Bergman Roof Cleaning

Ammonyx Lo and now Gain, mixed together for me!

if you are mixing on a per job basis, Youy can use almost anything. Gain allows you to mix solution for several days with no loss of strength.

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

There are thousands of roof cleaned everyday, with ONLY Sodium Hypochlorite and water alone!

You do not absolutely "need" any thing else. But, adding surfactants improve both the dwell time of the roof cleaning mix, and give a superior looking final product. Plus, these soaps help "lubricate" your pumps a bit.

I am a little late in the game here, but has anyone used "Panel Bright" as the surfactant? It does have a small amount of Sodium Hydroxide in it, but will mixing it at the small amounts be of any harm? Here is the MSDS.... http://energenofcarolina.com/Panel%20Bright.pdf

Thanks in advance!

Shane

It will work just fine

Would there be an advantage to using Ammonyx lo over the Panel Bright? I currently use the Panel Bright on house cleaning, pool cage cleaning, etc., is why I ask. If Ammonyx lo is a better product I would love to change, what are your thoughts?

Would there be an advantage to using Ammonyx lo over the Panel Bright? I currently use the Panel Bright on house cleaning, pool cage cleaning, etc., is why I ask. If Ammonyx lo is a better product I would love to change, what are your thoughts?

Any liquid soap like Ammonyx Lo will help build viscosity, the panel bright may not be as thick, but it should work well otherwise, try it, and let us know what u think ?

Would there be an advantage to using Ammonyx lo over the Panel Bright? I currently use the Panel Bright on house cleaning, pool cage cleaning, etc., is why I ask. If Ammonyx lo is a better product I would love to change, what are your thoughts?

Isn't panel bright a truck wash soap? Is that acid?

As most of you know, I have used Ammonyx Lo ever since it 1st came out. I tried the "M" but stuck with the "LO"

I tried some scents, but they cost too much. Then one day I ran into a post on RCIA from Chris T. about using Gain Ultra Dish Liquid Original. I tried it and have been using it for a couple of months. I tried straight Gain - 44 - 64 ounces to a 100 gal mix and tried 28 ounces Gain and about 40 ounces of Am Lo. So far, that seems to be the best [steeper roofs get more of both] Extremely blackened tile gets some TSP too. I run 40- 50% SH and the above mix.

Try it, you will like it! It alters the SH smell just enough to not be offensive!

Hi,

I'm a total newbie for roof washing (been running a water fed pole window cleaning business for 3 years and getting a lot of potential roof cleaning customers and I want to get it right - based in Scotland UK by the way..

The question I have is about the percentage figures quoted for the SH / Gain mix - you mentio0n that you use  40 - 50% SH? - do you mean that 40-50% of your total fluid volume is SH and the rest is a small % of Gain and the rest is water? If so whats the original concebntrate of SH before you add it to the mix? Or, do you mean that the original 'strength' of SH is 40-50% dilution as supplied by your supplier? Also do you use Gain because it contains surfactants?  (not to mention the smell?)

Regards

Richard

Hi,

I'm a total newbie for roof washing (been running a water fed pole window cleaning business for 3 years and getting a lot of potential roof cleaning customers and I want to get it right - based in Scotland UK by the way..

The question I have is about the percentage figures quoted for the SH / Gain mix - you mentio0n that you use  40 - 50% SH? - do you mean that 40-50% of your total fluid volume is SH and the rest is a small % of Gain and the rest is water? If so whats the original concebntrate of SH before you add it to the mix? Or, do you mean that the original 'strength' of SH is 40-50% dilution as supplied by your supplier? Also do you use Gain because it contains surfactants?  (not to mention the smell?)

Regards

Richard

33% seems to be the general rule of thumb as a starting point. Beyond that, you need to experiment with mixes and the reaction you get. Percentage strength will vary depending on the roof surface being sprayed. Low to high would be Metal, Asphalt, Tile. Percentages need to be raised for colder temperatures since the mix is less active at colder temps. Also, the roof itself can have an effect. A super mossy, ultra high GM bearing roof will benefit from a stronger mix.

The goal should always be to use the WEAKEST mix that does the job effectively in a time efficient manner. Less SH means less materials cost and less chance for plant damage from overspray.

I hate the excessive sudsing and use a product to lesson the sudsing. Its all well and good while your there,but if you come back after a heavy rain, even with gutters the chit is all over the driveway and bushes. No extra suds for me please. I'll take clean and no sudsing after any day.

I was wondering about the suds after a hard rain.  I know I read on some posts way back that most people are OK with it, but there will be some customers that will run around in a wild panic if they see their yard looking like an out of control washing machine.  I would think if you educate the customer about the possible suds action after a hard rain so they are not surprised, that you'll be OK.  

This is interesting. I wonder if I have caused a tidal wave of suds anywhere, lol. It rained a bit on the roof I did today, but I got it done in time. There were a little suds coming down the driveway, but not too much. I get more when I rinse them.

:-)

This thread I started back in 2013 just popped up again!

That's good, because I have changed my thinking some.

I now start roof jobs out at around 35% SH and unless they are really bad, I use only SH + Water.

Bad ones get up to 50% sh, 44 oz Gain and 1 lb to every 10 gallons of total mix of TSP.

I have noted a great difference in plant damage occurrences, using no Gain or TSP - just SH + H20.

The gain thickens the mix some and adds soap and surfactant. These properties help clean the roof! They make it stick and penetrate. They do that same thing to the plant leaves. So, use with prudence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uw8sAo69UI

:-)

This thread I started back in 2013 just popped up again!

That's good, because I have changed my thinking some.

I now start roof jobs out at around 35% SH and unless they are really bad, I use only SH + Water.

Bad ones get up to 50% sh, 44 oz Gain and 1 lb to every 10 gallons of total mix of TSP.

I have noted a great difference in plant damage occurrences, using no Gain or TSP - just SH + H20.

The gain thickens the mix some and adds soap and surfactant. These properties help clean the roof! They make it stick and penetrate. They do that same thing to the plant leaves. So, use with prudence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uw8sAo69UI

Same here Chuck, but TSP will never kill plants, it is actually a powerful fertilizer, as well as a cleaner. It is the Gain that kills them, and thicker surfactants are even worse. 

Like you said "The gain thickens the mix some and adds soap and surfactant. These properties help clean the roof! They make it stick and penetrate. They do that same thing to the plant leaves. So, use with prudence!"

Right Chris! I didn't say that clearly. I don't use gain or similar because they add to plant damage. I don't use TSP, unless I have a tile roof I don't think will come clean enough looking. TSP brightens up most tile, especially white tile! I prefer not to use TSP only because it's bothersome to mix up and fairly costly to add. This one below had lots of TSP in it!

Right Chris! I didn't say that clearly. I don't use gain or similar because they add to plant damage. I don't use TSP, unless I have a tile roof I don't think will come clean enough looking. TSP brightens up most tile, especially white tile! I prefer not to use TSP only because it's bothersome to mix up and fairly costly to add. This one below had lots of TSP in it!

I agree Chuck, TSP is a royal PITA to mix up, but it does produce results on some otherwise "hopeless" roofs. Using warm or even hot water greatly helps it break down.  When I want a shingle roof to look it's very best on a hot day, I will wet it all down with water first (one side at a time) and spray ot with some soap and TSP added to my mix. The wet shingle roof surface really seems to "activate the soap and TSP" and produces a roof cleaning to be very very proud of :)

In fact, when it is really hot outside, it is not a bad idea to wet the roof down with water first, to cool it down a bit. Shingle Roofs only, of course.