Kelly Lee

Which is better drawing from the bottom of tank or from the top? We currently draw..

Lets just nip this in the butt before it gets crazy. Whether it's from the top or a bulkhead it doesn't matter, neither way is wrong. Whatever way works for you is what you should do.

Neither is wrong, but which has it's advantages and disadvantages... Top:  no wasted extra solution, no EXTRA chance of leaking, it looks cooler, if you have a leak in your hose it won't drain your tank IF you don't have a shut off valve before your leak, overall more reliable... 

Bottom:  Fittings more are risk to fail from liquid pressure, better priming (depends on your pump), takes up more space... 

anything else? fill in the blanks

Top. Draw tube is more prone to being bumped/broken, easier to protect a bottom tube. draw tube in the tank subject to failure from liquid slosh movement if top bulkhead mounted....loose dip tubes tend to drip SH all over your truck/trailer/flatbed and require an open tank cover which tends to let in more debris. Harder to secure, worse priming, and ugly.

Bottom, better fluid flow with less restrictions, far better looking, prone to breaking if cheap bulkheads are used...don't skimp on the bulkheads and always use a flex fitting inline to allow for movement. Tank needs to be properly secured so it doesn't shift...bands are not enough,tank needs to be blocked. Tank can remain sealed much of the time...all of the time if transfer ports are used, eliminating debris intrusion. More complete tank draining if properly mounted. Used in chem tanks worldwide. Easier to flush sediments from tank.

In other words....tank draw is like religion, both sides have their proponents. I've done both and switched to bulkhead draw and found it far more reliable and less trouble prone. Others prefer top draw. Just pick what you like and just know each has its advantages and disadvantages. We transfer SH and water in from the top thru a bulkhead from a 3/4" air pump and draw from a big bottom bulkhead.

I don't think anyone has had those issues before man drawing from the top LOL.  if people are using removable loose draw tubes i'm sure someone isn't that dumb to just leave it in there while driving around (take it out close the lid).  Mines permanent and have had non of the issues you just mentioned.  

10333665_724228514300933_303918053082666

10348842_724228610967590_162695332594658

Top. Draw tube is more prone to being bumped/broken, easier to protect a bottom tube. draw tube in the tank subject to failure from liquid slosh movement if top bulkhead mounted....loose dip tubes tend to drip SH all over your truck/trailer/flatbed and require an open tank cover which tends to let in more debris. Harder to secure, worse priming, and ugly.

Bottom, better fluid flow with less restrictions, far better looking, prone to breaking if cheap bulkheads are used...don't skimp on the bulkheads and always use a flex fitting inline to allow for movement. Tank needs to be properly secured so it doesn't shift...bands are not enough,tank needs to be blocked. Tank can remain sealed much of the time...all of the time if transfer ports are used, eliminating debris intrusion. More complete tank draining if properly mounted. Used in chem tanks worldwide. Easier to flush sediments from tank.

In other words....tank draw is like religion, both sides have their proponents. I've done both and switched to bulkhead draw and found it far more reliable and less trouble prone. Others prefer top draw. Just pick what you like and just know each has its advantages and disadvantages. We transfer SH and water in from the top thru a bulkhead from a 3/4" air pump and draw from a big bottom bulkhead.

Yes, everyone has their own opinion! But we use pvc draw tubes mounted in rubber grommets, no leaks here. 

I don't think anyone has had those issues before man drawing from the top LOL.  if people are using removable loose draw tubes i'm sure someone isn't that dumb to just leave it in there while driving around (take it out close the lid).  Mines permanent and have had non of the issues you just mentioned.  

10333665_724228514300933_303918053082666

10348842_724228610967590_162695332594658

What are you using as a filter or strainer on suction hose?

For the past three years I used to draw from the top. I recently reconfigured my system by adding a flush tank and isolation values. I now draw from the bottom. I figured the plug in the bulk head never leaked for three years. Why should it start leaking now that I have a pipe versus a plug connected to it.

What are you using as a filter or strainer on suction hose?

See where that red / gray shut off valve is there?  That angled drop off is the filter.  Simply unscrew and rinse and re connect. 

See where that red / gray shut off valve is there?  That angled drop off is the filter.  Simply unscrew and rinse and re connect.

I see. I was thinking a screen or well pipe with slotted holes in tank