garyw

Distance was short, knew something was wrong

During a training excercise for 3 people from Dayton Ohio yesterday, I noticed that my "super" system was only shooting 45"-- 50" instead of the normal 70+'..  When I got home I took the end off of the custom stainless nozzle and below is what I found.  Amazing that it sprayed any thing at all. we're back to normal range now. Must have been stuck in the hose ever since I used to run a 12v system. Almost didn't reach the peak of the large church roof we cleaned.

post-27-0-35894600-1396814235_thumb.jpg

Thats the truth, and it saved me a return trip in the process. I now carry an allen wrench kit to take the nozzle apart on the job site, if necessary.

That right there is a testimony to having a big pump and big hose! Even partially blocked, you were shooting further than most pump setups!

That's right! 

I had an old Buick 455 V 8 in a Riviera that was only running on 6 cylinders for a good long time, and never knew it!

Gary doesnt have a 12 Volt system. He has a 1" Air Diaphragm pump system woth a big compressor. Probably the biggest rig on here for the time being. That is why he can shoot 40' while clogged! Your pump will do about 3 GPM...his will do 30.

Only a big 1" pump setup will give you that kind of reach with volume to boot if needed. There are other advantages to air as well. If you check my 1" Hastelloy Air Diaphragm pump thread, it has more info on the diffrrences between electric and air setups.

Gary doesnt have a 12 Volt system. He has a 1" Air Diaphragm pump system woth a big compressor. Probably the biggest rig on here for the time being. That is why he can shoot 40' while clogged! Your pump will do about 3 GPM...his will do 30.

Only a big 1" pump setup will give you that kind of reach with volume to boot if needed. There are other advantages to air as well. If you check my 1" Hastelloy Air Diaphragm pump thread, it has more info on the diffrrences between electric and air setups.

Actually it is rated at 46gpm. Never need that much,just like you never need 500HP in your car. But it sure is nice to know you have it if you ever need it.

Check out my rig here./

Damn Gary don't mess around! Is there a 12 volt that can shoot 50-70 ft? Boy crime must be pretty bad there in Louisville I see you have to lock everything up.

While I'm picking your brains. I hate my hose and gun. I don't play well with plastic and my gun that came with my pump in the box well I now It's gonna break and leave me hanging. And the damn hose is always leaking somewhere no matter how tight a cramp on the clamps. I'm hoping in the next month I can replace them both with something much more sturdy. Any suggestions? Remember I don't do this full time although I wish I did.

Do you have to have that big of a compressor to run a 1" pump?

No. A 1" pump will run on a smaller contractor compressor. But to shoot 75' you need some CFM and that is where the bigger air comes into play. I believe that compressor setup has a 20 CFM pump head section of memory serves me correctly. If he put a 40 CFM compressor head on there...and god knows he has the engine to do it... he would probably get 100+ feet...before it knocked him off the ladder and sent him flying around the neighborhood holding on for dear life from the force!

Damn Gary don't mess around! Is there a 12 volt that can shoot 50-70 ft? Boy crime must be pretty bad there in Louisville I see you have to lock everything up.

While I'm picking your brains. I hate my hose and gun. I don't play well with plastic and my gun that came with my pump in the box well I now It's gonna break and leave me hanging. And the damn hose is always leaking somewhere no matter how tight a cramp on the clamps. I'm hoping in the next month I can replace them both with something much more sturdy. Any suggestions? Remember I don't do this full time although I wish I did.

There ARE electric pumps that can flow that much...,but none that will run off of 12V and none that will hold up to corrosives. You would need a big generator onboard....might as well get a compressor and an air pump.

Gary will tell you about his nozzle setup...it is sweet. Everybody has the plastic trigger gun break. Mine broke in a month when I first got started with a PT setup. Most guys switch to Banjo or Ball valves.

Hoses...do you use pressure crimped fittings with threaded ends? If not, you should. I am gonna venture a guess that you use the clear hose with the Pump in a box? Barbed fittings with hose clamps will always leak unless you use multiple clamps and keep tightening them....and even then they drip. Pressure Washer Products is a good source for Hoses with crimped ends...both suction and spray.

Wise words above.

The good thing about the gun that came with your kit is that it can be operated with one hand.  It also shuts off when you release ie if you should drop it (presuming it doesn't break).  Having said that, we too switched to ball valve wands years ago. All of the parts can be sourced locally.

While everyone seems to have their favorites, I don't think one can go wrong with the Kuri-Tec agricultural hoses.  They have the press fitted 1/2 inch MPT connectors like you'd find on hydraulic hoses.  And it's nearly impossible to get kinks in them during the first few years of use. Bob at PressureTek sells the same hoses.