richard bond

Isuzu NPR / NQR Wash Rigs

I'm curious how many members out there are currently or have ran these trucks in their business. Any good or bad feedback would be much appreciated. I'm looking at either a stake bed or box truck being added next spring. I'm most curious about the MPG's the diesel's get?? Any pictures would be great! Thanks! 

post-2047-0-76971400-1412041635_thumb.jp

post-2047-0-45923800-1412041665_thumb.jp

post-2047-0-50314000-1412041720_thumb.jp

Had great luck with both the Mitsubishi Fuso's and the Isuzu NPR Diesels, especially the NPR HD's ! 

They are the ultimate truck, as far as ease of driving around goes.

The smallest truck was a gas mitsubishi, it was my very first one

post-1-0-84514000-1412101482_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-15353200-1412101448_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-74971000-1412101402_thumb.jpg

I spent about 3 months looking for a decent used NPR in my area. It didn't exist. They were all either way overpriced, or total pieces of garbage that the mechanic said would cost more to fix than they were selling for. I gave up and bought a 14' flatbed that was fleet maintained...which I STILL needed to pour some money into, but that is probably going to be the case with just about any used commercial vehicle which all tend to be driven hard and put away wet.

Mechanical inspection mechanical inspection mechanical inspection by somebody who actually KNOWS the vehicle in question...and a reserve when the mechanics ALL miss that one &*#!ing thing that breaks 3 weeks later....like the Diesel injection pump...that costs $3500 to fix. Yeah. 

I spent about 3 months looking for a decent used NPR in my area. It didn't exist. They were all either way overpriced, or total pieces of garbage that the mechanic said would cost more to fix than they were selling for. I gave up and bought a 14' flatbed that was fleet maintained...which I STILL needed to pour some money into, but that is probably going to be the case with just about any used commercial vehicle which all tend to be driven hard and put away wet.

Mechanical inspection mechanical inspection mechanical inspection by somebody who actually KNOWS the vehicle in question...and a reserve when the mechanics ALL miss that one &*#!ing thing that breaks 3 weeks later....like the Diesel injection pump...that costs $3500 to fix. Yeah. 

I know, good Isuzu NPR's are tuff to find used, in good condition, at a good price :( I just bought a 2001 F 350 Super Duty Flatbed with the Triton V 10 for 2900.00! The air is screwed up, hole in the exhaust, minor shit wrong, mainly cosmetic, but so far I am impressed with the Ford V 10!

I know, good Isuzu NPR's are tuff to find used, in good condition, at a good price :( I just bought a 2001 F 350 Super Duty Flatbed with the Triton V 10 for 2900.00! The air is screwed up, hole in the exhaust, minor shit wrong, mainly cosmetic, but so far I am impressed with the Ford V 10!

Yeah...you'll be impressed until you add up the fuel bill! YIKES! Those V-10's are great motors but great God Almighty do they suck down the petrol! They are cheap for a reason! One reason I like diesels is that in these parts, Diesel flatbeds are stupidly easy to sell if you bought them right. It is just the buying them right part that is so hard. 

As for the Air...man, you are in Florida...you NEED AC! My truck doesn't have it and we get what...a week a year when it is over 85 degrees? You guys are in a steam bath down there. Hottest I've ever been in my LIFE was Deltona FL in August visiting my grandparents. Thought I was gonna DIE! 

Yeah...you'll be impressed until you add up the fuel bill! YIKES! Those V-10's are great motors but great God Almighty do they suck down the petrol! They are cheap for a reason! One reason I like diesels is that in these parts, Diesel flatbeds are stupidly easy to sell if you bought them right. It is just the buying them right part that is so hard. 

As for the Air...man, you are in Florida...you NEED AC! My truck doesn't have it and we get what...a week a year when it is over 85 degrees? You guys are in a steam bath down there. Hottest I've ever been in my LIFE was Deltona FL in August visiting my grandparents. Thought I was gonna DIE! 

Well, one of our F 350 Fords has a 351 with a 4.10 rear end, and sucks gas like u would not believe, and the V 10 is much better on gas. Not like a Diesel to be sure, but not as bad as some trucks I have had. The AC will be fixed, and it is a necessity, as you said. 

Damn Peak, I usually buy my trucks new but thought I'd go late model used, low miles in decent shape. I found a 2012 NQR with 116000 miles on it down in Norfolk VA but it sold for 29900. before I could get there to look at it. After reading your above post I'm second guessing the used route now but new ones run around 50 - 60 K new..

Had great luck with both the Mitsubishi Fuso's and the Isuzu NPR Diesels, especially the NPR HD's ! 

They are the ultimate truck, as far as ease of driving around goes.

The smallest truck was a gas mitsubishi, it was my very first one

attachicon.giffirst%20roof%20cleaning%20truck.jpgattachicon.giftampa roof cleaning truck.JPGattachicon.gifisuzu npr.jpg

Hey Chris, Thanks for the tip, Im checking out the Fuso's now as well..

Damn Peak, I usually buy my trucks new but thought I'd go late model used, low miles in decent shape. I found a 2012 NQR with 116000 miles on it down in Norfolk VA but it sold for 29900. before I could get there to look at it. After reading your above post I'm second guessing the used route now but new ones run around 50 - 60 K new..

Why an NQR? Your fuel costs will go way up going to the bigger motor. If you don't need that much GVWR then you are just gong to be burning excess fuel. Also, you might need to check your state as I know in WA State, the current NQR requires a CL3 commercial license and the NPR is open. You might also check your insurance rates, higher weight class might bump your rates way up. 

Why an NQR? Your fuel costs will go way up going to the bigger motor. If you don't need that much GVWR then you are just gong to be burning excess fuel. Also, you might need to check your state as I know in WA State, the current NQR requires a CL3 commercial license and the NPR is open. You might also check your insurance rates, higher weight class might bump your rates way up.

Great advise on the insurance aspect.

So what MPGs do these cabover diesels get?

Hey Chris, Thanks for the tip, Im checking out the Fuso's now as well..

I had just as good luck with the Mitsubishi Fuso's as I have with the Isuzu NPR's, and be aware that certain Chevrolet or GMC trucks are really  Isuzu's that are merely relabeled.

One thing to check out on the Fuso OR NPR before you buy....make sure there is a mechanic in your area who KNOWS the truck. I was going to look for a Fuso in my search until it turned out nobody specialized in them. Also, from a Parts availability standpoint, the Isuzu is by far and away the most popular truck in my area, so tons more parts. You don't want to be down in the middle of July because nobody has the special, one off Mitsubishi Fardanquenstein Diode in stock in the entire country and it will take two weeks to bring it in from Japan.

One thing to check out on the Fuso OR NPR before you buy....make sure there is a mechanic in the are who KNOWS the truck. I was going to look for a Fuso in my search until it turned out nobody specialized in them. Also, from a Parts availability standpoint, the Isuzu is by far and away the most popular truck in my area, so tons more parts. You don't want to be down in the middle of July because nobody has the special, one off Mitsubishi Fardanquenstein Diode in stock in the entire country and it will take two weeks to bring it in from Japan.

Here in Tampa, we have a small Mitsubishi Truck dealer who is wonderful, and even have their own mini truck junkyard behind the dealership. They will even work on our old rusty Mitsubishi, right up until I junked it. The flatbed was rusted 1/2 off, then the tranny went. The diesel was still going strong at 345,000 miles :) 

Point well taken, I'll have to check with my Insurance Agent. Maryland license requirements are the same for both trucks and the NQR has the same engine as the NPR just heavier springs. I drove 3 1/2 hours one way yesterday to look at the NQR Box truck, their deposit fell through so I thought it was an omen till I  saw on the computerized odometer that it was only getting 9.8 miles per gallon. I jumped my ass right back into my Prius and hauled tail back to MD. I've chatted with several people on a couple of the forums that swear their getting 14 mpg and I believe them so maybe there was an issue with this one. Although it was a 2012 with 113K on it and still under warranty. They tried to tell me they leave it sitting around Idling a lot, offered them 25K but they turned me down. Kinda glad they did, I didn't want to drive it 3 1/2 hours home anyway, it definitely drives like a truck. I'm looking at the NQR stake bed now, we have a big ass air compressor and I want to add a hot machine and bigger tanks on it to replace my full size Chevy pick-up air rig that we ran this year. Also looking for an NPR Ecomax box truck to replace my other roof truck, an old 05 Dodge 4x4 that I'll save just for plowing in the winter, maybe I'll milk it for a few more years that way.. People are swearing the Eco Boxes are getting 15-16, hell, thats better than my Tundras!

Here in Tampa, we have a small Mitsubishi Truck dealer who is wonderful, and even have their own mini truck junkyard behind the dealership. They will even work on our old rusty Mitsubishi, right up until I junked it. The flatbed was rusted 1/2 off, then the tranny went. The diesel was still going strong at 345,000 miles :) 

That sounds like the way a good spray truck should go out, run it right into the ground and then sell it for scrap!

Great advise on the insurance aspect.

So what MPGs do these cabover diesels get?

The one I looked at (after driving 3 1/2 hours to get there) at least according to the odometer, said it was only getting 9.8 mpg.. I've talked to several reputable people who claim 14, one was a box truck and the rest stake beds. I couldn't justify putting that much money into the pockets of countries that hate us, my wife and I both drive hybrids and I have solar panels on my roof. I try and stick it back to them every chance I get, ever since the Navy Seals sent OBL to his 101 virgins at the bottom of the sea it's been a paid holiday for our company ever since..

That sounds like the way a good spray truck should go out, run it right into the ground and then sell it for scrap!

10-4 on the scrap good buddy :)  I got my new to us 2001 V 10 Ford F 350 Super Duty at the shop now, for new exhaust, AC fix, and tune up. Plugs and fuel filter were all severely corroded, a wonder it even ran! Plus, the AC actually WORKS ! Some idiot removed the pigtail from it, and a new one is on the way.

Can't wait to get her on the road!