Sign in to follow this  
Bergman Roof Cleaning

Older Roof Folks-After all these years and all RCIA has taught many of us

What are you using as a roof mix and equipment?

There have been popular surfactants-I used Ammonyx Lo for years, but had to drive over 100 miles to Tampa to get it.

I tried everything else as it came out and then, as has happened to me many times-even though I have been cleaning roofs with no pressure since sometime in the mid to late 90's [ I'm guessing from some of my pictures I've run into, that were dated, that it's since about 1996 or so?

Anyway, I learned from RCIA that GAIN dish liquid was compatible with SH, so that's what I've used ever since. Shingled roofs 30-35% SH and in my 100 gal mix tank about 44 oz of Gain-period.

On tile, a 45-50% SH mix with 44-88 oz Gain and on very dirty, light colored roofs, about 15lb of TSP per 100 gal mix.

I stuck with the Delavan 5gpm 12 volt delivery system, just because

I'm almost 70 and too old to bother switching to air.

My son is in the same business [ and now that he is largely recuperated from his fall in 2014 ] is working for me again-but mainly just pressure washing, or doing the lower portion of roofs from the ground. I do the rest.

Anyway, he bought a double air delivery system = 2 compressors, 2 air pumps and carries 2 12 volt pumps for backup.

HE LOVES THE AIR SYSTEM! However, they don't come cheap and after less than 2 years is on his 3rd pump and 2nd compressor-and that's about to meet it's maker! LOL

How about you?

We are still using air, at least my son is, I am retired! 

Still using Gain, when we use a surfactant, and since I left, no more TSP :( 

LOL, they are too lazy to mix it

Hi Chris, I never got on the air bandwagon, but I know it's a better pump system than my 5 gpm Delavan system.

I seldom use the TSP because I buy it retail and it's too expensive-besides too much bother.

I'm glad you brought Gain to my attention though! THANKS!