Howie Scarboro

Northern NSQ 7gpm vs. Fatboy 2 7gpm

Putting together my first rig, which is the better 12v pump, the Northern NSQ or the Fatboy 2?  Planning on starting with a 65g leg tank with a solid 7gpm 12v pump.  The 65g tank will become my chemical tank when I upgrade to a 100g mix tank down the road.  I'm going to spend the extra money now and get the 5/8' Kuri Tec hose for better flow rate along with an accumulator tank. I plan to bypass the pump relay with a solenoid to resolve that weak point of the 12v systems.  Are you guys using spray guns or just fabricating your own with pvc and ball valves? 

In everyone's experience, what is the average mix consumption per square?  I've read that a 100g mix tank will do 3 average residential roofs.  This would mean the 65g would be plenty for 2 average roofs or 1 roof plus a housewash and flatwork.

I had two FatBoy pumps. That being said I will just say my experience was not the same as those that praise them. I currently have two NSQ pumps among other type pumps

Congrats on putting together your first rig. I still get excited working on mine. I remember asking a lot of the same questions at one point. I will share with you what works for me.

Best pump? Air pump. No experience with 12v.

Gun? I actually use a stainless steel pressure washing gun. Just in case I drop it, that way it won't be spraying chems all over. I have about a year of use on it so far. 

Mix consumption = At first you will probably use more than you need until you get the hang of it. I wouldn't schedule two roof jobs on the same day with only a 65 gallon tank at first. 

ive used them all and im back to the fatboy 2 pump... Tried the fatboy original the NT 7.0 pump the all flow and now back to running 2 dual pump systems and one stand alone fatboy... The air has really been hyped up on the forums..

No hype to if, if you  use a good size air pump and not a toy size been  thru all the 12v and most are junk after 6 months of use. Got over 3yrs of use on my1" ARO.

ive used them all and im back to the fatboy 2 pump... Tried the fatboy original the NT 7.0 pump the all flow and now back to running 2 dual pump systems and one stand alone fatboy... The air has really been hyped up on the forums..

Just for my information Lee, how was the Northern Tool vs the Fat Boy ?

And what kind of dual pump systems are u running these days, dual Fat Boys ?

Just for my information Lee, how was the Northern Tool vs the Fat Boy ?

And what kind of dual pump systems are u running these days, dual Fat Boys ?

it was comparable to the original fatboy I only used it once now i have it as a backup transfer pump- The ones I run now are the fatboy 2's at 100psi.  The air system was great for when the reliability of the 12v's wasn't very good and no accumulator was available, but now the "allflow" is comparable to the fatboy 2's. Obviously if you go to a larger 1" pump you will have more volume=more distance.

The fatboy original is going on over 4 years now- gets periodic use

5850 transfer does straight 12.5% every day and is now 4 years old.

fatboy 2's are 2 years old and never had to switch over to the backup pump and they are used everyday

Allflow lasted a year of everyday use- didn't like the pulsing with the air- the compressor noise or the clicking the pump made. Electric is easy, if you have to set it down for an hour and do something else its off, not running in the truck

All pumps are flushed out with 5 gallons of water

The next setup we will try is the electric booster pump some of the guys are running for applying roof mix ( they last about 6 months) and are getting great distance out of them

it was comparable to the original fatboy I only used it once now i have it as a backup transfer pump- The ones I run now are the fatboy 2's at 100psi.  The air system was great for when the reliability of the 12v's wasn't very good and no accumulator was available, but now the "allflow" is comparable to the fatboy 2's. Obviously if you go to a larger 1" pump you will have more volume=more distance.

The fatboy original is going on over 4 years now- gets periodic use

5850 transfer does straight 12.5% every day and is now 4 years old.

fatboy 2's are 2 years old and never had to switch over to the backup pump and they are used everyday

Allflow lasted a year of everyday use- didn't like the pulsing with the air- the compressor noise or the clicking the pump made. Electric is easy, if you have to set it down for an hour and do something else its off, not running in the truck

All pumps are flushed out with 5 gallons of water

The next setup we will try is the electric booster pump some of the guys are running for applying roof mix ( they last about 6 months) and are getting great distance out of them

These look very promising http://mkrittenhouse.com/us/hypro-versa-twin-2130-series-plunger-pump, especially the D399 model!

Electric Booster Pumps like the Goulds, and the ones from Grainger are nothing new, and require a bypass back to the tank, if you want to turn them off.

They also run off 117 volts, so you will need a generator.

Some roofs we do are on vacant houses w/o any power.

Larger air pump do not pulse as bad as the 3/8 pump does.

So, you have been successful cranking the Fat Boy up to 100 Psi ?

The Dayton pump doesn't need to be returned to the tank I believe, you can also add it inline at your home to increase pressure to bathtubs/sinks etc to boost pressure.. The pressure they are getting from them looks great- Check out Ray Burke's Videos on youtube...

I don't have a pressure gauge on the fatboy 2's, however I have turned the screw up about a turn and a half on the bottom and it hasn't blown up yet...

I forgot I also have a versamatic air pump new in the box that I haven't tried yet either.. Ill make a review later

Again, this is just my 2 cents from experience... I'm up for trying any pump that anyone suggests and will make video's/give opinion on all the specs so that everyone can see how they all operate (when I catch up and get some free time!)

The Dayton pump doesn't need to be returned to the tank I believe, you can also add it inline at your home to increase pressure to bathtubs/sinks etc to boost pressure.. The pressure they are getting from them looks great- Check out Ray Burke's Videos on youtube...

I don't have a pressure gauge on the fatboy 2's, however I have turned the screw up about a turn and a half on the bottom and it hasn't blown up yet...

I forgot I also have a versamatic air pump new in the box that I haven't tried yet either.. Ill make a review later

Again, this is just my 2 cents from experience... I'm up for trying any pump that anyone suggests and will make video's/give opinion on all the specs so that everyone can see how they all operate (when I catch up and get some free time!)

Here is the manual for that Dayton Booster Pump Lee http://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/Dayton-Booster-Pumps-OIPM.pdf

Because they are a positive displacement pump w/o a shut off switch, they will keep building pressure when the gun is closed. Not a big deal really, simply run them with a pressure regulator, and a bypass hose, going back into your tank.

That way, not only can you regulate pressure and flow, but you will keep your pump from deadheading and burning or blowing up.

Small Generators to run that pump are pretty cheap, and the Goulds Booster Pump is supposed to be much better then the Gayton, I mean Dayton :)

Honestly Lee, IF I needed a pump with more pressure and shooting ability, and did not want to go to a big ass air compressor, and a one inch air pump, I would take a good hard look at the link to those new Hypro 12 volt plunger pumps I posted.

ill take a look and see, Im content with our setups now ( and if the guys dont like how far they shoot they can add a lance or walk further up the roof!!) But im always up for playing with new things!

I had to fire a roof cleaner we once had, because he was killing so many plants!

Actually, I fired his ground man first, until I figured out it was NOT his ground man's fault. He was Chicken Shit, and instead of walking down a shingle roof to spray, the scared bastard simply stood at the top of the roof, and allowed our huge pumps to "flood the roof", creating run off his groundsman was incapable of handling :(

AS a long time trainer of roof cleaners, I always look for FEAR. You can not have a fear of heights, and work for me. If I see ANY fear, all roof cleaning training ceases at once.

In a small roof cleaning company like ours, ALL employees must be cross trained. All our ground guys also clean roofs.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612302_200612302

I can't find an 80psi version, is there an adjustment screw on this model to crank it?  Also, is there a relay problem with these and is it recommended that we use a solenoid instead?  Would cutting into the harness void the warranty?

​Well, since we don't use any 12 volt pumps, I am not for sure, but there must be a pressure adjust screw. I have never seen any 12 volt pump w/o one. The pressure switch in these is made by Honeywell, and is supposed to be far better then on any other 12 volt pump. 

What site is that?  Do you think they just cranked up the adjustment screw or is it a new product number?

​the site is www.pwmall.com. I spoke with Support and asked them the difference between the 60 and the 100 psi pumps. He explained the pump is a little different and not just the same pump with the pressure switch dialed up.

​"the site is www.pwmall.com. I spoke with Support and asked them the difference between the 60 and the 100 psi pumps. He explained the pump is a little different and not just the same pump with the pressure switch dialed up.""

I would be interested to hear about the spray distance comparison between the FB2/60psi and the FB2/100psi. 

Edited by Howie Scarboro

I finally swamped my new FB 100 psi pump. Though I did not conduct a scientific comparison between my old FB 60psi and this new FB 100 psi, the new one did seem to shot a few feet further. They both cost the same. Assuming they last about the same amount of usage I don't see why one wouldn't purchase the 100 psi vs the older 60 psi.