Justin Baker

My first roof

Hey guys, I know I seem to have disappeared but that's not the case lol I been really busy with life BS..Not to get into any of that, I just wanted to show u guys my first roof and my setup! I am "under the table" at the moment waiting on some things to clear with my employer before I go all in, So I actually have done 2 roofs this past week and they look pretty good in my opinion...But I think I skimped on the application, my chem wand (made my self) was thrown together and I didn't like it...it basicly was a really wide flat mist..anyway I just ordered the master nozzle and was wondering if I could use it in applying the chem?? if not that's fine..just wondering. I did a full rinse on them and had to go back over a few spots but I think my next one will go smoother..I used a total of about 20 gallons of mix(around 3% with gain ultra as a surfactant) it was close to 2,000 sq ft I think..(used a geo app for measurement)

post-2737-0-85402900-1430967136_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-23215000-1430967161_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-94064600-1430967190_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-28966700-1430967384_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-52368100-1430967412_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-15160800-1430967432_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-46770800-1430967552_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-10215700-1430967592_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-32797000-1430967618_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-94408900-1430967644_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-63335800-1430967671_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-29319900-1430967795_thumb.jp

Thanks guys, also i see a lot of guys don't rinse the roof?? If I rinse 1/3 bottom part of the roof is it safe to say I wouldn't kill the landscape? I think someone told me that awhile back...I just know it took a long time to rinse lol and on the 2nd roof it left a a yellowish tint after it dried...we haven't got any rain coming till next week sometime..I'm guessing it will come off with the rain..is there no way to prevent that?

Nicely done! Post up those rig pictures!

Those first few roofs are a lot of fun. I enjoy doing the low pitch single story homes because they are easy. I still try to reserve one or two for myself and my daughter to do on a Saturday since they are pretty fun. Problem is, my crews are running 7 days a week right now so the equipment is running non stop and we are booked out for weeks and weeks. Might just have to put a little 1/2" rig together on one of the old trailers...or pick up a cheap F150 and toss a small rig in the back so I can clean something.

Haha I hear ya boss! I love my little all flo, I sprayed my yard for mosquitoes with it a few weeks ago...it was a lot faster than back pack spraying lmao. But the tip I used on the roof was holding me back I think....took about an hour to get one thin coat...just gonna experiment with the master nozzle and see how it does for me...should I soak it in antifreeze after every job?

Nice little rig! Good to see the little All Flo is working...neat little pump. 

And you Sir, win the award for most creative use of Rims in a hose storage application. Damn that is a good...albeit Redneck... idea! 

:goodjob:

Last but not least...a warning. Antifreeze, if made with Ethylene Glycol, is absolutely fatal to pets and small animals. It smells and tastes sweet so they are attracted to it, but even an amount as small as a teaspoon will cause fatal liver damage unless you get them to the vet immediately. If you are gong to use Antifreeze as a corrosion preventative, use Propylene Glycol based AF (they are often labeled as Pet Safe). The last thing you want to do is to kill a customer's family pet because while you were on the truck, they were sniffing around the trailer and lapping up that tasty smelling green stuff. 

Haha thanks man, those rims work quite well! It basicly unrolls itself as I pull it...wrap up is pretty easy too, may post a video of the pump in action if I have time today...the master nozzle will be here anyy minute now! And thanks for the tip! I had a pit bull die from my old neighbors antifreeze hotdog weenies several years back! Boy I was pissed...

Thanks guys, also i see a lot of guys don't rinse the roof?? If I rinse 1/3 bottom part of the roof is it safe to say I wouldn't kill the landscape? I think someone told me that awhile back...I just know it took a long time to rinse lol and on the 2nd roof it left a a yellowish tint after it dried...we haven't got any rain coming till next week sometime..I'm guessing it will come off with the rain..is there no way to prevent that?

Yes, if there are no gutters present, rinse the bottom 1/3 of the roof from the ground, then rinse the plants really good, and possible plant death will be prevented, and/or greatly reduced!

Congrats by the way, all of us here at the RCIA are quite proud of you :)

Thanks Chris! Ive got some learning to do but think I'm gonna enjoy it!! Btw here's the 3/8 all flo with the master nozzle in action....I had just turned my compressor off and let the air bleed down thru my pump...This nozzle is a beast! Now I gotta figure out how to apply the chem without to much over spray :P

Haha thanks doug, That's 200ft of hose and it takes me about 6 mins to roll up and about 1 min to unroll..its effortless. lol I just bungee the middle part to keep it tight on the reel. Video is now up on my last post, my internet was being retarded..

For future reference..it is better to put the videos on YouTube or another public video streaming service. First off, they load faster. Second, you aren't burning up Chris's server hosting space by storing 230 MB of video. If you could please move them, it would be appreciated.

Thanks Chris! Ive got some learning to do but think I'm gonna enjoy it!! Btw here's the 3/8 all flo with the master nozzle in action....I had just turned my compressor off and let the air bleed down thru my pump...This nozzle is a beast! Now I gotta figure out how to apply the chem without to much over spray :P

Set it up like this.

pic # 7

Hey Justin,..in the picture highlighting the All-Flo,..what is the reasoning behind the big gray hose that runs out of the exhaust?  Is that just to send the "puffs" out the bottom or something? 

Just wondering.

Jeff Wible

Raystown Roof Cleaning 

That is to help muffle the exhaust. The exhaust on the AODD pumps is fairly loud and the mufflers suck. Running it into the rinse tank is a good way to do it...or under the truck/trailer. 

That's one thing I'll give the Versa-Matic pump I have,..it seems to have a decent muffler,..you don't realize it until you take it off,Ha,Ha. But yea,..I can see running it out further and down to muffle it more.

Jeff

Damn you did a good job on your first roof.  Did you have a helper rinsing while you were spraying?  It's tough to do a house alone without a rinser!    That rig is so beast,  I wish that's what my first setup looked like haha.  

I wouldn't advise wrecking a really nice nozzle that's really nice for rinsing.  Stainless steel PITS like crazy from SH.  Get a trigger gun from the power wash store with 1540 (or 1530), 2530, 0020, 0030 MEG tips attached to a 4 banger holder.  It will last much longer.  If you live in a really hot climate you dont need crazy flow tips, you will just waste chemical.