woody70

Box Truck Setup

Finally getting around to getting box truck setup.  It is an 1990 Isuzu NPR with a 15' box.  I will keep the post updated as I go.  

post-2671-0-23703700-1430092771_thumb.jp

I put down rubber flooring today.  The back of my box truck is made of wood.  Seems like most today are metal. I talked with several forum members and researched it to the point of exhaustion.  I was originally going to go with POR-15.  It is really designed for metal and not wood.  It says it will work on wood under certain conditions.  So, I contacted POR-15 and asked what they thought or if they had any other suggestions.  They thought that, in the end, it wouldn't be a good fit in my scenario.  My wood floors are very old, stained up with oil, grease and who knows what else.  There are other equivalent products to POR-15, but they all said the same thing.  Keep in mind, I'm not trying to spend an arm and a leg here.  Budget is limited (as is for most of us here starting out).  I started leaning toward rubber flooring for some basic protection.  I found every kind of rubber flooring on the planet from just doing some basic google searches.  Prices were decent for the most part.  Until you calculated shipping.  You want HOW MUCH to ship that light roll of rubber?  I would find a roll that would cost $150, but shipping would be $299.  No, not $2.99, I mean $299.00!!!! Oh good grief Charlie Brown!  Had the bright idea of looking locally.  I live in a pretty big city, but I couldn't find anyone that carried it in stock or that would call me back once they found out I only need 120 sq ft and not 10,000 sq ft.  Well, while I was in Harbor Freight picking up the air compressor I was shopping around picking up odds and ends.  I stumbled across these interlocking rubber flooring pieces.  I think it was 17 sq ft for $7.99.  I bought 7 of them, but will need to go back and buy one more to finish up.

post-2671-0-66976800-1430092607_thumb.jp

I would have preferred on nice big piece, but hey I couldn't beat the price on this.  I know if I have a spill it can leak underneath the tiles if it gets to the interlocking tabs.  That's a chance I'm willing to take.  If this was a 2015 model, it would be different.  

Here are a few more shots:

Harbor Freight Air Compressor after I installed the remaining rubber floor tiles.

post-2671-0-43616500-1430092762_thumb.jp

Two 275 gallon totes 

post-2671-0-35518600-1430092755_thumb.jp

Three 275 gallon totes

post-2671-0-13135800-1430092739_thumb.jp

Looks like it might work, but I would end up puncturing that; probably before I finished installing it!!  I deal with those types of liners in landscaping, ponds,  and water features in my other business.  Hey, if it works in your application go for it. Once I get a newer box truck I will probably use POR-15.  

Ive been torn about buying a truck like this it keeps everything safe and is a rolling bill board but ive also noticed at every store I stop at all the old timers staring at my equipment on my trailer I wonder if it was in a enclosed trailer or box truck if they just see the sign and walk on but when they see all the junk I got on there they want to look at it. I also wonder if I got a trailer and just filled it with random junk that didnt work and just a small walmart pressure washer in the corner that worked if people would still hire me cause they think it looks professional. Id like to have a truck like this cause some drive ways i cant back my 20 ft trailer in. either way looks good

My only concern, its PVC, could get quite slick if wet.

That's all I would need; accidentally do the splits.  I'd probably be down and out for the rest of the year!

Ive been torn about buying a truck like this it keeps everything safe and is a rolling bill board but ive also noticed at every store I stop at all the old timers staring at my equipment on my trailer I wonder if it was in a enclosed trailer or box truck if they just see the sign and walk on but when they see all the junk I got on there they want to look at it. I also wonder if I got a trailer and just filled it with random junk that didnt work and just a small walmart pressure washer in the corner that worked if people would still hire me cause they think it looks professional. Id like to have a truck like this cause some drive ways i cant back my 20 ft trailer in. either way looks good

Yeah, I guess everything has its pluses and minuses.  I know down here it will feel like a steam bath in there between the heat and humidity.  There are days with landscaping company that I change clothes 4-5 times a day.  I feel you on the trailers.  It has been raining so much down here that I got a trailer and my truck stuck in a customers yard.  I had to use his tractor to pull both out.  He's a good friend so he didn't care, thankfully.  

Sam's Club has Versaroll garage flooring made of PVC in rolls of 6.5'x 20'and 9' x 20'. It has a raised diamond pattern for non-slip. I just bought a roll to cover my trailer with, cost $99. and shipping was $18.

Now everyone comes up with the answers!  LOL, just kidding.  I probably should have asked on here in hindsight.  But, I'm happy with what I have.  The HF squares have diamond plating on top, but I found those things a slick as all get out and they aren't even wet yet!  I flipped them over and now its like a pair of cougar paws.  World of difference and the bottom (now top) is still water proof.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a chance the bottoms of those squares might be neoprene. Very sticky but the SH will tear it up like crazy leaving you with...a slick surface. Good news is that the stuff isn't that expensive if you needed to replace a few squares. It isn't on the HF website. 

Now you know why bedliner is mentioned so often! I will probably caulk the joints of the wood and hit it with some sort of coating on mine...and I like the idea of the Sams Club liner. The metal on the back of the truck will most likely get done with Por-15 and one of their 2 part top coats in a bright color so the guys can see the back edge. The sides will probably get the Plasti-dip treatment. 

Are you planning to do the fill and vent lines like I laid out in the design I sent?

Heat wise...I wonder if some radiant barrier would make any difference on the ceiling...plus making sure the top of the truck is nice and white...and a roof vent. I have pondered putting in a couple of small side vents on each side of the box in back then mounting a small solar fan on the roof. It gets hot and sunny...fan is going to be on. 

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Truck-Cargo-Trailer-Vents/dp/B006R5LLLY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430185942&sr=8-4&keywords=trailer+vent

http://etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Camco/CAM40431.html

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-42162-Solar-Panel-Refrigerator/dp/B002OUF554/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1430186785&sr=8-6&keywords=solar+rv+fan

Maybe some solar reflective paint...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-287-4-75-Gal-Solarflex-White-Roof-Coating-HE287SF871/100051140

I coated the floor with epoxy. Built a gun rack. Put plywood on walls. Built a shelf over water tote. Put storage boxes toward the door of truck for easy access of most used items. Acess door on each side with a 8 gpm machine on each side

A Gun Rack. In the roof cleaning truck. Now that is something I hadn't thought of! Though they would have to be oiled...a LOT.

The only thing that is currently reasonably cheap to shoot are the Mosin and the Mossberg. The Mosin ammo is all corrosive MilSurp meaning you

have to clean the thing every damned time or risk rusting the Russki Rifle.

Damn 22LR shortage is killing my weekend fun. I WANT my Cheap Blazer 22LR bricks back dammit! If only I had stocked up. Sigh. 

So you do landscaping as well

Yes, I'm licensed in landscaping and irrigation here, but everyone and there brother is doing it (mostly without licenses, i.e. - 97%!!).  Trying to slowly phase out of it.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a chance the bottoms of those squares might be neoprene. Very sticky but the SH will tear it up like crazy leaving you with...a slick surface. Good news is that the stuff isn't that expensive if you needed to replace a few squares. It isn't on the HF website. 

Now you know why bedliner is mentioned so often! I will probably caulk the joints of the wood and hit it with some sort of coating on mine...and I like the idea of the Sams Club liner. The metal on the back of the truck will most likely get done with Por-15 and one of their 2 part top coats in a bright color so the guys can see the back edge. The sides will probably get the Plasti-dip treatment. 

Are you planning to do the fill and vent lines like I laid out in the design I sent?

Heat wise...I wonder if some radiant barrier would make any difference on the ceiling...plus making sure the top of the truck is nice and white...and a roof vent. I have pondered putting in a couple of small side vents on each side of the box in back then mounting a small solar fan on the roof. It gets hot and sunny...fan is going to be on. 

http://www.amazon.com/Cycle-Truck-Cargo-Trailer-Vents/dp/B006R5LLLY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430185942&sr=8-4&keywords=trailer+vent

http://etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Camco/CAM40431.html

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-42162-Solar-Panel-Refrigerator/dp/B002OUF554/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1430186785&sr=8-6&keywords=solar+rv+fan

Maybe some solar reflective paint...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-287-4-75-Gal-Solarflex-White-Roof-Coating-HE287SF871/100051140

Probably right on the HF squares, but it'll work as long as it last a few months till I get something better.  Yes, we will talk.  I'm down with either method.

I coated the floor with epoxy. Built a gun rack. Put plywood on walls. Built a shelf over water tote. Put storage boxes toward the door of truck for easy access of most used items. Acess door on each side with a 8 gpm machine on each side

That's some setup!  What brand epoxy did you use and how is it holding up?  Are your floors wood or metal?

That's some setup!  What brand epoxy did you use and how is it holding up?  Are your floors wood or metal?

It came from Sherwin Williams. I will find a can and get back. I think I remember reading it had been used on battleships. Supposed to be good and has been. All kinds of spills,overflows,leaks in box trucks.

I deal with a bunch of bottom feeders doing what I do we dont do lawn maitence just new land scape or fix messed up ones my main money is installing pine straw and you guys that dont live in this corner have no idea what thats about but I have guys try to out bid me every day with short needle installed for $3 a bale its a joke. Pressure washing has been much better there still guys who amaze me with there low prices but they dont last long I think seems they realize there losing money or they take so long to do a job they dont get in my cookie jar. I seen a guy the other day advertise he would clean any gutters for $40 bucks i wouldnt tie my shoes for that

It came from Sherwin Williams. I will find a can and get back. I think I remember reading it had been used on battleships. Supposed to be good and has been. All kinds of spills,overflows,leaks in box trucks.

Look forward to finding out what it is.

I deal with a bunch of bottom feeders doing what I do we dont do lawn maitence just new land scape or fix messed up ones my main money is installing pine straw and you guys that dont live in this corner have no idea what thats about but I have guys try to out bid me every day with short needle installed for $3 a bale its a joke. Pressure washing has been much better there still guys who amaze me with there low prices but they dont last long I think seems they realize there losing money or they take so long to do a job they dont get in my cookie jar. I seen a guy the other day advertise he would clean any gutters for $40 bucks i wouldnt tie my shoes for that

I hear you.  I know there are bottom feeders in every market and it can hurt your bottom line sometimes.  I will still keep a handful of select clients on the landscaping front, but look forward to roof cleaning.

thats what i like about doing both types of work i bid what i want and i wont budge on my price at all i had a lady want me wash her roof drive way and house i priced it for 1500 she came back said i was higher than all the other bids i explained that i do good work and it speaks for itself then 3 weeks later she called back wanting to know if id come down any and i told her no then she called back and schduled the ones looking for the cheapest sometimes learn there lesson and then go for quailty work, i bid a bobcat job for 1100 the other day guy rolls up bids it for 500 he had tires and not tracks tore her yard up and couldnt do the job lady called me back this time price went up to fix the hacks work. Land scaping is good just got to weed out the sorry clients no diffrent than them weeding out sorry contractors.

Ok, I'm going to rip out all the HF rubber mats and paint the floor with Sherwin-Williams Tile Clad HS Epoxy.  Great chemical resistance and you can put it on a variety of materials.  Here is the pdf:

Tile Clad HS.pdf

There are two parts to it.  You get one gallon of part A and one gallon of part B.  Coverage is up to 400 sq ft depending on material.  Cost for two one gallons containers was $177.  Now I gotta take all the stuff out of the truck again.  Wife is just going to have to park outside the garage for the next few days.