Doug Riemer

Workers comp help

I got a couple properties im trying to get on and they require workers comp to even paint the mail boxes. The problem im having is it seems that as soon as they find out i clean roofs no one wants to deal with me and im having a hard time before that seems as soon as they find out im landscaping also they wont fool with me. Any one have these issues or can refer me to someone who can help me. Also whats a resonable price for workers comp insurance Thanks guys

WA State has state worker's comp insurance. I think I pay somewhere around $3.50/hr/employee for roof cleaning. You might want to contact Joe Walthers insurance to see if they handle Worker's Comp for your state. 

Do you guys use workers comp seems every company i message has no issue getting me wc with the landscaping at what seems reasonable to me but i mention pressure washing red flag but then i say roof cleaning thats all she wrote

Used to be, if you had NO employees and were the owner, you were NOT required to have WC on yourself.

And from what I understand as long as i have only 4 workers I dont have to have it and never have had it but I got 2 property managers I want to work with and they require it before I step on the property and I guess pressure washing must be the most dangerous job in the world I have had the same liabilty company 4 years with no claims so in my mind it should say we work safe then ive never been sued by a injured employee should say we work safe but soon as they see i pressure wash no workers comp for me. Any suggestions please let me know I live in ga I looked at ga state workers comp but I couldnt follow that to see if it was something I could get.

And from what I understand as long as i have only 4 workers I dont have to have it and never have had it but I got 2 property managers I want to work with and they require it before I step on the property and I guess pressure washing must be the most dangerous job in the world I have had the same liabilty company 4 years with no claims so in my mind it should say we work safe then ive never been sued by a injured employee should say we work safe but soon as they see i pressure wash no workers comp for me. Any suggestions please let me know I live in ga I looked at ga state workers comp but I couldnt follow that to see if it was something I could get.

Are you sure those PM are going to use you?? If you are guessing, it may not be worth the stress you are putting yourself thru.  Old saying "there are plenty of fish in the sea"

Its some ive been working with for years that use me on the properties that they can but theres other properties that they cant let me on ive got 6 diffrent pms i work with and i lose at least 1 good job a month because i dont have it so i hope that if i get it one good job would cover it for the year and make me a little safer. not sure what happens when a employee gets hurt how it falls back on me and so forth luckly it hasnt happend to me but if it did id like to cover myself and the employee.

Doug, Sorry to dig up this old thread BUT I see you are in GA....I was wondering if you ever got WC or just continued business without it? I am dealing with this very issue right now. We just recieved this email from an insurance provider and I just cant see how we can afford it....Did you find reasonable WC coverage?

"I found out that if you include the roof services, we have to include the roofing class code. This class code is the most expensive Workers Compensation class code. With that code included my quotes are over $50k per year."

Thank you!

I'm in TN and exempted myself as the business owner, so I didn't have to have it until I hired an employee.  That said, I only hire ground guys so their rate is low.  I'm still the only one who climbs a ladder (but that will change in the spring) and I'm the ONLY one who ever steps on a roof. You want to stay away from that roofer classification (5551) as long as you can.

Yeah, that roofer classification is super expensive. In GA the businesses can have upto 4 employees, I believe, without having to have WC. 

My problem is that some homeowners here have insurance that require any contractors that work on thier propety to have it.

Most of these folks have very nice, very large homes in very nices neighborhoods!

Yeah, that roofer classification is super expensive. In GA the businesses can have upto 4 employees, I believe, without having to have WC. 

My problem is that some homeowners here have insurance that require any contractors that work on thier propety to have it.

Most of these folks have very nice, very large homes in very nices neighborhoods!

Personally, I wouldn't want to have ONE employee without insurance.  Guys get hurt.  Just a few weeks ago one of my helpers tripped over a log that was close the house and landed on a ladder we had (stupidly) laid on the ground and not put away yet.  Cut his hand.  Now...he didn't need medical treatment, but that's the kind of stuff that can happen so easy. You have one guy break a bone or worse and you don't have a way to help him.  

On top of that, from a homeowners perspective.  I don't want anyone working on my property that isn't insured.  It falls on your homeowners policy and that's bad news.

Personally, I wouldn't want to have ONE employee without insurance.  Guys get hurt.  Just a few weeks ago one of my helpers tripped over a log that was close the house and landed on a ladder we had (stupidly) laid on the ground and not put away yet.  Cut his hand.  Now...he didn't need medical treatment, but that's the kind of stuff that can happen so easy. You have one guy break a bone or worse and you don't have a way to help him.  

On top of that, from a homeowners perspective.  I don't want anyone working on my property that isn't insured.  It falls on your homeowners policy and that's bad news.

You're absolutley right! 

Edited by Philip McCullough
TMI

Some of the larger corporations will require you to have WC regardless if you have or do not have any employees... A very large home builder here in South Florida required us to have WC to even step foot on his job sites... Regardless of what the WC regulations are... Some simply tell you... Without WC... Good luck working for us ( Pressure washing / roof cleaning / trim wood working / whatever the case may be ) It can be a touchy situation... !!!

Phillip sorry I just seen this yes I found it they base it off your yearly amount and off the amount of full and seasonal employees you have. If you still need his email let me know.