PeakOfPerfection

Another Roof Cleaned in Bellingham, WA Sudden Valley

Another roof cleaned in Bellingham WA in the Sudden Valley area for new owners. 

This roof, unfortunately, shows signs of being previously improperly pressure washed. It had very heavy Gloeocapsa Magma Cyanobacteria colonies and moderate moss with medium lichen. We safely cleaned it with our soft wash system to help extend the remaining life.  

IMG_0142_zpsfn2sfthq.jpg

Prior to cleaning. Heavy colonies of G.M. (Gloeocapsa Magma) a Cyanobacteria which thrives on the roofs in our area and causes much of the black streaks seen. 

Unfortunately, the black streaks on this roof were not just from G.M...

IMG_0151_zpsn0nogewc.jpg

After cleaning. The remaining darks streaks are unfortunately not G.M. They are stripes of granular loss where the roof was previously improperly pressure washed. 

IMG_0146_zps9oeio6ko.jpg

Closeup of granular loss on a 20 year old roof. This was unfortunately present in wide streaks on the roof and shows the damage that pressure washing can do. Granular loss like this will 

lead to premature shingle failure as the shingle loses its ability to be protected from drying out. This can already be seen in the cracked shingle edge. Ineffective Zinc Strips can be seen close up.

Note lack of valley flashing and the wear pattern and debris which easily collects in the valleys. We do recommend valley flashing be installed when re-roofing in our area where there are a lot of trees. 

IMG_0144_zpsoktadupi.jpg

At the top right, you can see where we have started our cleaning process. You can also see just how infective the Zinc Strips that were installed were as moss was

growing on all portions of the roof from top to bottom. 

IMG_0152_zpsr0gzhjdw.jpg

The portion of the roof on the right has received its final rinse down and is finished. The section on the left is awaiting final wash down and touch up. Note, again the lack

of valley flashing and the granular loss pattern on the far right. 

Although this roof was previously damaged by both neglect and improper cleaning, our soft wash process will help the new owners to get the maximum remaining life out of it prior to needing replacement. 

Contact Peak of Perfection Roof Cleaning at 360-831-9494 or see our website at WWW.DEADMOSS.COM

It has been a long time since I lived down in North Seattle, but my ex wife was from Marysville  Washington, and she had a few friends up in Bellingham. I am unfamiliar with the Sudden Valley, perhaps it was not even there back in 1989, which was the last time I was out in Washington State.

Bellingham was probably 1/4 the size back then as it is today. I liked it, and noted it had much more of a "small town" feel, then the part of Seattle I lived in. 

That roof cleaning you did came out very nice, but you can sure see all of the granule loss caused by the Pressure Washing of the roofing shingles. 

Looks more like lichen damage to me.  On the corner peaks in those areas like that usually i find the lichen really taking its toll on the roof.   Who installed that roof? That last photo looks like a child put that valley together.  Do most of the houses you clean look like that?  I never see you clean higher property value homes.

Looks more like lichen damage to me.  On the corner peaks in those areas like that usually i find the lichen really taking its toll on the roof.   Who installed that roof? That last photo looks like a child put that valley together.  Do most of the houses you clean look like that?  I never see you clean higher property value homes.

We do higher value homes too.

7500 sq ft $2.5M house on the beach...

$2.0M 6000 sq ft house overlooking Chuckanut Dr. 

1.75M 6000 sq ft house overlooking Bellingham. 

We are on a $1.25M house cedar roof project today and have another one scheduled down the road. 

Thing with the big projects is that they are big. This was a fairly easy single story roof.  I like to save a few of those for myself on the weekends and let the crew take the big ones during the week...it keeps me in practice.

I am 50 years old and and have too many artificial parts in my spine to be doing big steep roofs anymore. Plus I run several other companies as well so I need to be in the office and out in the field supervising.

Besides, my signature is on the paychecks so I get to take the easy ones! My 12 year old daughter comes with me as a helper.

We do higher value homes too.

7500 sq ft $2.5M house on the beach...

$2.0M 6000 sq ft house overlooking Chuckanut Dr. 

1.75M 6000 sq ft house overlooking Bellingham. 

We are on a $1.25M house cedar roof project today and have another one scheduled down the road. 

Thing with the big projects is that they are big. This was a fairly easy single story roof.  I like to save a few of those for myself on the weekends and let the crew take the big ones during the week...it keeps me in practice.

I am 50 years old and and have too many artificial parts in my spine to be doing big steep roofs anymore. Plus I run several other companies as well so I need to be in the office and out in the field supervising.

Besides, my signature is on the paychecks so I get to take the easy ones! My 12 year old daughter comes with me as a helper.

My roof cleaning days have long since been over, but towards the end, I would also "pick and choose" my jobs. One of my ex girlfriends was a sort of a "Tomboy", a pretty one though. She loved to work the ground for me, and I  loved her "helping" me clean 3 smaller shingle roofs, and make over 1000.00 in a few hours :) 

LOL, I once taught a lawn guy how to clean roofs. His G/F did him dirty, and broke up with him when money got tight. He took it really hard. I told him to place an ad for a female helper groundsperson. He got many responses, and picked a really pretty girl, who was also single.

I suggested that he set up a couple of roofs to clean, with her working the ground.

He set up 2 roofs, one for 650.00, and one for 500.00, and the two of them did them both in one day.

He asked her to "hold onto the checks"!  Suddenly, she exclaimed " OMG, you just made 1150.00, for a few hours of work".

Needless to say, they started Dating immediately :) 

Sometimes, it is hard to wrap our heads around the fact that a good roof cleaner can out earn many College Graduates.