woody70

30 Gal Harbor Freight Compressor

Chris, or anyone else who wants to chime in, have you had any dealings with the harbor freight 30 gal compressor?

http://www.harborfreight.com/30-gal-420cc-truck-bed-air-compressor-epa-iii-69784.html

post-2671-0-99215200-1425230792_thumb.jp

Looking at going with a 1" setup and leaning towards this for a money saving measure to get through the first season.  I was reading about previous users purchasing the smaller one with the warranty.  But it appears that within the last year or two they have changed the "protection plan/extended warranty" for anything over $300.  According to their website you can't walk in and exchange the compressor.  You have to give them up to 30 days to attempt to repair it.  Then if they can't, they'll give you another one or equivalent.  Has anyone had any recent dealings with them in trying to exchange a broken product over $300?  The 30 gal compressor is $1100.  I was hoping if something went wrong with it I could walk in and get another one.  They also have an on-site repair warranty, but haven't been able to find out to much about it.

I hear you.  We have a local store here and I haven't bought anything from there in years.  When I did, of course it would be a cheap tool that I only needed to use once and that was about all you would typically get out of it.  But then I've heard Chris and a few others recently have had great success with them.  I'm thinking of going ahead and giving it a shot, but the warranty has me worried.  Although all it need it to last is one season, till I can purchase something better.  You know how it goes, it'll be my luck something catastrophic happens to it five weeks after purchase and the store will say they can't swap it out (or something to the like).  Ah, who am I kidding I'll probably just get the thing.  Coulda swore someone on her had purchased one recently, gotta do some more forum searching.

We have this and the smaller compressors from HF and they work awesome! I had bad experiences in the past with HF but we in a bind about as year ago and bought the smaller one. Employees are hard on equipment and it has held up well.  I bought this big one a few months back and it works great as well. I would recommend using heavier duty wire for the electric start but thats really my only issue.  Hope this helps. 

Thanks, Ryan.  I just needed a little nudge to purchase.  I'm pretty good about maintaining equipment and such.  I'll make sure it is well taken care of and cross my fingers.

Like my good friend Ryan Wilkins of Beacon Roof Cleaning, we own BOTH the gas powered HF Air Compressors, and the large one is a beast. We have had both for well over 6 months now, with ZERO Problems out of either one.

My friend Louis Ferman of Tim's Pressure Washing in Tampa here also owns the big one, and has had it over one year, with no problems at all.

I am working on setting up another truck with new equipment and I was looking at the big compressor from Harbor freight as well, looks like a nice compressor. I did find this one on craigslist (new) for $400.00 cheaper may go with this one.post-274-0-33731800-1425755210_thumb.png

I am working on setting up another truck with new equipment and I was looking at the big compressor from Harbor freight as well, looks like a nice compressor. I did find this one on craigslist (new) for $400.00 cheaper may go with this one.attachicon.gifaircompressor.png

If one has a choice, buy the air compressor with the bigger tank. The HF 30 gallon air comprssor has a 30 gal tank. Plus, it also has more horsepower, and you can get a warranty on  it.

Yeah, I saw that.  Definitely will bring the box truck its going to be mounted in to the store.  As long as they can get it in there with their forklift, I can faniggle it to it's final resting place.  Just hope I have as good of luck as you and others have had with HF compressors.  

Yeah, I saw that.  Definitely will bring the box truck its going to be mounted in to the store.  As long as they can get it in there with their forklift, I can faniggle it to it's final resting place.  Just hope I have as good of luck as you and others have had with HF compressors.  

Be surer and use really THICK wire for the electric start, and u will be a happy camper. It is a beast of an air compressor, for chep

I was in Harbor Freight yesterday and wow! That compressor pump is huge! Unfortunately I can not get that compressor to fit in a regular truck bed with a 100 gal chem tank and 50 gal mix tank, hose reel pump etc…  We currently use the double or triple cylinder wheel barrow type that ends up on the tail gate.

I noticed that on the Tahoe Power compressor, the air fitting is (I believe) a milton fitting. The hole in the end is twice as big as a normal air fitting. I am also using a 3/8 on and off valve at the Yamada pump and 3/8 air hose. My question is why would I restrict the air flow with a 1/4 water/oil separator? Should I get a 3/8 water/oil seperator? I just water maximize the cfm out put to the pump.

Finally picked up the Harbor Freight 30 gal air compressor a couple of days ago.  That thing is massive.  I've got a 15 ft box truck and I'm already starting to feel cramped.  Going to fire it up tomorrow and let it break in a little.  

post-2671-0-93079100-1430090832_thumb.jp

Ran compressor yesterday for a little break-in.  Oh, how I love electric start.  It was actually quieter than what I thought it would be.  It's still loud, but it doesn't make you run for cover or anything.  

I looked at one and figured worst case if the predator motor did go out in a year its not that bad to pick up a honda motor to replace it espicaly if i could find one on ebay for a low price

I was thinking along the same lines.  So far, everyone is saying good things about them.  I take good care of equipment so hopefully it will hold up for the long haul.  

Just received the Harbor Freight circular today and lo and behold the 14 HP, 30 gal air compressor is on sale for $999, usually $1099.  Apparently this big one doesn't go on sale very often.

Does anyone have a tahoe compressor? I'm contemplating between the HF 30 Gal. and this one:

http://tahoepower.org/air-compressor.html

I found one that is new and can get it for $800. Thoughts? I'm planning on getting a 1" pump as well.

​That Tahoe Air Compressor is RATED at 21 CFM of air at 80 PSI, and that's a lot of air, IF they are telling the truth.