GreengalyenPW

Newb question: confused about tanks

Hello yall!

I have been researching and learning. I have a questions that I am confused about.

My fist thought was this: I would need two tanks. one for chem mix(SH, water and roof snot) and one for water. However, since I have been researching, reading, and watching some youtube of some setups. I see a lot of folks are using two tanks: one for chems(roof snot) and one for mix(SH and Water), and then using a water hose to attach to the pump for rinsing.

So questions:

1:) If using the one tank for chems and the 2nd tank for mix, how is the ratio mixed right?

2:) can you do it well or properly with two tanks, one for water only, and one for chems?

3:) is it tbest to have three tanks, one for chems, one for water, and one for mix?

4:) or am I just totally wrong on all this? I am brand new to roof washing, but not brand new to soft washing.

Thanks for your help!

Stephen Galyen

www.GreenGalyen.com

Hello yall!

I have been researching and learning. I have a questions that I am confused about.

My fist thought was this: I would need two tanks. one for chem mix(SH, water and roof snot) and one for water. However, since I have been researching, reading, and watching some youtube of some setups. I see a lot of folks are using two tanks: one for chems(roof snot) and one for mix(SH and Water), and then using a water hose to attach to the pump for rinsing.

So questions:

1:) If using the one tank for chems and the 2nd tank for mix, how is the ratio mixed right?

2:) can you do it well or properly with two tanks, one for water only, and one for chems?

3:) is it tbest to have three tanks, one for chems, one for water, and one for mix?

4:) or am I just totally wrong on all this? I am brand new to roof washing, but not brand new to soft washing.

Thanks for your help!

Stephen Galyen

www.GreenGalyen.com

There are all sorts of tank schemes for roof cleaning and softwashing. Do you want to mainly clean roofs, or softwash houses as well ?

Don't overthink the simple things. 1 chem tank, 1 mix tank, 1 water tank if you pressure wash. Every house I have cleaned has had a water faucet outside, use it. A 25 gal or a 525 gal tank doesn't matter to any of us, that's up to you on how big your tanks are and if you have the space for them. Mix whatever ratio you need using your pump then spray all of it where you want to clean. Make more if needed. Bam, done, simple. :thumbsu:

I'm not tyring to over think the simple. Wouldn't be simple to simply mix all your chems in one tank at the beginning of the day and then have your water tank to rinse?

I have an 8 gpm 3k psi machine, 125gal water tank. I currenlty soft wash houses and wood restoration. So I'm not just cleaning roofs, I know I can't use the 8 gpm on the roof.

It just seemed overkill to have three tanks instead of two. as far as volume I will probably be doing 2-3 roofs a week. So If I had a 100 gallon tank, couldn't I just throw the SH, water and snot in that tank, spray, rinse?

Not tyring to be difficult, cause I know so little, just trying to understand the scenairo. :huh:

We clean both Tile and Shingle Roofs, and we run dual 300 gallon tanks, that have pre mixed shingle and tile roof mix in them.

We rinse with a 3/4 inch Mean Green Water Hose from Factory Direct Hose Company.

We do not own a pressure washer, and 90 percent of our business is cleaning roofs ONLY.

If you have room...and the GVWR load capacity for three tanks...go for it. If you think you will have enough projects to run thru more than a decent mix tank in a day, then having concentrate on board makes sense. 

If you do and you need to rinse, you don't want to run the garden hose into the pump, you want to run it thru the line after the pump. 

Better yet...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg%3B-stainless-steel-transfer-utility-pump-1-hp

Booster Pump. Hook water in, hook to exterior outlet, hook in Mean Green Hose (do not question...just buy the Mean Green 5/8" or 3/4" hose) and put on a Master Industries Nozzle and you will be in rinse heaven for a very large percentage of the roofs you do. Plus that pump fills the tank a lot faster with water.  spacer.gif

I do a lot of washing houses and wood restoration along with roofs. I have one 125 gal water tank, and two 55 gal chem tanks. One 55 is for mix, the other for SH. If I find that I need more, then I have an extra 65 gal and 35 gal tank that I can load on the truck. Most roofs, I can clean with one full 55 gal tank of SH to make my mix with. If I'm not sure, I'll put 55 in one tank, and 15 in the other 55 to make a mix with. If I had room, I'd have two 100 gal. tanks. No question at all. 

There are many tank setup "schemes" for Softwashing of roofs and exteriors, and each one has advantages and disadvantages. The final decision on what Softwash System you decide to go with, will depend on many things, liike Kevin and the others have said. How much ROOM  and GVWR all factor into it.

I always suggest you buy your tanks for Soft Washing locally, if at all possible, because freight will eat you alive.