I did a search and found that Mobil 1 can be used in the compressor but cannot find out which one. HF recommends 30# non-detergent oil, which seems impossible to find. I can use their oil they sell for compressors but it seems there should be a better option. I called them and after 20 minutes on hold the guy said to use 5w-30 synthetic if it is cold or 10w-30 if not but he did not sound real sure. After I hung up I was unsure if he was talking about the compressor or the gas engine. Anyone?

I did see a counter argument on a compressor forum saying they were finding Mobil 1 to be hydrophilic. This may be in larger screw compressors but it bears watching in the site glass. If it turns white then it is full of water. We run our compressors for extended times so they do get a chance to get nice and hot which helps with oil moisture.

This might be a regional availability thing. In my area I checked at a couple Walmarts and also Oreillys and none of them carried non-detergent 30 weight oil. I went ahead and bought mobile one 5W-30 but I did see non-detergent 30 weight oil in tractor supply yesterday.

This might be a regional availability thing. In my area I checked at a couple Walmarts and also Oreillys and none of them carried non-detergent 30 weight oil. I went ahead and bought mobile one 5W-30 but I did see non-detergent 30 weight oil in tractor supply yesterday.

Studies in car engines have shown that many lubrication failures take place when the engine is cold. Back in my day, clearances on motors are not nearly as tight as they are now, so that thick 40 weight oil was OK to use. But the engines of today have much tighter clearances, so you don't want that thick stuff, unless you have many many miles on an engine.

You will be just fine with any Mobil 1 IMHO. 

Check out Royal Purple. In the past line of work, we ran royal purple in all our compressors. We ran 4 big compressors 24/7, and really never had any problems with the royal purple. We changed the oil every three months.

I know people that swear by Royal Purple.  In my opinion, as long as you use a quality synthetic oil and take care of your equipment, it should last a long time.

I know people that swear by Royal Purple.  In my opinion, as long as you use a quality synthetic oil and take care of your equipment, it should last a long time.

I agree, as long as it is a quality synthetic oil. I do n ot use synthetic oil in my personal vehicles, but synthetic  has the advantage that you can use it in BOTH the air compressor AND the Gas Engine of your Air Compressors. I just mentioned Mobil 1 full synthetic oil because that is what we have always used, from my Hot Rod days. 

In General, the motor oils of today are much better then they ever were. 

Hey, anyone here remember ARCO Graphite Motor Oil ?