Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777

Improving The Fat Boy Roof Cleaning Pump !

Yes two would be better than one because you double your compression area (air space in the top chamber) but they would both have to be installed on the same line.  Having a larger one is better.  Theoretically you could string 10 small ones together and have the same amount of compression space as one large one BUT then you would have 20 more fittings and hose clamps and possible leaks.  It would cost a fortune. The other side of the coin is to just size your nozzle large enough so that the pump runs constant.

Yes two would be better than one because you double your compression area (air space in the top chamber) but they would both have to be installed on the same line.  Having a larger one is better.  Theoretically you could string 10 small ones together and have the same amount of compression space as one large one BUT then you would have 20 more fittings and hose clamps and possible leaks.  It would cost a fortune. The other side of the coin is to just size your nozzle large enough so that the pump runs constant.

Or, do this http://roofcleaninginstitute.org/topic/500-how-to-run-a-12-volt-roof-cleaning-pump-wo-a-battery/

Hi all! I'm getting my winter maintenance/upgrade list prepared and I'd really like to try out the "hot water accumulator upgrade", but all the tanks I've seen say that they have a polypropylene bladder (which is what the SH would be contacting directly) with a butyl diaphragm. Do you think the polypropylene would hold up on? (I ALWAYS rinse with 20-30 gallons of water after EVERY job)

Thank you!

Hey Atlas, The polypropylene should be fine. A lot of the fittings used in this line of work utilize poly.

Fiberglass reinforced poly is widely used.

Mike

Hi all! I'm getting my winter maintenance/upgrade list prepared and I'd really like to try out the "hot water accumulator upgrade", but all the tanks I've seen say that they have a polypropylene bladder (which is what the SH would be contacting directly) with a butyl diaphragm. Do you think the polypropylene would hold up on? (I ALWAYS rinse with 20-30 gallons of water after EVERY job)

Thank you!

The diaphragm is the problem. Butyl is incompatible with SH. This is why the small accumulators fail. 

Al9226 told me that his residential water heater expansion tank idea worked great. He said he just replaced it after three years (as scheduled maintenance) and had never had a problem or any leaks

I wentvwith a smaller one that I found on Amazon. I would have gotten a larger one, but they all had those clip connections and I couldn't use those because I'm going with a 1" line from the pump to the accumulator and I had to have threads. I'll post a picture later and a performance update once my season gets rolling.

If you use one less than 2 gallons, let me know how it works.  It's my thinking that a larger tank makes the pump stay on longer than a smaller one.  I used the 2 gallon by hunch and it worked perfectly so I stuck with it.  You may have to play with the pressure in the tank a little.  

IMG_3253.JPG

Hey Al, you're correct with the larger tank making the pump run longer and that's what allows a longer "draw down" time before cycling the pump back on.

Mike

Be careful of low grade poly fittings.  Fiberglass is mixed into the poly to add strength.  It also gives it s shine.  The fiberglass breaks down over time when exposed to SH.  

Go for SCH 80 PVC fittings....

I just received this today. The little accumulator hasn't worked too well (but I also think my pressure switch is fried, so that may be affecting things a bit) 

Thanks for the help and advice all (especially you, Al)

BTW: (in case anyone cares) I'll be ordering what I hope is my last 12v pump tomorrow. The one I'm replacing did great for 2.5 seasons, but I'm doing much more roof cleaning than I ever thought I would, so I'm going AODD ASAP (starting to accumulate components this year)

IMG_0039.JPG

Just wondering how that tank worked out back in Nov 2013 when you made the project?

How long did it last? Any problems? Did you feel it was a real benefit?

I'm just feeling like CRAP today and sittin' here reading old posts.

Thanks!

Chuck

Well here is my latest experiment.  It is a hot water tank expansion tank.  Basically an accumulator tank like waxman mentioned in his post.  It holds 2 gallons instead of 1 ltr.  I pressureized it to 50 lbs and installed it just like the accumulator.  I ran about 100 gallons of water through it  with different tips from 40's to 4's with great recycle times.  The only downfall that I can see is that it is metal instead of plastic.  I figure that a good rinse after every use should get me a year.  If so I would be happy.  $39.00 at Lowes.

7388889.jpg