3LM Roof Cleaning

clay barrel tile

Is it common for a clay tile bleed after cleaning?

I've had it rain on me a couple times where I got to see just how much comes off.

I'd like to give a little bit more of an educated answer to this.

First, welcome to the RCIA Forum!

Yes, it is almost guaranteed to bleed, and the more it bleeds, the better it will look, when it is done bleeding. 2 things discolor a clay tile roof, the black algae, and the old, oxidized clay, that makes the roof look overly dull. You can't "screw around" with a clay tile roof, by using weak solutions on them, or you will end up with a roof free of the black stuff, that will still look bad, because you failed to remove the old, oxidized clay!

Since we do not use any pressure to remove the old oxidized layer of clay, we must be sure to apply the chemical strong enough to do the job! 

Clay Tile Roofs are one of the very few times we go up to a 50/50 roof cleaning mix, and with plenty of soap! 

Be sure and inform your customer that the roof will bleed for a few rains! 

First, welcome to the RCIA Forum!

Yes, it is almost guaranteed to bleed, and the more it bleeds, the better it will look, when it is done bleeding. 2 things discolor a clay tile roof, the black algae, and the old, oxidized clay, that makes the roof look overly dull. You can't "screw around" with a clay tile roof, by using weak solutions on them, or you will end up with a roof free of the black stuff, that will still look bad, because you failed to remove the old, oxidized clay!

Since we do not use any pressure to remove the old oxidized layer of clay, we must be sure to apply the chemical strong enough to do the job! 

Clay Tile Roofs are one of the very few times we go up to a 50/50 roof cleaning mix, and with plenty of soap! 

Be sure and inform your customer that the roof will bleed for a few rains!

Thanks for the reply, good info.

Thanks for the reply, good info.

I once did a red clay tile roof cleaning for a Man here in Tampa who was from Lebanon. He was vice president of a local Oil Company, and had a 12,000 sq ft home in Avila, north of Tampa.

We cleaned his roof, but he wanted to get the shiny tile effect of a roof  we cleaned across the street.

The home across the street from him had the glazed, ceramic roof tiles, he had Clay.

We referred him to a company that applied a sealer to his Clay Tile Roof, and shined it up quite a bit.

You might want to investigate sealers for clay tiles like they use on Tennis Courts made from Clay ?

There is big money in that sort of stuff :)

Hey guys, after cleaning a shingle roof, a neighbor approached me asking me to clean his clay tile roof, only that I'm rather new to the business and never cleaned a tile roof before.. I've been reading and found using 50/50 solution. I use gain as a surfectant and 10.5% sh . Here are a few pics of home.. can anyone please guide me.

IMAG0276.jpg

I once did a red clay tile roof cleaning for a Man here in Tampa who was from Lebanon. He was vice president of a local Oil Company, and had a 12,000 sq ft home in Avila, north of Tampa.

We cleaned his roof, but he wanted to get the shiny tile effect of a roof  we cleaned across the street.

The home across the street from him had the glazed, ceramic roof tiles, he had Clay.

We referred him to a company that applied a sealer to his Clay Tile Roof, and shined it up quite a bit.

You might want to investigate sealers for clay tiles like they use on Tennis Courts made from Clay ?

There is big money in that sort of stuff :)

Just so anyone in the Greater Orlando area knows  We clean, seal, stain or paint tile roofs.  Painting houses and commercial buildings is our core business and roof cleaning is a long term specialty of ours.  We have seen a lot of them. So if any of you guys that clean don't paint feel free to give them my name. We also paint metal roofs too. The right way.

Hey guys, after cleaning a shingle roof, a neighbor approached me asking me to clean his clay tile roof, only that I'm rather new to the business and never cleaned a tile roof before.. I've been reading and found using 50/50 solution. I use gain as a surfectant and 10.5% sh . Here are a few pics of home.. can anyone please guide me.

IMAG0276.jpg

There are NO GUTTERS on the tile roof, so you must be really careful, and work slowly, then water like hell to keep from killing the landscape. 

i was getting on here today for this same thing i have a I assume clay tile roof there barrel shaped over lap and red. I dont care what it is ill jump in and clean it but i try and research as much as possible before i jump in. This bleeding thing is new to me and before i read this i was going to use my shingle mix 70/30 to clean the roof. Its a big roof ive bid it and won it we are doing the roof house and drive way for $1500.00 and hes providing a lift and operator for the lift. I feel i bid it right but other than that this is new to me i need some advice and what not to do and so forth. There is no moss just heavy black streaks we did the shingle roof across the street and he liked our work. The funny part was i bid the job and he said i was ridicouls high and i pointed to the one we did and said my work speaks for itself. So a week goes by he called and asked if i had thought any more about his job i played dumb and said no not really we are busy ith others he said would i do it for 1200 and i turned that down so couple days he calls back and said you think any more about doing my job for 1200 and i said no been busy doing other jobs and like i said before i wouldnt do it for 1499 i bid the job for a fair price for quality work so he said ok ill let you do it for 1500.00 yea me. but any way i want to succedd on this one so any help please and chris ill take you up on that phone call for this one ill call you tomorrow if your around

i was getting on here today for this same thing i have a I assume clay tile roof there barrel shaped over lap and red. I dont care what it is ill jump in and clean it but i try and research as much as possible before i jump in. This bleeding thing is new to me and before i read this i was going to use my shingle mix 70/30 to clean the roof. Its a big roof ive bid it and won it we are doing the roof house and drive way for $1500.00 and hes providing a lift and operator for the lift. I feel i bid it right but other than that this is new to me i need some advice and what not to do and so forth. There is no moss just heavy black streaks we did the shingle roof across the street and he liked our work. The funny part was i bid the job and he said i was ridicouls high and i pointed to the one we did and said my work speaks for itself. So a week goes by he called and asked if i had thought any more about his job i played dumb and said no not really we are busy ith others he said would i do it for 1200 and i turned that down so couple days he calls back and said you think any more about doing my job for 1200 and i said no been busy doing other jobs and like i said before i wouldnt do it for 1499 i bid the job for a fair price for quality work so he said ok ill let you do it for 1500.00 yea me. but any way i want to succedd on this one so any help please and chris ill take you up on that phone call for this one ill call you tomorrow if your around

Doug, call me at 813 546 7668 and I will usually answer. Bear in mind that I am single, and recently met a girl who I may be hangin out with, if ya know what I mean today after 4 pm.

thanks for the phone call chris big help im doing the job next week 

My pleasure Doug, it was good to talk with you! Be sure to get you some pictures of your first tile roof cleaning job

I've cleaned Vermont tile and glazed tile but not clay barrel tile. However I am going to call on a shopping center that needs its clay barrel tile roof cleaning. Wish me well.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Clay will bleed a little Dave, so please be aware of that. But normally after 2 to 3 rains at the most, all will be well

Chris, I'm still not clear on what you mean by bleeding. Please clarify.

When you rinse the roof or after the cleaning you get some rain your gonna get a bit of the color from the tile bleeding off until it stops which could take a couple of good rains

Why does this happen? Is it some minimal damage that we cause to the tile

When you rinse the roof or after the cleaning you get some rain your gonna get a bit of the color from the tile bleeding off until it stops which could take a couple of good rains

Clay Tiles oxidize, and then the algae holds  the oxidation on the tiles. We come along as roof cleaners, and remove the algae, and then the trapped oxidation "bleeds" from the tiles.