I have been in sales for many years and one thing that I have always advocated was building a solid network of strategic partners. There are many service providers who are already calling on customers who could benefit from roof cleaning and developing a relationship with them can be key during slow times when your phone is not ringing. You can easily double or triple your sales effort by having a strong partnership. So, I thought it might be beneficial to start a thread and discuss who you have developed strategic relationships with that has heped your business.

(Please note, while I do have an advanced degree in professional selling and 15 years of sales experience, I am just getting started in roof cleaning. I am including the examples below as ideas, but have not yet tried to market to them. If any of the more experienced guys on the board have tried developing relationships with any of these partners, I would love to hear some pointers)

Realtors- When someone is selling a house it is all about Curb Appeal. You can instantly increase the perceived value of the property and possibly help it sale faster, by ridding the roof of ugly roof stains. The realtors can reccommend roof cleaning, but they can not accept any kick backs or commission. Instead offer to pass a discount along to their clients and set up a special discount code for their agency.

Home Inspectors- Most people hire a home inspector when buying a house. Many home inspectors check the roof for defects and algae. If they run into an issue where algae is present you can have them discuss roof cleaning as an option.

Insurance Agents- when writing new policies, many insurance companies require an initial inspection. If mold or algae is present, they will sometimes require it to be cleaned before the policy is written.

Roofing Contractors- the first person someone usually calls when roof stains appear, is the roofing company they used to install the roof. Many roofing companies don't offer roof cleaning, but they receive calls requesting the service. You could work out a deal and give them 10% of the invoice for any business they send your way. In return, you can send them roofs you look at that need to be replaced or repaired and collect 10% of that bill.

Painting Contractors- typically when someone is painting their house, they are trying to improve the way it looks. On most homes, the roof makes up 30% of the visible exterrior of the house. If the homeowner is painting the house to make it look better, it only makes since to clean the roof at the same time. Its kind of like a woman putting make up on but neglecting to brush her hair.

Gutter Companies- if a person is adding gutters on their house, it means that they care about improving their property. The gutter guys are already going to be on a ladder, and will have a great view to check for algae. It wouldn't take but a minute to mention roof cleaning to the homeowner and drop off your card.

Lawn Maintenance Companies- these guys are in charge of taking care of the property and usually see it on a weekly basis. They also usually have a ton of customers who obviously are not do-it-yourselfers. Could be a great way to get into some new customers.

Powerwash Companies- if they don't already offer roof cleaning, you may be able to partner with them. In exchange you can givethem a finders fee or send them the powerwashing jobs you run across.

Local Hardware Store- if you have a local hardware store, probably wouldn't work with the big chains, you may want to talk to the person that works in the roofing department. Im sure that customers ask about the stain removal products they carry, and if any of them ask for an installer, you can be the man.

Anyways, these are just some ideas to get the thread started. Hopefully, we can get some good ideas that all of us can use to increase sales.

Great point Chris. Along those same lines in Angies List. I know they contact us regularly at the roofing company I currently work for trying to sell us some sort of partnership. On the roofing contractor forums, it is a big debate whether it is worthwhile. Does anyone use Angies List for roof cleaning leads? If you have, did you get a decent R.O.I.?

Great point Chris. Along those same lines in Angies List. I know they contact us regularly at the roofing company I currently work for trying to sell us some sort of partnership. On the roofing contractor forums, it is a big debate whether it is worthwhile. Does anyone use Angies List for roof cleaning leads? If you have, did you get a decent R.O.I.?

We are listed on Angie's List and receive many leads. It's well worth it, at least for my business.

We get a lot of work from the BBB, and from the Chamber Of Commerce.

I've disowned the Chamber of Commerce...Pro immigration traitors. Employment (Jobs) are not immune from the laws of supply and demand. Whenever supply outpaces demand...price declines. Millions of new unskilled laborors will inevitably impact our industry harder than most simply because of the small learning curve and low entry costs.

Dump the Chamber

I've disowned the Chamber of Commerce...Pro immigration traitors. Employment (Jobs) are not immune from the laws of supply and demand. Whenever supply outpaces demand...price declines. Millions of new unskilled laborors will inevitably impact our industry harder than most simply because of the small learning curve and low entry costs.

Dump the Chamber

Haha. I am a roofing contractor and live in Northern Mexico (Houston, TX) so I know all about the effects of illegal labor flooding an industry. However, I don't know if the local Chamber of Commerce is entirely to blame for the nations horrid immigration policy. I don't like the situation anymore than you do, but I wouldn't say "Adios" to the chamber just because the federal government is incompetent.