Unfortunately, after years in business, we've had to resort to a mechanics lien on a dead-beat client.  Multiple invoices were sent, then late notices then an intent to lien, and still no payments were made.   So today, the trigger was pulled.  I couldn't believe how fast and easy it was to do. 

it might take twenty years, but we'll get paid eventually  :-)

Ted keep a record of everything. And dont waste more money and time collecting then the deadbeat owes you. If you get one deadbeat every five years its not to bad and you can write it off

Unfortunately those people are out there more than we should have to put up with. That's good advice and good luck getting your money

We used to have a lawyer do it for us, but we get so few people who refuse to pay. Much of our roof cleaning is done on 1/2 a million dollar homes, and up. These folks don't wan't the embarassment of being known for not paying their bills.

In my experience usually just a threat to place a lien will get their attention and a check, so good luck with that deadbeat. You might try getting deposits. I have for years and it works. Most people are used to paying deposits so you usually don't have a problem - and if they don't want to pay you a deposit that will be a warning that they won't pay you anyway. If you have someone stiff you when you're done at least you've only lost 50% and not 100%. 

In my experience usually just a threat to place a lien will get their attention and a check, so good luck with that deadbeat. You might try getting deposits. I have for years and it works. Most people are used to paying deposits so you usually don't have a problem - and if they don't want to pay you a deposit that will be a warning that they won't pay you anyway. If you have someone stiff you when you're done at least you've only lost 50% and not 100%. 

I had one that just plain refused to pay us, so I told him if he didn't pay up, I would tell all his neighbors! Guess what, he finally paid us!

Fortunately we have not had that pleasure yet. Unless it's a huge job it's probably not worth the time and effort to file a lien. Although you may still want to do it just for the satisfaction in being vindictive. I would first try to put the HO on a payment plan over several months.

Fortunately we have not had that pleasure yet. Unless it's a huge job it's probably not worth the time and effort to file a lien. Although you may still want to do it just for the satisfaction in being vindictive. I would first try to put the HO on a payment plan over several months.

The process was a piece of cake - form letters, then an intent to lien (not required in the deadbeat's county, but we did it anyway).  Had to get the docs notarized which was done while doing some banking.  Mailed them to the county clerk and the other to the deadbeat.  For $585, I'll mail a few forms.

We do 5-10 roofs a day and have been in business for years now.  I'm surprised that this is the first time that we've had to resort to this.  Not bad all in all I guess.

The process was a piece of cake - form letters, then an intent to lien (not required in the deadbeat's county, but we did it anyway).  Had to get the docs notarized which was done while doing some banking.  Mailed them to the county clerk and the other to the deadbeat.  For $585, I'll mail a few forms.

We do 5-10 roofs a day and have been in business for years now.  I'm surprised that this is the first time that we've had to resort to this.  Not bad all in all I guess.

I am quite surprised too Ted, because I have known you for years, and know you to do great roof cleaning work, at fair prices.

You are far from a rip off, and deserve to be paid for the work you do.