post-2176-0-26848900-1403896581_thumb.jp

Hello folks, it's been a while since I was last on due to being extremely busy with my paving cleaning business since Feb this year.

I'm finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel with build my first ever soft wash roof cleaning system (see attached photo, minus the marine battery and hose/sprayer)

I've been running a couple of tests using only tap water but getting leaks from the banjo ball valves where the banjo barbs screw into them.  I've tightened them up as much as I dare without damaging them but still getting small leaks.  Would I be best to use PTFE tape on the threads or would lock tight work on poly propylene?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan 

Thanks for your response and here's me thinking the Banjo polypropylene products were good?  The leaks I'm currently getting are coming from the thread part of the barbs and not the other end where the barb and the hose meet.

What clear hose would you recommend instead of the one I have?

This is all a learning curve for me as info it the UK is hard to come by and I wanted to get a basic system up and running, tested then roll it out to paying customers, once I know it works and there is a market for it which I don't doubt there will be I can invest in a better setup with air pump compressor etc.

Thanks again

Jonathan

Teflon tape works for a while but will dissolve after time. The type of pipe dope they use for gas lines works better and lasts longer.

attachicon.gifIMG_5014.JPG

Hello folks, it's been a while since I was last on due to being extremely busy with my paving cleaning business since Feb this year.

I'm finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel with build my first ever soft wash roof cleaning system (see attached photo, minus the marine battery and hose/sprayer)

I've been running a couple of tests using only tap water but getting leaks from the banjo ball valves where the banjo barbs screw into them.  I've tightened them up as much as I dare without damaging them but still getting small leaks.  Would I be best to use PTFE tape on the threads or would lock tight work on poly propylene?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan 

Jonathan,

You asked a great question!  Do not use either PTFE tape or Lock Tite (Thread Lock).  The tape will occupy too much space and cause a crack in the female threaded fitting if tightened too much.  When plumbing PVC to PVC and PVC to Metal, use non-drying liquid teflon.  You can find it in any hardware store near the teflon tape.

I will also recommend that you look for SCH 80 or SCH 40 PVC hose barbs instead of the Banjo hose barbs.  Those beautiful Banjo hose barbs are composed of polypropylene and fiberglass (and expensive).   The SH will corrode and eat up the fiberglass in the hose barbs eventually causing leaks, cracks and premature failure.  Of course, the more often you rinse, the longer the barbs may last.

Did you purchase the mounts with your 3-Way Banjo Ball Valves?

If you have any questions, give me a call.

Jonathan,

You asked a great question!  Do not use either PTFE tape or Lock Tite (Thread Lock).  The tape will occupy too much space and cause a crack in the female threaded fitting if tightened too much.  When plumbing PVC to PVC and PVC to Metal, use non-drying liquid teflon.  You can find it in any hardware store near the teflon tape.

I will also recommend that you look for SCH 80 or SCH 40 PVC hose barbs instead of the Banjo hose barbs.  Those beautiful Banjo hose barbs are composed of polypropylene and fiberglass (and expensive).   The SH will corrode and eat up the fiberglass in the hose barbs eventually causing leaks, cracks and premature failure.  Of course, the more often you rinse, the longer the barbs may last.

Did you purchase the mounts with your 3-Way Banjo Ball Valves?

If you have any questions, give me a call.

Sweetie, please fill out a signature, so people CAN contact you and Rex :)