ordep81

How to properly price a roof clean job?

As I begin on this new venture I have been doing much research on the actual cleaning of roof cleaning, and not much on the actual business side of it. I have the slightest idea as to how much to charge for a job. I would like to get some input as to how many of you do it. Do you guys charge per hr or sq footage of a roof?

In the more competitive areas like FLA. I believe they go by sq. ft. In the less competitive areas you can factor

amount of landscaping- more plants more time for watering

Risk of being on the roof- can you safely walk the roof

Amount of mix you'll need

potential pitfalls-decks,fish ponds,etc

PITA factor of the customer

As I begin on this new venture I have been doing much research on the actual cleaning of roof cleaning, and not much on the actual business side of it. I have the slightest idea as to how much to charge for a job. I would like to get some input as to how many of you do it. Do you guys charge per hr or sq footage of a roof?

Never ever per hour, ever! I can do a 2500 sq ft shingle roof in a 1/2 hour, yet we charge from 375 to 450 for it.

Always by the sq ft, and every area has different prices. I would actually call your local competitors, introduce yourself, and ask them what to charge.

Try to work WITH your local competitors, and not undercut them, no one wins in a price war.

I never give a quote without a job site visit, unless I know the community. I always go to Goggle Earth before any job site visit to look at the community and the building.

Never ever per hour, ever! I can do a 2500 sq ft shingle roof in a 1/2 hour, yet we charge from 375 to 450 for it.

Always by the sq ft, and every area has different prices. I would actually call your local competitors, introduce yourself, and ask them what to charge.

Try to work WITH your local competitors, and not undercut them, no one wins in a price war.

Chris,  do you base the square feet off the size of the roof or the size of the house?  If it's off the square feet of the roof, how do you measure it (or how did you measure it 20 years ago...I'm sure you can pretty much tell square inches from 100 yards away at this point).  A 2000 square foot HOUSE with a high pitch/dormer/decorative roof could have 5000 square feet of roof. 

It's impossible to tell the square foot of a roof based off the square foot of the house.

A ranch house without a basement might be 1500 sqft and the roof might be about 2000 sqft 

A ranch house with a "finished" basement would be 3,000 sqft  and still have the 2000 sqft roof.

Also

A ranch house without a basment can have the same sqft roof as a 2 story colonial.  

Edited by ROOF CLEANING OF MID-MO

It is actually illegal to collude on pricing if you are bidding the same job with competitors, but I agree is good to contact them and ask what they are charging. 

We price our job by asking the customer what their budget is. Super easy to survey a few other of your neighbours what would they pay for a job. 

Kyle 

Roof Demossing Victoria BC