ordep81

Roof cleaning rig kit?

Im looking at getting a rig asap in order to get practice this summer and actually hit the ground running next spring. Im really looking at getting the Fatboy bandit roof system from Pressure Tek. I would just like to know if this would be a good system to start with and anyone recommend this? Would this system be able to handle commercial type roofs in the future such as hotels/apartments? Appreciate the help.

Pedro Oliva

That would work to get you started and making money. Then spend the winter browsing auction sites and get what you need to build a "big" rig for next year like I did.   There is nothing this won't handle withy ease3.

I have a couple of new in the Box Fatboy 2's that I need to move. PM me if you are interested. Simply a matter of ordering hose, getting a deep cycle battery, some BIG power cables and a tank. Go with the 5/8" hose to start with so you can upgrade pumps, plus a bigger hose won't work the electric pump quite so hard and will give you more distance. 

BUT...that being said, an Air diaphragm pump system is an option that should not be dismissed. There are some beginners here who are running AODD setups right out of the gate. It is actually really easy to set up. In terms of flexibility, longevity and less trouble, it is the way I certainly WISH I had started out with from day one. Electric roof cleaning pump systems...er...build character. There are a lot of experienced guys running big air setups here that will be happy to help with any questions you have. 

Plus, you will want an AODD setup if you plan to go into larger commercial work. It is pretty much a must have due to the longer run times and longer reach (both hose and distance), particularly with the bigger 1" pumps.  With electric, you have a limited window before the average big deep cycle starts to draw down voltage wise and your pump gets slow. Not a problem doing houses, but when you start doing larger complexes, it just isn't enough. With an AODD pump, just add more gas to the air compressor and keep running. The biggest drawback to an air setup is that there is more capital investment up front because you need to buy the pump and compressor, though with electric you do need to invest in a good deep cycle battery and that offsets a used gas compressor. Also, if you decided roof cleaning wasn't your thing, an AODD system is very easy to sell off where as a used electric system is pretty much not gonna move very easily since the pumps are sacrificial. 

There is one more of the Yamada Kynar NDP-15's on Ebay for $289 BIN and an ARO 1/2" Kynar/Teflon Pump for $329 BIN. Those are both GREAT beginner air pumps that are super easy to resell. If I didn't already have an AODD collection, I would pick one up. Grab them now...even if it is for a future rig upgrade. All you need is a contractor gas compressor (Craigslist), some air lines and a simple inline water separator and your tank and you are good to go.

When you are really cranking on the bigger projects, you can upgrade to a bigger 1" pump and swap the 1/2" pump over for either flat work, siding, or use it as an SH transfer pump for the rig. 

I have a couple of new in the Box Fatboy 2's that I need to move. PM me if you are interested. Simply a matter of ordering hose, getting a deep cycle battery, some BIG power cables and a tank. Go with the 5/8" hose to start with so you can upgrade pumps, plus a bigger hose won't work the electric pump quite so hard and will give you more distance. 

BUT...that being said, an Air diaphragm pump system is an option that should not be dismissed. There are some beginners here who are running AODD setups right out of the gate. It is actually really easy to set up. In terms of flexibility, longevity and less trouble, it is the way I certainly WISH I had started out with from day one. Electric roof cleaning pump systems...er...build character. There are a lot of experienced guys running big air setups here that will be happy to help with any questions you have. 

Plus, you will want an AODD setup if you plan to go into larger commercial work. It is pretty much a must have due to the longer run times and longer reach (both hose and distance), particularly with the bigger 1" pumps.  With electric, you have a limited window before the average big deep cycle starts to draw down voltage wise and your pump gets slow. Not a problem doing houses, but when you start doing larger complexes, it just isn't enough. With an AODD pump, just add more gas to the air compressor and keep running. The biggest drawback to an air setup is that there is more capital investment up front because you need to buy the pump and compressor, though with electric you do need to invest in a good deep cycle battery and that offsets a used gas compressor. Also, if you decided roof cleaning wasn't your thing, an AODD system is very easy to sell off where as a used electric system is pretty much not gonna move very easily since the pumps are sacrificial. 

There is one more of the Yamada Kynar NDP-15's on Ebay for $289 BIN and an ARO 1/2" Kynar/Teflon Pump for $329 BIN. Those are both GREAT beginner air pumps that are super easy to resell. If I didn't already have an AODD collection, I would pick one up. Grab them now...even if it is for a future rig upgrade. All you need is a contractor gas compressor (Craigslist), some air lines and a simple inline water separator and your tank and you are good to go.

When you are really cranking on the bigger projects, you can upgrade to a bigger 1" pump and swap the 1/2" pump over for either flat work, siding, or use it as an SH transfer pump for the rig. 

Exactly what Kevin said, grab one of those air diaphragm roof cleaning pumps mentioned, get while the getting is good!

When looking for a compressor is there something that are must haves on the compressor to consider buying one?

Good operating condition goes without saying. Check for oil in the motor and a clean air filter. Also, parts availability is nice in case it needs service...which eliminates the Chinese EBay compressors in my book. Other than that, CFM rating is the thing that will get you the flow and distance, and what you want to look at. Also, one bigger tank is preferable over twin tanks. Reserve is good.

Air pumps have flow charts which give to you a range of flows with head (lift) and CFM rewuirments to reach the desired flow at specific lift heights. Ideally....note that word....a 1/2" pump wants to see 8-12 CFM at 100PSI. Most 3/4" pumps like to see 12-18 CFM. And the 1" Pumps would like 15-45 CFM.mhowever...lethal does NOT mesh you can't use a bigger pump with a smaller compressor. The misunderstanding folks have is assuming a BIG pump won't operate on a smaller compressor. It will. It just won't deliver quite the flow it is *capable* of....though with the really big 1" or larger pumps that is pretty much a moot point since it is pretty rare you need 45 GPM at zero head. A big pump is also barely working at he flow rates roof cleaning typically demands so reliability goes up. It is like putting a really big engine in a smaller vehicle. It just kinda loafs along.

I use a 1" Hastelloy pump with a truck mount Quincy 30 Gal compressor that does 20 CFM at the pressure we typically run it at. I also have a 3/4" Kynar pump we use for SH transfer and a 3/8" Kynar pump we are mounting on the truck to do BARC F9 application with. All of them run fine off the compressor. We also use the bigger compressor to run an air hose on a reel to do debris Blowdowns and that can only be done on a bigger compressor with a decent reserve. Many of the guys running Air on this forum are running contractor type gas engine compressors like Rigids or Dewalts with 1/2" air pumps.

Im looking at getting a rig asap in order to get practice this summer and actually hit the ground running next spring. Im really looking at getting the Fatboy bandit roof system from Pressure Tek. I would just like to know if this would be a good system to start with and anyone recommend this? Would this system be able to handle commercial type roofs in the future such as hotels/apartments? Appreciate the help.

Pedro Oliva

Pedro, that's what I started with and still use it!