mikea

Need some advice on a roof cleaning job.

So my season has been in full swing and things are coming together nicely and I'm learned the ins and out of cleaning roofs at a professional level. I have a couple dozen roofs under my belt so far. I would like some advice on an upcoming job and how other guys would handle a couple factors that I have yet to deal with.  This is an older property with a lot of landscaping to protect around it and awnings that may need to be removed if I can't cover them somehow. Also, I see some gutters but some sections there are none to catch run off.  I'm planing on take a day to do this right and not rush.

I need some veteran insight before I go into this at the end of the week!

post-2263-0-29661000-1399389107_thumb.pn

Ditto. Dedicated human sprinkler...or if there are enough spigots and you are running one man, portable lawn sprinklers and just let them run. Make sure they close ALL the windows (ask me how I know this!). Also, inspect the upper covered deck to see what they are made from. You may need to wet them down as well to avoid making "clean spots". 

How do you plan to access the roof? There are some sections that are not going to be easy to hit from a ladder. If it was me, I would do a ground tie off, get to the peak,  install some permanent anchors, harness in and hit the upper, harnessed from the roof. Either that or rent a lift. You can charge for the anchors since they are permanent and just a darned good idea to have on any steep/high house. 

What did you quote on the job if I might ask?

Completed this job on friday and it went great! I lucked out and had access to the entire roof from a back deck and flat walkable areas throughout the roof that you can't see from street view.

- Chris, I took your advice and pre wet the awnings and had a ground guy just constantly spraying before during and after.

- Peak,  I priced it out at per square foot and it ended up being $675. I new it would be a tricky cleaning but wanted the job. It ended up being a half a days worth of work for me and my ground guy. I made a 50 gal mix at 40% SH and only ended up using about half of it.

Would be interesting to here what you guys would have charged just by looking at it from the pictures. I know my prices are inline with other local roof cleaners and have actually gotten a handful of jobs that I quoted $50-100 more then the other guys.  The homeowners just liked how I sold the work and explained everything too them completely.