PeakOfPerfection

Using Calcium HypoChlorite to make Chlorine Solution

So we will know that Sodium Hypochlorite is the preferred disinfection and oxidizing agent for roof cleaning. And we all know it can be spendy depending on where up you live.

We also know the stories of the disaster that was caused by using Calcium Hypochlorite...aka Pool Shock with the scale left on the roof after the calcium precipitated out. Pool shock is cheap and delivers a hell of a bang for the buck in terms of delivering a large quantity of free chlorine into the water.

So....the problem seems to me to be the Calcium portion of the solution. But what if the Calcium levels in this solution could be removed or substantially reduced? High calcium levels in water are a problem which has been dealt with for decades as hard water. There are tons and tons of established methods for significant calcium reduction in domestic water. So...what would happen if to you mixed up...say a 100 Gallon Solution of 5% calcium Hypochloride and then ran it thru a water softening system to precipitate and remove the calcium? You would obviously need to avoid any system that has filtration which removes chlorine!

Would you not end then up with a far less expensive chlorine solution with substantially reduced excess sodium load vs starting with a sodium hypochlorite base and little free calcium? Would this not be a good way to produce your own lower sodium chlorinated mix for a lot less money other than the cost of a Zeolite based water softener or even a home made system with a Zeolite resin bed, a bit of salt for a brine regeneration solution, and a bit of time to run the mix thru? And while true that sodium chloride would need to be added in the softening process, I suspect the concentration will be far lower and costs would be substantially reduced compared to purchasing factory produced Sodium Hypochlorite/Water mix.

I don't believe Zeolite will reduce free chlorine as it is used in pool filters.

So two tanks, a pump, the softener, a pump, water a drain into the city for the regenerated water solution and some pool shock and you could have your own Chlorine station.

I may be missing something chemically but the idea just popped in there and had to get it out for discussion.

What I just realized in looking at the different Calcium Hypochlorite products commonly available is that they are 74% with the remainder being....salts. I will contact my chem guys to find out if they sell purer forms with less filler/salts.

What I just realized in looking at the different Calcium Hypochlorite products commonly available is that they are 74% with the remainder being....salts. I will contact my chem guys to find out if they sell purer forms with less filler/salts.

By all means explore it http://roof-cleaning-institute.activeboard.com/t20710346/calcium-hypochlorite-for-roof-cleaning/

Peak, This is from my pool operation days. Was always battling 480+ ppm readings in my pool which leads to buildup in my equipment and pool deck.  My pool guru had me do a fairly concentrated mix with agitation let it settle out over night, then decant leaving the calcium sediment. Much like making wine or beer and leaving the dredges.  It was a hassle but worked. Basically took a valve at the base and elbowed up the tube above the sediment line. Another valve drain on opposing side to drain the calcium muck. Aways went with the most concentrated mix for best bang for the buck, I was getting 78% i believe.

Edited by Jeff Mathieson

Gentlemen,  THANK YOU sooo very much for this post!  We need more exposure on the Cal Hypo issue so that people truly understand the product before using it or experimenting with it and a softener .  Great idea on initiating the thought process!  Keep it up Kevin!  KUDOS!