PeakOfPerfection

1" AODD HASTELLOY Air Diaphragm Pumps...$499 ea. 5 Available.

My pump is fine. Took it apart and there is NO damage to the diaphrams. Only thing I can figure is this pump has everything  bigger, including the air intake. I think I had some water in the line on the hose reel in the back of my truck, and with the increased flow it picked it up and flooded the inside of the pump. Took it completely apart and dried it all out and drained my tank and hose. Now it will work as intended.

Sorry to holler    WOLF   WOLF.      LOL

My pump is fine. Took it apart and there is NO damage to the diaphrams. Only thing I can figure is this pump has everything  bigger, including the air intake. I think I had some water in the line on the hose reel in the back of my truck, and with the increased flow it picked it up and flooded the inside of the pump. Took it completely apart and dried it all out and drained my tank and hose. Now it will work as intended.

Sorry to holler    WOLF   WOLF.      LOL

I was not "scared", although I think it is prudent to run a new pump like these, that has sat for many years, with low air pressure, at first.

These truly are heroic pumps, at a whole nother level, from what we have experienced before.

You about gave me a friggin heart attack when I saw the post last night!  I was preparing myself to have to buy new diaphragms for everybody! At least I did get to take the pump apart to see what makes it tick (it is SOO easy to service it is almost silly!) I am still going to take the diaphragms into my pump guy to see what replacements can be had for. 

Apparently there is a company called Gore who makes a diaphragm called the One-Up. It is a single piece bonded rubber and PTFE diaphragm which is a direct replacement for the two piece setups. He said that his clients are getting up to 10X as long a life out of their pumps with those diaphragms in them. They supply OEM to Warren Rupp so chances are there is a diaphragm which will fit our pumps since I am 99% sure these have Warren Rupp internals on them and were OEM'd for Crane under Crane's specs...which is why they are so stupidly overbuilt. 

The other option if you have a diaphragm go down is that 90% chance the rubber is what will go, not the Teflon. So you may be able to just get the rubber piece. 

Oh...and the metal figment piece you see in the picture above?  The opposing fluid side piece has a nice big label on it that says "Hastelloy". That one piece probably originally cost more than what an entire Versamatic 3/8" pump sells for! 

It would be nice to find some plastic bolts for the flanges Kevin, what size are they ?

Plastic Bolts come apart easier! 

http://www.fastenercomponents.com/plastic_materials.html

"Plastic bolts come apart easier!"

Enough said. I am sticking with 316 stainless with Nylocks, coated in Plasti-dip. Use some anti seize on them if it is a concern.

Guys...I have to admit, I am terribly embarrassed. I just checked my mail and found five envelopes with teflon/Viton flange seals on them. 

We forgot to put the freaking postage on the envelopes. 

8f8dce86.jpg

I apologize. I will stick them all into Priority mail envelopes and get them out first thing Monday. 

So...to help make up for it...I found and snagged an auction lot of brand new in the box Air End Rebuild Kits for our pumps!

I have enough for each buyer to get one. Each one is $250 with shipping. The air end is the most difficult and expensive part to get, other than the Hastelloy manifolds. My pump contact said those kits typically run about $750-$1000...so this is a steal. With an air end rebuild kit in your hand, your pump should be good to go for many years. 

Oh...and my guy said he remembered that pump sold for about $8000 new. 

Still working on replacement diaphragms. 

Hey Guys...

So Gary's pump has failed. What I think has happened is that because these sat in the box, the rubber diaphragms may have sagged just a tiny bit....enough to allow for fluid to bypass thru the shaft and get into the air section. I suspect he blew out the air end at this point from hydraulic lock. It is very possible that his pump simply suffered infant mortality and the rest of the pumps will be totally fine...but it happened so we want to do everything possible to prevent it from happening. Normally on a piece of equipment, I would say forget about it....but these pumps are just so darned good that it will be worth the extra little bit of effort.,

So, a couple of things....First off,obviously it wasn't my intent for guys to have problems and that is why I only jumped on the pumps because they were brand new in the box and not used or rebuilt. But...apparently if they sit, things might happen.

These are is my recommendations in talking to pump guys. First, If you have not already done so, I am recommending you take your pump apart and tighten the diaphragm bolts to factory specs. You could also rotate the diaphragms 180 degrees of you feel so inclined. I am thinking of installing a thin Viton o ring seal on on the drive shaft between the Teflon diaphragm and the rubber diaphragm as an added safety measure to stop potential leakage. I plan to head to the local industrial supply to look for that this afternoon..

Second....run them in. Run them in with LOW pressure. Let the diaphragms break in. I would run them with the muffler off and circulate fresh water for a while with an open hose.

Third. Replacement diaphragms. I am working with Garlock on some One Up replacement diaphragms. The One Up is an ultra tough one piece design specifically engineered to replace two piece diaphragms and to last many many times longer. I will post here when I have the info.

Okay...update to the update. Gary took his pump over to a pump guy in town. The pulled the diaphragms and discovered that the backing plate on the rubber air section had detached. The guy reglued it and then fashioned a Viton gasket to go on the bolt on the outside of the Teflon fluid diaphragm. They opened the air section...dumped all the fluid out and hooked air up to it...and it worked again. 

Soo...

New recommendation. Pull the diaphragms and check the backing plates to see if they are firmly glued. I am going to contact the company Gary got the gasket from and see about having them make up gaskets for everybody's pump...front and back. 

Also...turns out the inner diaphragm is NOT rubber. The pump guy said it actually Viton. SCORE! 

Oh...and yes, the flange gaskets went out. 

Update on my repair from yesterday.  It is a total success.  YEA.

Today I mounted the hastelloy pump right in front of my Aro pump and fashioned a draw  tube through the tank  lid. I pumped almost 200 gals of solution through it with NO problems. I am going to leave it this way for a while just to make sure. I can switch to other pump simply by switching the air hose and the spray hose. Takes about 20 seconds.  Hurray!!!!!!!

Okay guys...after a TON of searching, I finally have Warren Rupp Cross-reference numbers for the diaphragms on the pumps. 

I also have Garlock sending me a sample one piece diaphragm set to try out to make sure it fits. Will post pricing on both as soon as I have them. Looks like the Warren Rupp parts are actually pretty reasonable. Looking to see if I can score anything on that front. Stay tunes. 

Here are the numbers. Note that I am unsure if the backup diaphragm is Viton, will need to make a phone call to find out and because an employee called in sick today, it was up to me to wash 9000 sq ft of roofs. 

Waren Rupp Diaphragm Reference numbers...

86-008-365 back up. 

286-015-604 Teflon Wet End Diaphragm. 

Okay guys...after a TON of searching, I finally have Warren Rupp Cross-reference numbers for the diaphragms on the pumps. 

I also have Garlock sending me a sample one piece diaphragm set to try out to make sure it fits. Will post pricing on both as soon as I have them. Looks like the Warren Rupp parts are actually pretty reasonable. Looking to see if I can score anything on that front. Stay tunes. 

Here are the numbers. Note that I am unsure if the backup diaphragm is Viton, will need to make a phone call to find out and because an employee called in sick today, it was up to me to wash 9000 sq ft of roofs. 

Waren Rupp Diaphragm Reference numbers...

86-008-365 back up. 

286-015-604 Teflon Wet End Diaphragm. 

Great Job Kevin, and we all greatly appreciate your detective work! 

But I seriously doubt that any of us will require new diaphragms anytime soon.

A big 1 inch pump is basically just loafing, at the GPM's we ask of it.

Yeah...but I want guys to have the resource. If I sell something, I do what I can to support the sale and that is what I am doing here. Even though I didn't make anything on them, my name is still associated, so I need to make sure guys get what they paid for and can continue to use them for a good long time.

Yeah...but I want guys to have the resource. If I sell something, I do what I can to support the sale and that is what I am doing here. Even though I didn't make anything on them, my name is still associated, so I need to make sure guys get what they paid for and can continue to use them for a good long time.

Well, no roof cleaning pump lasts "forever", but these are about as close as it gets.

I noticed right away that the 1 inch air diaphragm pumps lasted much longer then the 1/2 inch pumps,. that lasted longer then the 3/8 pumps.

This is because at the flow rates we all demand from them, the larger pumps are working less hard.

Less mechanical movement equals longer pump life, it's quite simple.

Okay guys...time to step up to the plate. Enough with all the Girly Man Pumps. Time to get You a REAL Man's Pump. 

I just made a deal to buy a quantity of these 1" Air Diaphragm pumps,  big boys. Best of off, all wetted surfaces are Hastelloy, meaning they are EXTREMELY chemical resistant. In the realm of AODD pumps...Kynar, and Hastelloy are pretty much IT for pumping Chlorine. You won't find a 1" Kynar Pump...even used, for much under a Grand. New...try $2K. And Hastelly? Hastelloy pumps are like Unicorns...mythical, very rare and expensive. The biggest advantage to a Hastelloy Pump is that unlike Kynar,  you can step on this or use it as a weapon to beat somebody into submission, put it back onto the truck and it won't care. It is metal...but metal that won't corrode. 

These have Teflon diaphragms and are brand new in the box. I am offering them to the forum since I know there are a lot of guys here who are ready for the next step...or guys building their first rig who could use something that...well, should last them for years and years and years and will never be a limiting factor. 

These pump are made by Crane, who makes the Rolls Royce of pumps. Designed for extreme operations in Pharmaceutical and Chemical manufacturing plants, they are highly overbuilt. New, a 1" Hastelloy Pump with PTFE Diaphragms of this quality can run you north of $6000, and these ARE  brand new in the crate. They do have flanged input and outputs, so you will need to adapt over to a flanged fitting...but that is no big deal. Kynar and PVC Flanges are easy to get. Don't bother with a Hastelloy Flange...it will cost you as much as this pump (that stuff is EXPENSIVE!) 

Use one as your main pump. Use it as a transfer pump. Scare the competition. Do like Gary does and spray from a Lawn Chair, sipping a Mai Tai.  

I have five available for sale...after keeping a couple of them for myself. They should arrive next week and will be ready to ship out. I am also trying to get a good deal on a diaphragm replacement set and will post once that information is available. 

Oh...and yeah, my 3/4" All Flo will become my new Transfer pump...this will be the new Main pump on my rig.

Shipping will be from Bellingham WA...figure somewhere in the $75 range or so via Ground. 

Post you want one in this thread or call me and I will put one...or two (hint hint Chris) aside. 

_57-3_zpsd996923f.jpg

_57-5_zps75cb6a7f.jpg

Kevin

Where do you buy a pump like this? Can't seem to find it on the internet. When I type the description in, this thread comes up in google lol. I am interested in this pump and also what type of air compressor you recommend for this set up.

Kevin

Where do you buy a pump like this? Can't seem to find it on the internet. When I type the description in, this thread comes up in google lol. I am interested in this pump and also what type of air compressor you recommend for this set up.

Well, if you are going to buy a new 1" Hastelloy-C pump...be prepared. They are a very specialized product and currently run about $8000. No, that is not a misprint. This was a one time only, special deal. I ran across these in an industrial auction from an auctioneering house who had absolutely no clue what they had...but I did. I jumped on them and bought the entire lot, kept a couple for myself and passed the rest along to the fellow roof cleaners. I wish I had 50 more. 

As for a compressor, what I *recommend* to run a pump like this and what you can *afford* may be two different things. I recommend a minimum of a 20 CFM compressor. 45 CFM is ideal. While a big 1" industrial pump *can* run on a 9-12 CFM contractor compressor and do so all day long, you won't get all the distance and flow it is capable of. I currently use a truck mount 20 CFM Quincy...but am planning on getting a VMAC compressor installed...either the 45 or the 75 CFM version. At 45 CFM it will deliver the full capability which we would only use for doing very very fast wash downs (plus some killer debris blow downs)...but you are into $5-7K for the compressor.

So...if you are looking for a good 1" pump and you plan to have a truck mount compressor, then I would look on Ebay for an ARO, Wilden, Husky or Yamada Kynar (PVDF) Diaphragm pump. The thing with used pumps is that you need to make sure the diaphragms are in good shape. 

As for new...All Flo makes a 1" AODD Pump in Kynar in the $1800 range that is a very nice rig. They also make a 3/4" pump that is a workhorse for about $1100 that will run all day maxed out at 18 CFM. That is what I had on my truck prior to getting the beasts...we still use it as an SH transfer pump.  

As for a compressor...this is a really really good deal in my book...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331318165896?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

55 CFM truck mount for $3400. I have to admit I am tempted...though the VMAC will obviously take up zero room (then again, I do have a 14' flatbed!). 

Kevin, do you forsee any more of the Hastelloy pumps becoming available?

Gene, I  wish I had 50 more! But unfortunately, looks like that was a one shot deal. I let the auction company know that if they ever ran across more, I would take them in a heartbeat. I do keep my eyes peeled for other good pump deals and if I run across another great deal on a 1" pump, I will grab them.

Instead of spending bigger bucks, for now Im picking up an HF construction grade compressor (1yr old) and will run it with my current compressor in tandem. Nearly identical specs on both to run my Hastelloy 1" eventually going with a larger compressor down the road. Also picking up a enclosed utility trailer duel wheel 8x16 for a great price. 

It feels like this winter is taking forever!!!!

Chris had a link to them in another thread. Just do a search for gaskets. I just ordered them in from my local plumbing supply house when I was selling the pumps. I'll be going there again on Wed to pick up some 2" gaskets and flanges for the beast pump.