On an average roof, say 1000 sq ft, how much mix should I expect to use?

I average 15 gal on a GM laden 1000 sq ft roof with moderate moss. You can more than double that if it has a heavy Moss. I've done some with carpet layers in that size range with a low pitch that took 50 Gallons of mix to clean.

Every roof is different....pitch, style, GM load, Moss....and your spraying will be inefficient to start until you get your technique down. Double your surfactant to start....it will make more foam and allow you to more easily see where you have just sprayed.

TRUST YOUR MIX! Don't be afraid to give it some dwell time before you redo sections. Grab a brush and pole and hit the gutter fronts. Drink some water, eat a few chips, return a call or two, but learn patience. It can take some time for all the reaction to fully occur. It is SOOO very tempting to finish, see a section and immediately hit it again, only to see no change. Patience.

Don't be afraid to modify your mix on site. Dumping another 5 gal of SH into the mix may make the difference in a truly stubborn section. Particularly with Moss. Remember, moss is hydrophilic...it absorbs water....but it has a saturation point. Treating a highly mossy roof after a week of rain can be an exercise in futility.

Mix strength and activity also varies with temperature. Things will react strongly at higher temperatures, thus the mix percentages can go down during warmer weather. Conversely with colder temps you may find yourself upping the percentage to get the same reaction.

Also...Don't forget safety. With your pump setup, there is a good chance you will have to be up on a roof. Invest in a good harness (I like Petzl), a good traveller and lanyard, and good safety lines. Know how to put in anchors...or partner up with a local roofing company to install them. Customers WILL pay for them and they DO worry about people falling off the roof. I charge $50 each and don't get objections very often. Know how to get to the top of the pitch safely to rig in and invest in some good roofing shoes.

Remember, if you step foot on that roof, it is Federal law that you use a proper fall arrest system...plus it is just another thing that sets you apart as a true professional. Make it a major selling point to your clients and you will be shocked at how many more doors will open and how many more contracts you will get even if you are more expensive.

Peak, I am hoping to do most roofs off from a ladder or off the ground. There are taller houses around and a good quality ladder should suffice. I dont really want to get on any roof. I know that I may have to and in that case I will have safety equipment. Most houses up here dont have gutters and not much moss so I will have to rinse and going the electric way to start and what I have been reading  I will have to rinse alot. Will a pump booster help with the higher peaks?

Thanks for the advice

post-1-0-97396100-1396230799_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-97396100-1396230799_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-06219600-1396230805_thumb.jpg

Also...Don't forget safety. With your pump setup, there is a good chance you will have to be up on a roof. Invest in a good harness (I like Petzl), a good traveller and lanyard, and good safety lines. Know how to put in anchors...or partner up with a local roofing company to install them. Customers WILL pay for them and they DO worry about people falling off the roof. I charge $50 each and don't get objections very often. Know how to get to the top of the pitch safely to rig in and invest in some good roofing shoes.

Remember, if you step foot on that roof, it is Federal law that you use a proper fall arrest system...plus it is just another thing that sets you apart as a true professional. Make it a major selling point to your clients and you will be shocked at how many more doors will open and how many more contracts you will get even if you are more expensive.

We just did this metal roof, and we were considerable more expensive then some ladder jockey local handyman/part time roof cleaner, but guess who got the job!

This seems like a good hose reel at a decent price. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-Garden-Products-200-ft-3-in-1-Hose-Reel-703/203584318

Not ready yet to go with the stainless $400 reel yet

Good find...for your water hose. The SH would tear that reel apart in no time flat leaving you with a rusted, leaking reel. You haven't yet discovered what a strange mistress SH can be.

Either stick with no reel for now....which is what a lot of guys here are doing, even the big names, or invest in a good one and rinse every time with the pumps.

Booster pump...you might as well buy a bigger pump if you find yourself needing more reach. If you treat mostly lower pitch, single story roofs, your pump will run fine. But treating higher, steeper pitch setups....well, there is a reason so many electric guys use FB2 pumps or AODD setups.

If you watch the trends around here over the years, the trend is towards bigger and bigger pumps, with many of the top guys going To Air Operated Double Diaphragm Pumps (AODD). Why? Because it is possible to get industrial AODD pumps designed for industrial chemical use which are built out of materials such as Kynar or Hastelloy and are suited and designed for pumping pure corrosive chemicals, meaning the mix we use is a cakewalk. They are far more reliable than the electric setups and allow for more production. They do require a compressor with the disadvantages of related noise, fuel and space requirements, but many are willing to go that route for the advantages. The simple fact is, the electric pumps we use were never designed to pump SH thru them, nor are they designed for the type of demands we use them for. They are a compromise which we make work because they do have advantages in being quiet, simple and inexpensive. They give it up in reliability and reach for bigger/steeper projects and resistance to the chemicals we use....which is why you rinse your electric pumps religiously. Reliability will become a prime factor as you grow, you want to be out cleaning roofs, not fixing sh!t. Plus the bigger the pump is, the further it shoots, giving you more and more options for staying off the roof. I just switched myself to a big AODD setup and the difference is astounding. More volume and reach also allows you to cover a roof faster...,but they also allow to throttle down to an ultra fine mist without the problems electrics have which require accumulators.

65 Gal tank....good start but you will quickly find yourself wanting two things...

A bigger tank so you can load enough material to do more than one roof at at time if you are doing larger projects and...

A fresh water rinse tank.

That being said, go out and get some jobs under your belt with the setup you have, then upgrade with the proceeds. Learn from the mistakes the other guys have made on your rig. You will quickly discover the flaws and inefficiencies in your Setup and take steps to correct them. Bigger pumps, bigger hose, spares spares spares, tools tools tools, massive battery cables, bigger batteries, bigger truck, accumulators, relays, AODD pumps, they will all soon become part of your thinking process and wish list, for better or worse.

Post pics of your setup before everything is bolted down ...the guys around here can give you tips and hints to help improve your efficiency and layout. Check out my build thread (the rebuilding of the rig) to see what a bigger AODD setup looks like.

Peak, I am hoping to do most roofs off from a ladder or off the ground. There are taller houses around and a good quality ladder should suffice. I dont really want to get on any roof. I know that I may have to and in that case I will have safety equipment. Most houses up here dont have gutters and not much moss so I will have to rinse and going the electric way to start and what I have been reading  I will have to rinse alot. Will a pump booster help with the higher peaks?

Thanks for the advice

Don't forget your ladder standoff....maybe the single most important piece of safety gear you will own! LOT of guys use Laddermax. Myself included.

Ya Ive been thinking about the electric setup and the steep roofs around. http://www.harborfreight.com/212cc-9-gal-135-psi-gas-powered-wheelbarrow-air-compressor-69783.html   thinking this compressor has too small storage. 9 gallon tank.Would this compressor handle a Versamatic air pump with 1/2 inch hose?

Not worried about my truck, 2005 Tundra crew cab. Setup will be on a utility trailer 5x8. 

The HF compressor will run a Versamatic 3/8", but might be iffy on a 1/2" pump. Honestly, I wouldn't go less than a 1/2" pump if you are going to go air. Doesn't make sense in my book unless...again...you have a lot of low pitch single story homes. Being in snow and rain country, you want the reach since roofs tend to be steeper and higher.  Check Craigslist...a lot of guys pick up compressors on CL.

Also...stay tuned on the Air Pump front...I will be doing a posting for some...er...killer pumps that I recently picked up in bulk and will be offering to the forum members. 

When a friend of mine gets his rig all together and posts some pics, everyone will see what I helped him locate and buy to get started in a big way.

6' x 12' enclosed trailer, dual axel with brakes on both axels----new--rolling billboard.

1" AODD pump--new--43gpm

3600 psi--4gpm hot water pressure washer---new

gas powered dual stage air compressor with 60 gal. tank--used--military surplus

SS custom nozzle with lifetime warranty--new

238 gal tank with steel cage---used

200' extra pw hose--new

200' 3/4" spray hose--new

He is a premium member and owns a roofing and restoration company in ohio.  Looking for big things to happen for him. Great guy.

When a friend of mine gets his rig all together and posts some pics, everyone will see what I helped him locate and buy to get started in a big way.

6' x 12' enclosed trailer, dual axel with brakes on both axels----new--rolling billboard.

1" AODD pump--new--43gpm

3600 psi--4gpm hot water pressure washer---new

gas powered dual stage air compressor with 60 gal. tank--used--military surplus

SS custom nozzle with lifetime warranty--new

238 gal tank with steel cage---used

200' extra pw hose--new

200' 3/4" spray hose--new

He is a premium member and owns a roofing and restoration company in ohio.  Looking for big things to happen for him. Great guy.

If he doesn't have his pump yet...check out the deal I just posted on 1" Hastelloy Pumps. Need a backup? :-P

I called him. He already has a pump, but could use it as a transfer pump and use yours as a spray pump. 

I called him. He already has a pump, but could use it as a transfer pump and use yours as a spray pump. 

Let me know if he wants one and I will put one aside... Post over in the pump for sale thread so we aren't taking over ReNu's thread. 

Hello All, 

I read this thread and really learned a lot in regards who to contact as an asset that will throw work your way, and also the options for places to buy tanks.  I do have a question for Gene, how was that pump kit that you bought that you mentioned at the top of the thread.  I am about to order a pump kit , but not sure what would be the best fit.  Please advise.  Thanks 

I bought the pump kit but I sold it soon after, never used it. I went with an air system. 1/2 inch AODD Yamada Kynar pump with teflon diaphrams and run it off a Rigid 5 hp air compressor. Im looking at adding a larger trailer or flat bed truck, another compressor that I can get at a decent price and a 1" pump to reach the peaks on taller roofs. I also use a water booster for rinsing @ 20gpm.