jjmihal

House cleaning help!

Rich,..I don't make assumptions,..I've tried everything you've mentioned,..and ALOT more,..believe me.  Start sifting through the old RCIA and PWI forums and you will see,...and I know the pitfalls of each. And yes,..oxidation can be scrubbed off of any surface with just water,.basically the same as buffing,..would I do it,..No,..I wouldn't,..I was only pointing out that you're mix wasn't working,..you were. Was you're mix better than water,..sure,..but not nearly as good as other products. 

As far as Sodium Percarbonate being in your mix,.you mention using Arm and Hammer and Oxiclean for shingles, and siding. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

I use A&H + oxi clean on shingles, tiles, siding, everything.  it even cleans the windows 9/10 without scrubbing.  just don't let it sit in the hot sun.  

You said no sodium Percarbonate is used,...Here you mention Oxiclean,..what do you think is in OxiClean!

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Think what you want lol.  What we use was exclusively passed down by a highly reputable member here on this board, i didn't come up with this or figure this out.  Again there is no sodium per carbonate n the A&H product haha.  I  have used my mixed weeks later after mixing and it still works, but i guess that means nothing to you either.  

Can someone please reinforce that bad gutter oxidization cannot be fully removed with a brush and water lol.  A very strong Sh mix can remove it also,  once you go over 6% SH the sodium hydroxide really starts to work.  Would i recommend it? No probably not because the chance of nuking plants is really high.  

Just because it says oxi clean on it doesn't mean there is SP in it lol.  Welcome to marketing.  Link to there MSDS below on this.  

https://wercs.churchdwight.com/webviewer.external/private/document.aspx?prd=MSDS-101A~~PDF~~MTR~~NAM~~EN~~2009-11-20 11%3A51%3A03~~ARM %26 HAMMER ESENTIAL PLUS OXICLEAN LIQUID DETERGENT W/O ENZYMES~~&productName_option=d__value~&productID_option=d__value~&language=d__EN&CUSTOM1=d__Laundry Products&hidRequiredList=ConcatedValue =

Now, I hope this helps this paint the picture for you and for anyone else.

Did you even look at the link i posted?  It's the MSDS of the A&H with oxi clean.  This isn't a religion man, the facts are right there planted for you.  Quit believing what you want to believe. 

I give up!

You don't clean gutters with SH and surfactant or hydroxide if you want them clean. You use a proper gutter cleaner. 

Jeff

Hey did you know, that marketed gutter cleaners use sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide to remove oxidization and tiger striping   :geek:  

It can be done with just sodium hydroxide in the SH  :notfair:  I've done it before  :angel:

Mind you lots of gutter cleaners can absolutely destroy landscaping also:mad:

You will not remove tiger stripes with hypochlorite and sodium hydroxide,..doesn't work,.you would have to scrub REALLY hard,....If it did work many members on these sites would be using it because it's cheap and readily available.  You may get dirty gutters cleaner,..but they won't be clean as they can be. If you've never used a proper gutter cleaner,..then you're only getting them cleaner and you don't know what clean is.

Potassium Hydroxide does work,.and is what's in Bob's F-13.  Many marketed gutter cleaners are Butyl based,..and work the best in my opinion.

*Gutter cleaning chemicals don't destroy landscaping,..it's the nitwits using it,...I've done about a million miles of gutters and never killed the landscaping.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Yes,..my limited number of posts on this forum shows how much of a novice I am. I just hope someday I can figure this washing game out. 

Jeff

Rick and Rich,.if you're interested in learning from some of the best house washing contractors visit propowerwash.com.    

As even Chris Tucker would admit, this site is  dedicated more for roof cleaners,..even the old RCIA roof cleaning board had limited house washing information.

Over there you will learn better techniques and products for house washing, concrete cleaning, deck cleaning etc...

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

At APT, Arm and Hammer with 'Oxy Clean' (yea, right..... There is virtually NO sodium percarbonate in it)  is like FRANKS HOT SAUCE.  We put that sh%$ in everything  :-)  I just snapped this pic of my messy store room. 

There are many more important things to discuss, but to each his own.

WP_20150531_002(1).jpg

At APT, Arm and Hammer with 'Oxy Clean' (yea, right..... There is virtually NO sodium percarbonate in it)  is like FRANKS HOT SAUCE.  We put that sh%$ in everything  :-)  I just snapped this pic of my messy store room. 

There are many more important things to discuss, but to each his own.

But it makes for some lively and interesting reading!

TSP is a phosphate, and it is also a well known nitrogen fertilizer!

I have thought exactly the same thing, why clean a roof using TSP, when you may be fertilizing the Algae, maybe causing it to grow back on the roof even faster.

But, that's not the case. The SH kills the algae, and all the TSP is long gone, by the time the new algae grows back.

I am sort of a "tree hugger" type, and I agree the widespread of phosphates has and will cause algae blooms that will choke the lakes and streams.

However, the occasional use of TSP by a roof cleaner here and there will only result in a cleaner roof.

TSP is not absolutely essential to clean a roof, other surfactants/soaps may be used.

In fact, all that is really needed to clean a roof is water and SH alone!

However, the addition of a surfactant/soap and or TSP makes for a better looking final product.

TSP is almost w/o equal as far as a cleaning additive for a roof cleaning mix goes.

Yes, it is a bitch to use, yes, there are environmental concerns, blah blah blah.

But when I want the best looking roof cleaning I can give a customer, guess what I reach for ?

TSP

​it been a while since you guys posted this but while I was reading through it I was wonder why you say its a bitch to use..??

Because it's a pain to mix.  If you want a good amount of it in your mix it can cause clumps and clog your system, especially if you are bottom drawing.  On top of that it's more time consuming and costs more money for really nothing a customers going to notice.

TSP also etches glass.  IF you clean a roof with skylites and your using the correct amount of tsp to actually do work, it will etch the glass

Edited by Richard Frisson