FPCS

Cleaning a metal roof?

We have been asked to give prices on a couple of metal roofs.  (Residential)

One customer said that a local company, one of the most popular roof cleaners here in my town, said that they do not clean metal roofs.  Does this guy know something we don't, and is avoiding issues that metal roofs present that shingle/tile do not?

So what ratios and mixes are you guys using on metal roofs?  Should I be worried about fading a colored metal roof with a typical roof mix?

Let's get some more info on this forum!

We have been asked to give prices on a couple of metal roofs.  (Residential)

One customer said that a local company, one of the most popular roof cleaners here in my town, said that they do not clean metal roofs.  Does this guy know something we don't, and is avoiding issues that metal roofs present that shingle/tile do not?

So what ratios and mixes are you guys using on metal roofs?  Should I be worried about fading a colored metal roof with a typical roof mix?

Let's get some more info on this forum!

Well .... Myself and my company have been in business cleaning roofs here in the Tampa Florida area for nearly 20 years.

In the time, we have done in excess of 20,000 tile, shingle, and yes,  metal roofs.

I don't know of ANY Metal Roofs we have ever ruined, or rusted.

BUT, a good friend/local competitor just called me, and asked me what to do about all the large "black spots" that appeared all over the 20,000 sf ft or a warehouse metal roof they just cleaned.

I told him he had better have Insurance!

Instead of calling me to ASK what to do, they made a 60 to 70% SH to water metal roof cleaning mix with Gain.

Then, when they saw all the black spots, hit them with straight chemical!

It was too late, the damage has been done, the Metal Roof is ruined!

Guys, always use a weak shingle mix on a metal roof, and NEVER any soaps (it makes the roof too slippery, and you will go surfing to your death)!

One "secret" is to use some Sodium Metasilicate in your metal roof cleaning mix!

5 Reasons to Choose Sodium Silicate as Your Corrosion Inhibitor
  • It Works Sodium silicate is a proven corrosion inhibitor, effective on a variety of metals, including lead, zinc and copper. Since first being used in 1921 to control lead in English drinking water, sodium silicate remains the time-tested solution to corrosion inhibition.
  • It Works - Two Ways Sodium silicate reacts with metal surfaces to form a protective barrier against corrosion. It also increases water pH, another important corrosion control mechanism.
  • It Works - Safely Just add sodium silicate to your water distribution system. It's safe. And it's easy to handle, store, and apply.
  • It Works - EasilyUse sodium silicate as a corrosion inhibitor, and you won't need to think about other treatments. Sodium silicates contribute no zinc or phosphorous to drinking water.
  • It Works - Effectively Sodium silicate is the simple, natural way to inhibit corrosion. Many public utility systems in the United States and Canada are using this environmentally safe, readily soluble liquid.
PARTNER ORGANIZATIONS
  • gtaa.png
  • affiliate2.jpg
  • cklandlord.png
  • acmo.png
  • cci.png
  • ches.jpg

Usually takes more than chems to clean. If oxidized manual labor is involved by means of brushing. Walking on them wet is dangerous. People usually wont pay what it's worth.

Damn Chris you need to start a roof cleaning school for all of us.  This information is really helpful.  I manage to clean metal roofs off the ladder... because without a surfactant all that SH goes to waste running off so quickly...  where do you buy sodium metasilicate raw?

Damn Chris you need to start a roof cleaning school for all of us.  This information is really helpful.  I manage to clean metal roofs off the ladder... because without a surfactant all that SH goes to waste running off so quickly...  where do you buy sodium metasilicate raw?

We would attend that school !! Got my vote for  "Apple Roof Cleaning Educational Class"  .

Florida Chemical Supply on Chelsea Street in Tampa sells and ships it!

Usually takes more than chems to clean. If oxidized manual labor is involved by means of brushing. Walking on them wet is dangerous. People usually wont pay what it's worth.

Very Very True Andy!  We never touch an already oxidized metal roof. And, we charge at least double to clean them too! Most metal roofs we clean are the ones on houses that are shiny colored metal. 

These clean right up, and easily too, just got to take care not to slip and fall off the roof! 

A weak shingle mixture with about a 4 ounce  cup of sodium metasilicate per every 5 gallons of mix is what we have been using for years, followed up by an immediate and very thorough rinse, as soon as you are finished.

Chris signed me up for the inaugural school, I'm game, I think everybody's right other folks are listening to the wrong people thanks for all the info.

I have a good question on metal roofs. I will be looking at a large home with a very steep roof to clean(asphalt shingles) and siding clean. The only thing is, the asphalt shingle roof dumps directly onto a metal roof. So my mix will run onto the metal roof a little when I spray and a lot when I rinse. My thoughts are to continuously spray the metal roof with water (drilled well at the home) or tarp the metal roof. Only thing about tarping is I dont know how big that metal roof is until I go and look at it.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ReNew Roof & Exterior cleaning

I have a good question on metal roofs. I will be looking at a large home with a very steep roof to clean(asphalt shingles) and siding clean. The only thing is, the asphalt shingle roof dumps directly onto a metal roof. So my mix will run onto the metal roof a little when I spray and a lot when I rinse. My thoughts are to continuously spray the metal roof with water (drilled well at the home) or tarp the metal roof. Only thing about tarping is I dont know how big that metal roof is until I go and look at it.

Any thoughts?

Spraying it with water constantly seems like the best idea

Thanks Chris. Seems to make the most sense to me.

I had a roof cleaning friend once upon a time, who sold metal roof cleaning this way. He offered his customers a choice of whether they wanted their metal roofs neutralized, or just rinsed, w/o any neutralization.