Roof Cleaning chemicals explained

January 14, 2013 By Kleen llc

There are many roof cleaning companies claiming to use biodegradable, or Eco-friendly, All Natural, Non-toxic, and of course, “Organic products.  What does all this mean, and is it any better than the solutions used by the best RCIA certified roof cleaners ? The thing about the RCIA roof cleaners is that it is widely known what Is used. It is not hidden behind words like, non-toxic, Eco-friendly, or the big on, environmentally safe. Companies claiming all this do not let it be known what they are using.

Let’s discuss what some of these terms mean.

Biodegradable. Sounds great doesn’t it?  The claim is often associated with environmentally friendly products. What exactly does this mean? I would define it as being able to be broken down by natural processes into more basic components. By this definition, most chemicals are biodegradable, the only difference would be the amount of time it takes to break down. Even nuclear waste is biodegradable. This claim about cleaners really does not mean much.

Won’t Harm the Environment. What does this even mean ? Lead is said to harm the environment by some, but it is naturally occurring in our world. By some standards of this statement  it could be said about lead.  Then we need to know if the company making this statement is talking about the cleaners they are using won’t harm the environment, or is it the bottle it came in, or the way it was manufactured. There are many chemicals that will not harm our environment but that does not mean they are good for you. Poison Ivy will not harm the environment, but it will harm you. What about the venom in a rattlesnake?  This claim is a good thing to strive for, but do the companies claiming it have the information to back it up ?

All Natural. This is the best.  This is not a legal or regulated term so it can be used for anything. Most times it is used to describe a cleaner that is manufactured from plants. But, if it is manufactured, is it natural, and is it good for us?  Cocaine is from a plant. Did you know five of the seven most deadly known compounds occur in nature. “All Naturalâ€. This statement does not describe, or tell us anything about the product.

What does all this mean?  Terms like these really have no merit. The important thing to consider is; does the company you are talking with disclose what they use, or do they cover it up by saying some of the terms above?  It is widely known what RCIA certified roof cleaners use to clean with. You can find it on the internet, and we will always tell our customers what we use. With some of the best roof cleaners in the country, the RCIA is always researching the best way, and the best chemicals to do the job.

Roof Cleaning Companies here in Tampa Florida play games too Dave, with chemical terminology! 

LOL, some use Sodium Hydroxide (LYE) and call it environmentally friendly and Biodegradable!

Some offer 5 year roof cleaning warranties that are pro rated, off the original price.

They will write up a roof cleaning for 800.00, then give a 400.00 discount.

Then, when the roof gets dirty again in years 3 to years 5, they will clean it again for 1/2 the non discounted price!

They call this a 5 year roof cleaning warranty, when in reality it is little more then a service contract Dave, offering to re clean the roof "under warranty" for the same 400.00 they originally charged!

They use these questionable sales tactics to try and steal work from myself, and other honest roof cleaning companies here in the Tampa area.

Guest A to Z Roof Cleaning

I am always honest about what and how I clean my customers roofs. Why would I lie when it's the only viable option? I have never had an issue outside of an excellent cleaning product trying to clean other things in the process!

Yes, I have seen a few of those warranties in all different kinds of service industries. They always amaze me. 

LOL,, we call them Taillight Warranties! When you see their taillights, there goes your warranty!

The 5 yr warranty is called customer retention. It is not stealing customers from anybody becuase they are already my customer and i want to keep them. That is called business. You must find ways to grow and keep your customers coming back just like walmart and any other store they keep you coming back.

Good advice Mike ! 

Of course, we have a lot more competition here in Florida, since roof cleaning is a way of life for many of our customers.

There are a lot of dirty things some scumbags will do to steal business. 

Many will come in at a lower price, AND offer a 5 year warranty here in Tampa!

They steal some business, and go out of business when the warranties come due!

You can NOT give a 5 year warranty here in Florida, and be the same price as the competitors.

Shingle Roofs are done here all the time for 250 to 350 dollars. 1/2 of 350 is only 175.00! No one can afford to send an insured crew clear across Tampa Bay for 175.00!

Back when it was JUST Mallard and us here in Tampa, we were getting 5 to 600.00 for the same shingle roofs we clean now for 300.00 !

1/2 of 600.00 is 300.00, and that is 1/2 price from years 3 to 5 (when they get dirty)

Actually, I have seen shingle roofs get black down here in only 2 years Mike, and you know what that means!

Be glad you live up north!

Pros and cons Chris, less money but you have all year basically to clean.

We have less time and less customers who know about this service.

Pros and cons Chris, less money but you have all year basically to clean.

We have less time and less customers who know about this service.

Zack is right, a short season up here is a draw back, but not sure if i would trade it for the heat of Florida in the summer or a roof cleaner on every corner.

What we need is a happy medium!

You guys up North will be faced with everyone  cleaning roofs one day, just like we are. But neither of you need worry.

You both do great non pressure roof cleaning for a fair price. You will always have lots of work!

You guys up North will be faced with everyone  cleaning roofs one day, just like we are. But neither of you need worry.

You both do great non pressure roof cleaning for a fair price. You will always have lots of work!

Unless the earth tilts on it's axis and gives the north a 12 month roof cleaning season.....it ain't never going to be Florida.

This forum started out with chemical terms and but got side tracked on warranties...LOL. Back to the subject of chemical terms, the companies selling the chemical products will spin their message any way they have to in order to appeal to the customer. Just like our politicians! Spin spin spin...

This forum started out with chemical terms and but got side tracked on warranties...LOL. Back to the subject of chemical terms, the companies selling the chemical products will spin their message any way they have to in order to appeal to the customer. Just like our politicians! Spin spin spin...

Some Snake Oil Salesmen will try to convince you that you need their stuff to clean a roof or protect the plants!

Good advice Mike ! 

Of course, we have a lot more competition here in Florida, since roof cleaning is a way of life for many of our customers.

You can NOT give a 5 year warranty here in Florida, and be the same price as the competitors.

Shingle Roofs are done here all the time for 250 to 350 dollars. 1/2 of 350 is only 175.00! No one can afford to send an insured crew clear across Tampa Bay for 175.00!

Back when it was JUST Mallard and us here in Tampa, we were getting 5 to 600.00 for the same shingle roofs we clean now for 300.00 !

1/2 of 600.00 is 300.00, and that is 1/2 price from years 3 to 5 (when they get dirty)

Actually, I have seen shingle roofs get black down here in only 2 years Mike, and you know what that means!

It started up north last year....when roof cleaning first started up here we were getting 5-600 a roof. now those same roofs are going for around 3-350 and there are so many low ballers out there. its got so competitive that people are bashing the bleach part and scaring the customers into some biodegradable product. bleach is bad for roof. bleach kills plants, bleach will change the color of your shingles.Blah Blah Blah.... i am trying very hard not to budge on the the price and keep it where it should be but these guys up here....they are insane in what they are charging. last year a roof i came low on at the end of the season just to keep guys working cause we were running on fumes work wise..., so the roof should have been around 1200-1300 had alot of moss and lichen as well as streaks. anyway, i came in at 795...just enough for the guys to work,pay for chemicals and put 125 in my pocket...i walk to front door with estimate saying to myself...ok i got this one....hoomeowner says...sorry your $200 more than the other guy (they always tell you the company's name....well most times)

instead of class on how to do this or how to do that...how about a class on pricing before some of you guys graduate and come into the roof cleaning world.....there will always be low ballers out there, especially with the economy and what it is but seriously guys.....FIX YOUR PRICING

Bigragu are you talking about someone or generalizing this association? Most in our org charge the going rates for their areas or more. Maybe you should fine tune your operation so you can compete with the other companies.

It started up north last year....when roof cleaning first started up here we were getting 5-600 a roof. now those same roofs are going for around 3-350 and there are so many low ballers out there. its got so competitive that people are bashing the bleach part and scaring the customers into some biodegradable product. bleach is bad for roof. bleach kills plants, bleach will change the color of your shingles.Blah Blah Blah.... i am trying very hard not to budge on the the price and keep it where it should be but these guys up here....they are insane in what they are charging. last year a roof i came low on at the end of the season just to keep guys working cause we were running on fumes work wise..., so the roof should have been around 1200-1300 had alot of moss and lichen as well as streaks. anyway, i came in at 795...just enough for the guys to work,pay for chemicals and put 125 in my pocket...i walk to front door with estimate saying to myself...ok i got this one....hoomeowner says...sorry your $200 more than the other guy (they always tell you the company's name....well most times)

instead of class on how to do this or how to do that...how about a class on pricing before some of you guys graduate and come into the roof cleaning world.....there will always be low ballers out there, especially with the economy and what it is but seriously guys.....FIX YOUR PRICING

Not sure were your from and were up North you say that you are, but I will assure you my prices are not any where near that cheep. Whwre are you located.

Long Island is the area im refering to. the new roof cleaners are destroying the pricing. again how about a class on what pricing should be. Noone should do a roof (black streaks for less than 350) guys are doing 5-600 dollar roofs for 350 or a little less than that sometimes......adjust my buisness for that huh? i could charge 350 for a 600 dollar roof if i didnt have ins labor and all the nessessitites a business is supposed to have.....im finding most homeowners havent been asking as much for that stuff....

You could try to reach out to them yourself. Besides that you are just going to have to inform your customers of the benefits you have over these other companies. Whether it be insurance, comp, experience or whatever else.

Good advice Mike ! 

It's crazy what some people will do to steal a job! I've recently had a customer call me to tell me that a Hispanic man is in the neighborhood doing roofs for $50.00. $50.00?!!! Now, you, me, and everyone else KNOWS these people do not have insurance to even be on the damned roof-What the hey!!!

You could try to reach out to them yourself. Besides that you are just going to have to inform your customers of the benefits you have over these other companies. Whether it be insurance, comp, experience or whatever else.

I have to agree with you on standing out in the crowd of "clowns" so to speak. Experience is what sells in our neighborhood. If you don't know what the hell you are doing then, by golly God, stay off the roofs!

n

Honesty has always been the best policy.

My father taught me that saying early on. He said that if it doesn't need done then, you should tell them it doesn't. If it does, then they should get a couple of quotes to look at before they decide to hire. I figure if they choose the one that lowballs, then they will be calling me next to fix it! You get what you pay for.

I have to agree with you on standing out in the crowd of "clowns" so to speak. Experience is what sells in our neighborhood. If you don't know what the hell you are doing then, by golly God, stay off the roofs!

You can actually loose non pressure roof cleaning jobs, by being too cheap! High End Customers, the ones with the big roofs, will be scared away if your price is too low!

You can actually loose non pressure roof cleaning jobs, by being too cheap! High End Customers, the ones with the big roofs, will be scared away if your price is too low!

I have to agree with you there, plus I can't afford to lowball just to get the job. There are so many "Fly by Knights" out there trying to get on to people's roofs for less than a $100.00! You, me, and everyone else knows they can't possibly be out there with proper knowledge and insurance at that price-homeowners be ware!