crappiecrazed

Got my first roof under my belt.

Got my first one done yesterday.  As long as plants don't die and grass is good it will be a success...............  Got my fingers crossed!!!

I watered and watered and watered some more!!!!!!  After bagging down spouts I "rebagged" them with new bags and flushed them with my gutter cane.   then let gutter can rinse gutters for about 1/2 hour unbagged...............  This was only 1 down spout for the whole front of the house.........  Let me know if this sounds right to you guys.  Thanks for everyones help so far!!!

post-1905-0-18330700-1374672362_thumb.jp

post-1905-0-38875600-1374672435_thumb.jp

post-1905-0-23277500-1374672483_thumb.jp

post-1905-0-48839600-1374672533_thumb.jp

post-1905-0-21925800-1374672595_thumb.jp

Oh we watered like crazy!!  So I went back today to check and make sure all plants are in good shape and grass.  All looked fantastic but how fast will dieing plants show there ugly face.  a day?  a week?...................  Its only been three days but with this being my first place Ive been really keeping a super good eye on it and everything seems to be good so far....

By the way we did another roof yesterday and guess what???  I was in such a hurry to get started I forgot my before pic!!!!  I was mad at myself because this was a stone grey colored shingle roof that was TERRIBLE!!!!  Other than the brown haze it was an amazing difference!!!!!

And one other thing while im talking so much.  I called the insurance agency that everyone said to call Joe Walters.  They were super friendly and helpful.  I decided to just out of curiousity to see what my agent local that has all my other stuff would quote.  Even though I think Joe Walthers price was very acceptable my local agent was able to add it to my existing policy for my landscaping business and it was $168 bucks per year on top of my premium.  I had them go into detail what that covered and they pretty much covered it all.  I wasn't allowed to be above 3 stories, no cleaning of water towers and handful of other things.  I explained what my fears were when getting into this business with killing plants and grass and he stated that I was covered no problems or questions asked if that came up.  So score for me on that one! 

Well done Robin.,  I'm sure that homeowner is very pleased

Thanks everyone!  Ted, you bet they were pleased!  I got a $50 tip on my first roof!!!!!!  They made me take it but I mow for these folks to and there place is 50 bucks per mow so they will be getting a feebie sometime!!! 

You can never water to much. as you get more roofs under your belt you will get the feel for how much water you need to run. I never flush the gutters for that long anymore. I used to when I started. How long I water and flush gutters depends on what the forecast is for the next few days after a job.

What did you price the job at?

$430 bucks north side only........................  but that included cleaning the gutter on the front of the house out.  It was a mess with granule loss.  Customer met me at door with $480...  Long time landscape/lawncare customers of mine.  Good ppl.....

The amount I charge sound reasonable to you guys??  I made good money but am very curious what a home with just one side needing work would bring for you folks??  am I close?

You can never water to much. as you get more roofs under your belt you will get the feel for how much water you need to run. I never flush the gutters for that long anymore. I used to when I started. How long I water and flush gutters depends on what the forecast is for the next few days after a job.

That's kinda what I figured is you almost have to screw up and not water enough to learn but for now imuh water like the dickens!!!!!  LOL 

Just for chitz and giggles I sprayed some bushes around my house that im planning on pulling out soon just to see what it would do.  its crazy how some of them burned up like crazy but others it didn't even phase in the least........  I also sprayed a section of grass and a section of my fence row.........  Hey im learnin what can I say!!!!!  LOL

I think 430 for the front of that house was a good price...but what would you have charged for the entire house?    Exp. on your own stuff is the way to go...I like your style!

Honestly, probably not to much more.  I figure 600 bucks BUT this home is also FOR SALE and the home owner was being beat up by potential buyers that they would have to "replace" the roof soon so they were dinging him pretty good on offers.  would I have done this place cheaper for this side?  Yep, I prolly would have but I tend to be pretty good at knowing a potential customers "vibe"........  If I would have told him 750 for that front side he would have paid it.  That's what I mean though, If I would have approached someone about cleaning this roof had they not called me I would have knocked it down a bit id say. 

I know you guys prolly think im crazy for this but Im having fun with this!!!!  Lol, I just needed a change in pace from bouncing around on a zero turn 40 hours per week!!!!!! 

Art, thanks for the heads up on the maples!!!!  That's the kinda info a rookie needs to know!!!!

Nice job Robin. I was so nervous on my first job but everything turned out great. The more roofs you get under your belt the more confident you become. But don't try to cut corners with the watering!!! You'll not only burn the landscaping but you'll burn your reputation and wallet. I conducted an experiment before I cleaned my first roof. I sprayed solution on several test spots of grass where some spots where first watered and others weren't. And no it wasn't a homeowners lawn! The effects were obvious after a few days. This helped me to see first hand the consequences of not doing it properly.

Sodium thiosulfate neutralizes SH, but it's HEAVY in salts.  I believe you're thinking of gypsum, which neutralizes salt.  Far too many new companies underestimate the damage caused by salt, a byproduct of SH.

If the building has gutters, and you have the right equipment, mitigating damage from SH is the easy part.  It's the salt byproduct that will get you in trouble quickly..

Nice job on the roof. I cover all plants, water like hell, rinse lower portion of roof with no gutters, and flood all plant roots and gutters before leaving. 

You'll get better fast the first time you burn a plant, because you'll know exactly where you went wrong.

Nice job on the roof. I cover all plants, water like hell, rinse lower portion of roof with no gutters, and flood all plant roots and gutters before leaving. 

You'll get better fast the first time you burn a plant, because you'll know exactly where you went wrong.

​This is SO important, to flood all plant roots after rinsing. When you rinse right after you are done cleaning the roof, you are rinsing off fresh and live sodium hypochlorite, into the landscaping. It is oh so important for you to be sure to rinse this stuff down below the plant roots.