Interested to hear how everyone pays their employees to clean roofs. We pay our roof guy 50.00 a roof IF over 350.00, and the ground guy gets 25.00  a roof, no matter what!

I allow them to upsell driveways etc, and we split the money on that, after chemical costs.

How does this work out ? Do they wish to be paid by the hour, or are they making out better.  I like the idea, but wondering if that would even work out to minimum wage.

My roof guy/ spray tech gets $100.00 per day no matter what. Some days we get done early and some days are long and hard. Because we also do pressure washing his duties are not just limited to roofs. He also runs the surface cleaners for concrete a paver cleaning, does house washing and pool cages and decks etc... Any pt guys that we use get $50- $60 per day depending on how big the job is. If we do a big commercial job and everything runs smoothly and we get done within the projected time frame I usually include a small bonus. 

How does this work out ? Do they wish to be paid by the hour, or are they making out better.  I like the idea, but wondering if that would even work out to minimum wage.

Dave, my brother made 750.00 last week, and our ground guy kid made 350.00. 

I hate to fire the Kid, but he has shown zero interest in cleaning roofs! He is awesome with the Tarps, and plant watering, etc, etc.

But in a small busy company like ours, ALL Men must be cross trained. 

Some weeks, we are not all that busy, so they make less.

I pay very very good if they sell additional roof cleaning work in a neighborhood too. 

$10.00 per hr.  Minimum $50.00 in case I have to call someone for a 2 or 3 hr job.  30% of all upsells.  Monthly bonus if no re-do's or damage on any job they do.

This is a great thread, I usually am the roof guy.. But this year we are adding another truck.. But I try to find decent help and pay them 12 a hour for the groundwork, unless it is a short time period in which I will make it worth their while.. And when the roof cleaning is slow here in the summer with everyone busy at the beach I am able to supply him with landscaping jobs from my landscaping company.. But these are ways of paying guys that I had never really thought of

I like the idea of working at the shop if it's a short day.  Lots of times I've got some repairs and tweaks and I always clean the rig up and re stock it for the next job before I put it away.  I could use the help sometimes.

Guest A to Z Roof Cleaning

I pay whichever employee makes during our other half of the business which is construction. Some guys I pay $25 an hour and some get about $18. They are worth it, I hate always worrying if plants are being watered enough and wondering if I have enough slack on my hose. With these guys its never an issue and a plant has never been burnt.

I pay whichever employee makes during our other half of the business which is construction. Some guys I pay $25 an hour and some get about $18. They are worth it, I hate always worrying if plants are being watered enough and wondering if I have enough slack on my hose. With these guys its never an issue and a plant has never been burnt.

I hear you Zack! We pay our guys well too, because they do a great job. One lazy unhappy employee can cost us big money replacing plants  :thumbsu: 

Its always better to pay a guy a little more and get a better job.

Art, I know you did siding, at one time. Did you ever use canvassers to help you sell Aluminum or Vinyl siding ?

That is how Siding was sold back in Detroit, where I am originally from.

I think a roof cleaning company might be wise to contact people out canvassing neighborhoods Art, and offer a commission for any leads ?

I think I may have been too nice to my roof tech. He called last Thursday and said he got a part time job ( at the request of his better half ) and was going to be working for a lawn service 3 days a week and that he could still work Thursday and friday's for us.I basically told him that I can't run my business on 2 days a week and around his schedule so I let him go. Damn shame too. I really liked the guy and he was a great worker.  I already have a new one starting this week. Let's see how this goes. Next! 

Canvassing is great for any Home Service business. I don't think there would be alot of commission on roof cleaning. What I do as a owner is I knock on the door and explain my service. Then I hand them my card or flyer with a discount on it. This has been working out good because the homeowner only has one contractor in front of them. One contractor and one price, There's not a lot of price shopping this way.

Ok Art, you and I can knock doors with no problems. But some can not, or will not do that.  It is always best to knock doors, but using a canvasser can work too. No, we can't pay them a lot of commission on roof cleaning. But many like having another item to sell.

I had one Canvasser for  Home Improvements (remodeling) sell a lot of roofs for me . I paid him 10 percent of the gross, so on 500.00 roofs he made 50 dollars.  He was happy to have the additional income! He made me a lot of money, but had a serious Crack Cocaine problem, so guess where his money went.

Finally, I heard he sold some to a Cop, and was on his was to Prison. I never heard from him again.

Anytime you can hire canvassers on straight commission, you will never loose money. 

I start my ground men at $10/hr and roof men at $12/hr.  If we have a dead day, which is seldom except the Winter we clean, organize, paint the equipment and shop.  Seldom do they have less than a 40 hr week.  If they have fewer than 40 hrs a week then they have time to go shopping for a better job.

I think I may have been too nice to my roof tech. He called last Thursday and said he got a part time job ( at the request of his better half ) and was going to be working for a lawn service 3 days a week and that he could still work Thursday and friday's for us.I basically told him that I can't run my business on 2 days a week and around his schedule so I let him go. Damn shame too. I really liked the guy and he was a great worker.  I already have a new one starting this week. Let's see how this goes. Next! 

Poor Larry, you have all the bad luck when it comes to roof cleaners brother!

I hope all goes well Brother!

I start my ground men at $10/hr and roof men at $12/hr.  If we have a dead day, which is seldom except the Winter we clean, organize, paint the equipment and shop.  Seldom do they have less than a 40 hr week.  If they have fewer than 40 hrs a week then they have time to go shopping for a better job.

pretty much exactly what we do... has anyone every thought about having their employees sign a non compete clause? I actually had a guy this week as for a job.. and then asked to be a business partner OR to buy his own equipment and be a sub..... I would hate to have a employee work for a year, then go and open his own gig..... a Non compete clause would fix this problem... I mean hell.. they are learning the ratios and such.. especially with roofs.

Guest A to Z Roof Cleaning

A non compete would work if they were a legitimate business, but if they were just hacks under the radar it would be useless.

I used to worry about this but realize I should be able to outsell most competitors.

Competition isn't always a bad thing.

If they are good employees but just want to better themselves, don't take it personally.  In fact wish them well and tell them that if they need help you would be glad to help them.  I'll bet they will tell you the same.  I always try to remember where I came from and that I can't clea every roof.  The good ones will stay in the business and be good colleagues and the bad ones will just wither away. IMHO

This is a great thread, I usually am the roof guy.. But this year we are adding another truck.. But I try to find decent help and pay them 12 a hour for the groundwork, unless it is a short time period in which I will make it worth their while.. And when the roof cleaning is slow here in the summer with everyone busy at the beach I am able to supply him with landscaping jobs from my landscaping company.. But these are ways of paying guys that I had never really thought of

Damn Dude, is there anything you don't do?? Roofs, Real Estate and Lawns.. You trying to monopolize the beach or what?? :) 

Here in MD my Techs get 28-32 % of invoice after taking out for the ground guys. Ground guys get 9-11 bucks an hour and all are Cross Trained to do roofs, houses, decks concrete and HVAC cooling towers.. 

Here in MD my Techs get 28-32 % of invoice after taking out for the ground guys. Ground guys get 9-11 bucks an hour and all are Cross Trained to do roofs, houses, decks concrete and HVAC cooling towers.. 

28-32%... You are one generous boss!

I know, but that keeps good people around. John has been with me for almost twenty years and Jorge seventeen. Anything they up-sell we split 50/50, I try and take away the temptation.. Something my first wife should have done!