Clean Exterior

NEW 1" PUMP AND IM NOT IMPRESSED! HELP

Ok I finally made the change from 12v to air and I am not impressed at all but hopefully some of you air pump pros can tell me i'm doing something wrong. This is what I got a 18 or 19 or 20 CFM Eaton wheelbarrow compressor (I've heard all different CFM's) running at 90 psi hooked up to a 1" Graco Husky 1050 with all suctions lines being 1-1/2" and the output line being 1" going to my manifoldness gorilla real that then connects to my 5/8 kuri Tec hose with a 3/4" banjo valve and I've tried both the master nozzle and a 4 bang nozzle with 0020. I use to shoot 45 ft with my 12v electric and now I shoot 40-45 ft with this expensive air system! What am I doing wrong?

Ok I finally made the change from 12v to air and I am not impressed at all but hopefully some of you air pump pros can tell me i'm doing something wrong. This is what I got a 18 or 19 or 20 CFM Eaton wheelbarrow compressor (I've heard all different CFM's) running at 90 psi hooked up to a 1" Graco Husky 1050 with all suctions lines being 1-1/2" and the output line being 1" going to my manifoldness gorilla real that then connects to my 5/8 kuri Tec hose with a 3/4" banjo valve and I've tried both the master nozzle and a 4 bang nozzle with 0020. I use to shoot 45 ft with my 12v electric and now I shoot 40-45 ft with this expensive air system! What am I doing wrong?

Hey man how you have it set up is PERFECT IMO. That's how we run them on our trucks.  What I will say is 3/4 hose you will notice a small difference but its not worth dragging it around for the small benefit. Here is my suggestions and keep it simple. 

1. What size air line are you running should be 1/2

2. With your nozzle try different nozzles and see what you like and never use a gun always a 3/4 ball valve 

3. On the Eaton Compressor your perfect running it at 90 PSI you can try it at 100 I forget the specs for the MAX PSI but I think we run ours at 100. WIth that being said without confusing you. The PSI You run is different than the tank PSI build up. For example your tank may build up 120 PSI then it reduces down to 90 PSI which it should. However the max PSI that tank can build up to is prob 150-170 ( 170 is the max for our big Eaton compressor) if you adjust that you will get more air rushing through your lines for more air flow your tank will drain quicker but you will get bigger burst. This is how air duct cleaning companies run their tanks. Talk to Tod at Eaton and he can explain to you how to do it and confirm what I am telling you so you dont think I am just making it up :) 

4. How much hose are you running? Sometimes 300 Ft of hose coiled on a reel with slow down your flow and distance because of how far it has to travel. For example if you had 100 Ft of hose and tried it vs 300 ft of hose you would notice a big difference.

Hope that helps man just a few ideas before you have to dig into some bigger issues. But that's just my thoughts on your issues since we run  the same set up on 1 of our trucks and don't have any issues. Please feel free to call me if you need help ill point you in the right direction. Also 3/4 hose is overkill and if someone says get a way bigger compressor I dont agree we have a really large compressor and the small Eaton one and you would be surprised and how little of a difference it made.

Good luck man!

Hey man how you have it set up is PERFECT IMO. That's how we run them on our trucks.  What I will say is 3/4 hose you will notice a small difference but its not worth dragging it around for the small benefit. Here is my suggestions and keep it simple. 

1. What size air line are you running should be 1/2

2. With your nozzle try different nozzles and see what you like and never use a gun always a 3/4 ball valve 

3. On the Eaton Compressor your perfect running it at 90 PSI you can try it at 100 I forget the specs for the MAX PSI but I think we run ours at 100. WIth that being said without confusing you. The PSI You run is different than the tank PSI build up. For example your tank may build up 120 PSI then it reduces down to 90 PSI which it should. However the max PSI that tank can build up to is prob 150-170 ( 170 is the max for our big Eaton compressor) if you adjust that you will get more air rushing through your lines for more air flow your tank will drain quicker but you will get bigger burst. This is how air duct cleaning companies run their tanks. Talk to Tod at Eaton and he can explain to you how to do it and confirm what I am telling you so you dont think I am just making it up :) 

4. How much hose are you running? Sometimes 300 Ft of hose coiled on a reel with slow down your flow and distance because of how far it has to travel. For example if you had 100 Ft of hose and tried it vs 300 ft of hose you would notice a big difference.

Hope that helps man just a few ideas before you have to dig into some bigger issues. But that's just my thoughts on your issues since we run  the same set up on 1 of our trucks and don't have any issues. Please feel free to call me if you need help ill point you in the right direction. Also 3/4 hose is overkill and if someone says get a way bigger compressor I dont agree we have a really large compressor and the small Eaton one and you would be surprised and how little of a difference it made.

Good luck man!

Thanks! I'm gonna try those ideas you mentioned. I am running a 1/2" air line that goes into a tsunami water separator and then a regulator which i am going to take off to make sure thats not restricting me. I have about 225 ft of 5/8" hose, I guess I could cut it in half and use quick connectors when more is needed but I really thought this was gonna be a big difference. My old 12v system had 1/2" hose and 200 ft and shot farther so something has to be wrong. Thanks for the response. I'll let you know how I make out. 

I have 1" Aro pump, big HF ac, 1/2" air hose, 1" outlet hose to my 5/8" spray hose, no reel, 1" suction lines, and use a 3/4" ball valve and pipe gun and shoot 75' all day long. 

Make sure you have your filter regulator hooked up with the flow going the right direction. Eliminate as many 3 way ball valves and 90 degree elbows as possible . Unreel all of your hose when you need distance and lay it out in big loops with no sharp bends or coils. EVERYTHING can restrict flow so keep it simple. And the shorter your hose the farther it will shoot. Period. 

Try this to make sure pump setup is working correctly. Using just your 1" supply hose let your ac buildup to max pressure then start pumping and see how much mix or water it will pump in 30" and reply to this message. I will check mine Thursday and we can compare. If you use mix be careful! It should come out hot and heavy. 

Try a bigger nozzle. You may be putting too much head pressure on it with a dinky little 020 nozzle and actually limiting the flow. Put an 040 or an 060 zero degree. If you take the nozzle out and you get nearly the same distance running with just an open quick connect...bingo. That much restriction cranks the head pressure way up and drops the output GPM and you don't have enough air to run high head pressures on a 1050. You can run an 020 but not necessarily for distance. 

The Husky 1050 isn't my favorite pump which i why I never sold any. They soak up a TON of air. Unlike the earlier 1040, the 1050 is a DEFU pump made in China. If you look at the curve on them, not the best curve in the world. They like a LOT of air. 

The 5/8" hose...does it have 1/2" or 3/4" end fittings...you want 3/4". 

If you want a 1" pump that will retain the output with that CFM at high head pressures then nothing is better than the 1" Price. 

Ok so I changed a couple things. I got rid of the regulator I had installed near the pump. My original thought was i could just change the pressure if needed from the back instead of going around to the front of the van to the air compressor but that is now gone and I think it was restricting a bit of air flow. I also played around with my air compressor a bit to make sure i was getting the 90-100 psi. I ordered some bigger nozzles 040 and 060 as when i did remove the 4 bang nozzle from the quick connect i was getting just about the same distance as with a 020 but the nozzles are not in yet. I tried a 030 that I had laying around and got a few more feet. I'm hoping with the 040 or 060 ill get to the distance I was hoping for. Thanks for all the import! Happy Easter!

Thanks for the update! (I hate when people say "I'll post my findings" and then the thread dies)

I'm really looking forward to hearing your findings.....I'll bet the 060 will do pretty well.

OK i got the 060 and it sure gives me more volume but I am only getting maybe 50 ft out of it. Its unfortunate that I can't get this to spray farther then my old 12v system. On another note I'm not super impressed with Eaton air compressors. They run fine but I had a few loose bolts on the frame when it was delivered and they told me I was able to install an electric starter as they wouldn't do it for me so I bought an electric starter kit and it turns out that eaton has the motor to close to the pump. In order to fit the actual starter on the honda motor I would need to slide the motor over on the frame about 4-5 inches and buy bigger belts for the drive which is doable but just not what I was told by the eaton tech. They also advertise 20 CFM and 19 CFM on their website so I asked the eaton tech what the true CFM was and he said 18 @ 90psi. Why the hell wouldn't they just advertise the one damn CFM. Anyway this whole air system conversion has been quite disappointing but now that its all over and done with I guess I won't need to worry about my 12v pump wearing out every few months and no more batteries to charge so.........

OK i got the 060 and it sure gives me more volume but I am only getting maybe 50 ft out of it. Its unfortunate that I can't get this to spray farther then my old 12v system. On another note I'm not super impressed with Eaton air compressors. They run fine but I had a few loose bolts on the frame when it was delivered and they told me I was able to install an electric starter as they wouldn't do it for me so I bought an electric starter kit and it turns out that eaton has the motor to close to the pump. In order to fit the actual starter on the honda motor I would need to slide the motor over on the frame about 4-5 inches and buy bigger belts for the drive which is doable but just not what I was told by the eaton tech. They also advertise 20 CFM and 19 CFM on their website so I asked the eaton tech what the true CFM was and he said 18 @ 90psi. Why the hell wouldn't they just advertise the one damn CFM. Anyway this whole air system conversion has been quite disappointing but now that its all over and done with I guess I won't need to worry about my 12v pump wearing out every few months and no more batteries to charge so.........

Try a shooter nozzle. That will give you a more laminar flow and will get you more distance. Honestly, you may get 50 ft out of an electric, but it won't be very effective at that distance. Thing is, your 1" pump isn't very efficient. So the amount of output it has is going to be limited by the CFM you purchased. That is endemic to that particular pump. If you had bought a Price Pump, you would be getting more distance, but the cost is higher.  That being said, as compared to 12V, the reliability is off the chart better. Plus...try putting a fine mist nozzle on there and pumping...you can't do that with an electric. You can spray with an 010 or 020 nozzle, saving material and reducing run off. Once you run Air for a while, you'll never go back.

As for the Eaton, I probably have 40 of them out in the field that I've recommended to guys and literally have had zero problems with the ones I run and have installed. I had one guy with a defective head and he had a new one from Eaton the next morning. You can always call Matt Cain, the president if you are having issues and my experience is that the few times there were issues, they had solutions nearly immediately. Try that with any other compressor company. 

Also, I'm assuming you are running a water Separator system. 

Edited by PeakOfPerfection

I strongly disagree the distance you get out of a price pump vs a husky vs an aro is so small its not funny. Ill post a video proving my point most of them shoot within 2 feet of one another. Tips are most likely your biggest issue as talked about before but there is NOTHING wrong with the pump you bought. Kevin I know you sell price pumps now but its not fair to bash every other pump just because you don't sell them and you only sell price. I understand wanting to make a sale but the husky is a fantastic pump so is ARO and price is a small company with a slightly different air setup it WILL NOT shoot 10 stories like you list on your website. If you talk to any distributor that sells both they will tell you buy husky over a price pump! Do your research talking to other people outside of vendors on this form that don't have a motive and get some unbiased answers. So to the guy that's having issues look at hose length and nozzle size but don't stress out man because you have a great pump and you just need to tweak a few things.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am trying different nozzles but still haven't gotten more then 50ft. I contacted eaton because my compressor actually broke last Saturday on the job and i had to go out and rent one. It took a couple days to get in touch with the right person but they were helpful and are sending me the part I need to get the machine back up and running although I am the one paying for it to be overnighted but its better then paying for the rental. If i purchase another compressor i may search for a local company that has a repair shop so I can go directly to them instead of dealing with the phone and shipping. 

I strongly disagree the distance you get out of a price pump vs a husky vs an aro is so small its not funny. Ill post a video proving my point most of them shoot within 2 feet of one another. Tips are most likely your biggest issue as talked about before but there is NOTHING wrong with the pump you bought. Kevin I know you sell price pumps now but its not fair to bash every other pump just because you don't sell them and you only sell price. I understand wanting to make a sale but the husky is a fantastic pump so is ARO and price is a small company with a slightly different air setup it WILL NOT shoot 10 stories like you list on your website. If you talk to any distributor that sells both they will tell you buy husky over a price pump! Do your research talking to other people outside of vendors on this form that don't have a motive and get some unbiased answers. So to the guy that's having issues look at hose length and nozzle size but don't stress out man because you have a great pump and you just need to tweak a few things.

If you bothered to READ the website, I never claim the Price will SHOOT 10 stories. No 1" pump will do that. What I say is that it will LIFT FLUID 10 Stories and it will do so with far less CFM than most other competing pumps. It is an alternative to our Flojet pumps which are great, but are limited in head pressure capability. Think that doesn't make any difference? My client who just cleaned a 10 story hospital in Kentucky and my client who cleans 15-20 story buildings in Vancouver will tend to disagree. 

The Price is more efficient with a low air supply than any other pump I've used and tested and the statement on the Husky 1050 comes from experience with that pump. It it not that it is a bad pump, it is just a pump that requires a lot of air to really wake up. That is real world experience. We tried it. On our truck and in our test rig and then and there decided it wasn't our favorite pump because it needed more air supply than most people had. Sold it to a guy who had a 30 CFM comp and he is perfectly happy with it. I've actually used them ALL on rigs. I've sprayed with the Husky (1040, 1050), ARO (Pro and Expert series), Wilden, Versamatic, Sandpiper, Yamada and Price. I consider the ARO to be a better pump than the Husky any day of the week, and the Price is beyond that in terms of build quality, longevity and efficiency. 

Kevin I am not trying to get in a pissing contest with you I am just saying we all know you sell price pumps but ive never really heard of them because they are a small company. When I called companies that have been selling price, husky and aro pumps every single one of them said they prefer the husky and aro over the price. Ive not used a price but on your website it says " With up to 50 GPM of flow and the ability to handle vertical head lifts of up to 250 ft. you can clean a 10 story building with a 20 CFM compressor. "  If you look at that sentence you have a period after you says it can handle vertical head lifts up to 250 ft. THEN it says YOU can clean a 10 story building with a 20cfm compressor. Now that may just be shitty wording or shady marketing strategies but I am no newbie and with a new guy from the forum gets funneled into your website and reads price pumps are the best and you can clean 10 stories I mean what are the chances that they interpret that the wrong way.