Fellow roof cleaning associates,

I am looking for your opinion. I met with a gentleman who is offering to act as an independent sales rep for my company. He is currently employed as an independent contractor working for a construction company as a sales rep. He is looking to supplement his income by promoting my company and finding and quoting prospective customers while he is out and about working on his day job. If he sees a dirty roof he will drop off a flyer with a quote. Or if he is quoting a remodeling job and the HO happens to have a dirty roof he will quote a roof restoration. I would pay him a commission on each job he brings me. He is asking for 20%. What are your thoughts about such an arrangement and what do you think would be a fair commission rate?

Dave,

I would have no problem giving that guy 20% if I were you.  If you can get on the same page so he knows how much to charge, I see no problem.  If he can add the 20% on to your normal price, that would be ideal.  I would give 10% if I had to do the estimate myself.

Guest A to Z Roof Cleaning

I'd love a salesman, I would also have him sign a non compete and 20 percent would probably work, depending on what you charge of course.

I would jump all over it.  I have put up a few ads looking for a sales rep with no luck.  Personally I would make him charge a little higher price than I would.  He is a sales person so he should be able to get it done and it would offset his commission a little bit.

Looking to add a canvasser/sales guy. The non compete is a good idea. I heard one guy hooked up with a tennis court guy for cleaning moss.

I approached a commercial contractor today - figured he'd get some leads from time to time.

Chris Haines