Curb Appeal Roof Cleaning

ARMA video on roof algae

Have you all seen this video on the ARMA home page?

I like that it says you can clean it and not to use subbing or high pressure but I don't like that they say it doesn't damage the shingles as many customers seem to clean their roofs in hope to prolong the life and I don't want to mislead them.

I like that it says you can clean it and not to use subbing or high pressure but I don't like that they say it doesn't damage the shingles as many customers seem to clean their roofs in hope to prolong the life and I don't want to mislead them.

The fact that algae does not damage the roof is actually a GREAT thing for roof cleaners. Think about it. Why waste money cleaning your roof when it's badly stained if the algae has already damaged it? I have cleaned some of the worst looking roofs imagineable and I have seen ZERO evidence of it being eaten or destroyed by the algae which is a good thing because once it's cleaned it's fine. Algae grows on gutters, siding, concrete and just about anything else that doesn't move. It doesn't eat those anymore than it eats shingles. IMO promoting roof cleaning to stop the damage from algae is misinformed and even unethical. Sell your roof cleaning primarily based on the undeniable truth: a dirty roof is ugly. That's all you need, especially the more expensive homes that are mostly roof anyway. 

The organisms that do damage the shingles are lichen and moss. Lichen literally roots into the shingles and moss holds moisture both of which cause damage. Often times both are present along with algae and eliminating them WILL extend the life of the roof. 

Also, don't be fooled by ARMA. They really don't want roofs to be cleaned, they want them replaced with expensive algae resistant shingles. They have traditionally tried to make it sound like roof cleaning can be done but unless done EXACTLY right probably won't work well, won't last long and could cause damage to the shingles. 

The black stains on a roof is an algae! Gloeocapsa Magma, and no, it alone won't damage the shingles. The granules are generally ceramic so, the algae won't damage them... The gloeocapsa magma helps create an environment for the lichen and Moss and that's what damages the roof. Telling customers that the black stains are damaging the roof is misleading! Informing them that the black algae will detract from their curb appeal and can create an environment for the lichen and Moss which will cause damage is the more proper way to explain what's going on.

Yes, the black algae can cause a roof to run hotter especially in the summer which may shorten the life span of a roof however, that would only be a slight amount and even so, it's speculation.... I know of no testing which could definitely prove or disprove the notion.

Mike

Well, I have a different story. I have been in business since 1989 here in SW Florida. I learned to chemically clean roofs in the mid to late 90's. Up until then, I had about 6-8 years of pressure washing roofs. I KNOW that Gloeocapsa magma is a species of cyanobacteria and Cyanobacteria are an ancient line of photosynthesizing bacteria, which photolyze water generating oxygen gas. Ancient cyanobacteria were ancestral to the chloroplasts of all plants on earth and it most certainly does deteriorate shingled roofs! <P>Back then, if I had a roof with heavy streaks of GP, as I pressure washed the roof, unquestionably, more granules came off in the heavier infested streaks, than from the black areas in general.</P><P>ARMA is also wrong about the fact that cleaning the roof chemically, can only lighten it. Mine come out like new! Of course, ARMA is suggesting bleach, like Chlorox, which, when compared to fresh sodium hypochlorite from a Florida pool store is, 1st only 6-8% when manufactured and by the time it goes from factory to factory warehouse to distributor warehouse to a grocery store and then sits on the store shelf a month, it may be 2% ??</P><P> Pool SH is 10.5 to 13% if fresh. Stick your finger in Chlorox and then in fresh pool chlorine and you will feel all the difference in the world! ARMA and a few roofing manufacturers, have the right idea, but the wrong sodium hypochlorite! That's why they only see a lightening of the black roofs, instead of a like new clean!

Of course, getting a like new, clean roof isn't the same for the ARMA - association for roofers--newly installed roof! $

Do I look like even in these short videos I'm just "lightening" these roofs?

We all know that after they dry, they will look even better! After a rain-basically like new!

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=DPJOfv6DNSg

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=M_5YLMSrQ2o

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=U1H1R4CD0f8

Do these roof photos look "Lightened to you? LOL

2 Jeffs 034.JPG

2 Jeffs 036.JPG

20017 Goldcup (4).jpg

Mix - 2015 005.jpg

Mix - 2015 032.jpg

Deep Creek 027.jpg

7308 Varley Cir 052.jpg

7308 Varley Cir 056.jpg

3055 Beach Rd 055.jpg

Beyond The Sea (1).jpg

Beyond The Sea (13).jpg

Roof Cleaning Picture.jpg

IMG_0064.JPG

1996 flat tile job.jpg

Cleaning Tile.jpg

Our ClenzOroof product is hydrogen peroxide based.  It works unbelievable and doesn't harm the roof or plants.. Due to the Corona virus we have converted most of our plant over to  Producing our Green Ox and Blue Ox product. ClenzOroof is still available. If interested please call 1-888-ClenzO2