Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Tinny

What would your dream trailer look like?

I'm in the process of designing a trailer.  I have to be able to fit it in my garage due to HOA restrictions.  I am thinking 12ft  tandem axle, flat deck trailer.  I have a local custom trailer builder who says he can build me anything I want.    Are there any must haves or things you would do different if you were building a trailer from scratch?  I  am thinking about things that can be custom made like ladder racks, hose reel mounting, space for advertising, etc.  Don't want to forget anything that can be welded in during the build process.  Thanks..

I'd put storage shelves along sides up kinda high not real big even 6-8 inches with little railing around to keep things in, could also have a couple of hose wall racks put up along the side up high as these are always needed for storage of water and extra air line, spray hoses, extension cords. Up front by the tongue you could make a place to mount the spare if you need it mounted on wall is more out of the way. Could make a small table top in front corner to be able to do paperwork, and storage area if you plan on a side door. Keep ladders on outside if you can as they take up a lot of room. Few tips as I'm laying out a trailer/van set-up now too. 

Good ideas, but its going to be an open trailer.  Would love an enclosed trailer for the billboard effect, but its going in the garage so the trailer height would be limited by garage door height. So far I have figured hose reels off of the passenger side and some kind of ladder rack that I can bolt some signage up to,  no side rails, and low deck height for accessibility.  Will be tandem axle with brakes on both axles. I can't have a work truck in my driveway, so I need to advertise on trailer.  I was able to get away with window perf on back window of truck, but that's it for advertising on my vehicle.   I guess most of the custom work will be done on the ladder rack.  I'm probably over thinking things, but don't want to miss any small details.  Thanks for the input.

IMG_1493.jpg

If you're going with flat deck trailer, make sure you have a place to carry some gallon jugs. Always need a little of one chemical or another. I would seriously consider putting my reels hanging from the ladder rack. Keeps them convenient and and out of the way. What all as far as equipment are you planning on putting on trailer? I'm on my 3rd version now of mine mainly because I keep adding equipment. So try to plan a place for it in advance.

I like the hanging of the reels from the ladder rack to free up some deck space.  I will probably have a box on tongue area to carry the loose items. I have a 12v twin pump set up with two 65 gal tanks and 200ft of hose that I have been running out of my truck bed.  It has been a great starter setup so far.  I just received my Proportioner and will be mounting that to side of the ladder rack.  Looking into custom colors so it grabs some attention and doesn't look like all the lawn trailers running around here.  I need to call Kevin soon about some hose reels.  I think I'll have enough room for a future air setup when the time comes.