What made you decide, or how did you get into the roof cleaning business ?  

Here is my story. I worked for a roofing company in Seattle, and we cleaned roofs w/o using pressure washing back then, by taking 5 gallon pails of the SH and water, and rolling it on the roof with a big stucco roller, attached to a wooden pole.

I moved back to Tampa in 1988, and moved in with my girlfriend at the time, who lived in a deed restricted subdivision. Some really rude pressure washer knocked on our door, and said he was cleaning all the roofs in the area. I asked him how he did it, and he said he used a power washer with no more pressure  then a garden hose. To make a long story short, we got in a heated argument, and I almost went to jail that day. I told him to leave my property, or else. He told me not to talk down to him, because he made well over 100 grand a year just cleaning roofs. 

I came back inside, all red faced because I was ready to fight this idiot, and my girlfriend asked me what happened. I told her, and she asked, can you clean a roof better then he could ?  I said I could, and I was between jobs at that time, so she asked me to clean our roof (unknown to me, she had got a roof cleaning letter).

Well, I got the stuff to clean our roof, and people saw me cleaning roofs w/o pressure, and before I knew it, I was in the non pressure roof cleaning business :)  I think I did nearly 200 roofs in our subdivision, and by hard work, and word of mouth, people sought me out. I was unlicensed, uninsured, and even had no business name ! But I always had a ground man, even back then. I attended both NA and AA Meetings, and there was always someone willing to work for cash money. 

I made ton of mistakes back then, and I vowed that once I mastered this roof cleaning  business, I would help others not make the same mistakes I did.  

So, this is my story about how I got into the roof cleaning business, how about you ? 

As some of you know, I retired from BellSouth tel. co. after 30 years of supervising 20+ employees in the construction dept. i also owned a 30 minute photo lab the last 20 years I was with BellSouth.  Approx. 12 years after retirement , digitial cameras came out and everybody gave up on film.so the photo lab business went to hell quickly.. After a very busy career, I found myself with nothing to do and became very bored.  I was out one day and noticed how dirty roofs were everywhere and I became curious what the stuff was that was growing on them. Searched the web and found out what it was and how to remove it safely  I found.and joined RCIA,took the certification test. I founded Qwik Roof Cleaners of Louisville Ky. The rest is history spanning almost 9 years of success. I am 71 years old and plan on doing this as long as my health remains. I feel like I have helped Chris build this association and look forward to building relationships with numerous new members.

Thanks everyone for giving me the opportunity to assist you in your endevours.

2010 During college I was working two jobs and was looking for a third. Prior to this I had done roof construction for 10 years. I came across an add on Craigslist that said "need roof cleaner". Never heard of it before but I was comfortable on roofs so I called. Started working for a company here in Fort Wayne for 4 years using Roof Gitters(pressure washing tool with wheels). After the first two weeks I knew I could do this myself and make a ton more than hourly pay. I did not have the funds or time to start my own business. So 4 years later I graduated college with a degree in physical therapy. Now I had the money and the time. I actually decided not to use any of my own money to start the business. So I put everything on a credit card with an intention to pay it off in 3 months before interest hit. Before I purchased any equipment I walked door to door for about 12hrs total and sold over $3,000 in jobs. Never worked in sales but I was so determined in selling, I made it work. After I got the jobs booked, I then went out and bought the equipment I needed. Last year was my first year. It went very well. I learned about softwash over the winter last year and found the RCIA. I am proud be a member of the RCIA while retaining a ton of helpful information. We are now softwash and getting a ton more jobs than last year at this time.

2010 During college I was working two jobs and was looking for a third. Prior to this I had done roof construction for 10 years. I came across an add on Craigslist that said "need roof cleaner". Never heard of it before but I was comfortable on roofs so I called. Started working for a company here in Fort Wayne for 4 years using Roof Gitters(pressure washing tool with wheels). After the first two weeks I knew I could do this myself and make a ton more than hourly pay. I did not have the funds or time to start my own business. So 4 years later I graduated college with a degree in physical therapy. Now I had the money and the time. I actually decided not to use any of my own money to start the business. So I put everything on a credit card with an intention to pay it off in 3 months before interest hit. Before I purchased any equipment I walked door to door for about 12hrs total and sold over $3,000 in jobs. Never worked in sales but I was so determined in selling, I made it work. After I got the jobs booked, I then went out and bought the equipment I needed. Last year was my first year. It went very well. I learned about softwash over the winter last year and found the RCIA. I am proud be a member of the RCIA while retaining a ton of helpful information. We are now softwash and getting a ton more jobs than last year at this time.

LOL, The Roof Gitter, an old school tool for roof pressure washing. Back in the old days, I would clean 3 roofs in a subdivision, and watch the poor guy using one of those be still there. 

Yea, I know right. Softwash is so much faster. Plus with the gitter, it does not get deep black algae off of most roofs. Just the light algae. I Love softwash.

Yes, our way is the best way, and has greatly expanded the roof cleaning business.