TBR Roof Cleaning WNY

Business Formation ???

This has been brought up to an extent but I didn't find answers to the extent I had hoped. 

?- I'm curious who went the LLC route and why , vs getting a DBA. 

? - has anyone experienced zoning issues with their county or city when using your home as your business base. 

I'm really wanting to do this all correctly from the start and I know there are a ton of you that started just like me. I have a burning desire to get up and running  and I know it is going to be a success in my area I just need pointed in the right direction. This forum is awesome and so full of great info from succesful entrepreneurs. A fortune cookie informed me that " The expert at anything was once the beginner " lol. Thanks for any responses in advance. 

An LLC protects YOU from being Sued. They can sue your company.  A DBA offers no protection. So If you have a DBA they can take everything you own. where as with an LLC they can only take your business assets.  NOTE that NOTHING is bullet proof with the way the legal system runs nowadays... 

Running out of your home is up to your local codes.  Call your zoning or code officer.  If you start out as long as you are neat and tidy and have little to no activity (customers/employees/trucks) mucking up the neighborhood then you may get away with it for a while.  But beware - it is always the nosey neighbor that has noting better to do that will call into the zoning board and complain. When that happens most likely you will get a letter telling you to stop doing whatever it is you are doing.  There is a chance that you could get the one hard ass in town who wants to flex his/her power and he/she could drag you into court.  

An LLC protects YOU from being Sued. They can sue your company.  A DBA offers no protection. So If you have a DBA they can take everything you own. where as with an LLC they can only take your business assets.  NOTE that NOTHING is bullet proof with the way the legal system runs nowadays... 

Running out of your home is up to your local codes.  Call your zoning or code officer.  If you start out as long as you are neat and tidy and have little to no activity (customers/employees/trucks) mucking up the neighborhood then you may get away with it for a while.  But beware - it is always the nosey neighbor that has noting better to do that will call into the zoning board and complain. When that happens most likely you will get a letter telling you to stop doing whatever it is you are doing.  There is a chance that you could get the one hard ass in town who wants to flex his/her power and he/she could drag you into court.  

Thanks for the reply Greg. I appreciate the input. Sounds like the LLC is def the route to take for my situation anyways. As for the zoning it looks like I'm all set with my township. I'm in a rural setting and have no close neighbors to irritate besides just passing traffic. Still working on getting everything in order business wise. Slow but steady I guess. Thanks again.