smittyshomeservices

"Never Clean Your Roof Again"

Can someone tell me what product is being used on the shingle and tile roofs that actually prevents the growth of algae, mold, and  mildew from growing? Does it work? Is it cost effective? Where can it be found? And, what marketing approach has worked with the HOA's-I do a lot of work in them. Thanks for any information on this product.

Guest A to Z Roof Cleaning

As far as I know there is nothing that will keep the algae at bay besides re cleaning the roof.

Can someone tell me what product is being used on the shingle and tile roofs that actually prevents the growth of algae, mold, and  mildew from growing? Does it work? Is it cost effective? Where can it be found? And, what marketing approach has worked with the HOA's-I do a lot of work in them. Thanks for any information on this product.

Things will only HELP, but not stop, algae from growing, here in Florida.

Tell me more of what you are trying to do

As far as I know there is nothing that will keep the algae at bay besides re cleaning the roof.

Yes there is, but eventually the rain will rinse it off. LOL, my Cousin, who also cleans roof, took some nylons we sewed together, filled them up with powdered chlorine, and strretched this over a section of roof. Every time it rained, the chlorine granules were activated. It worked really good, looked like shit, and finally the chlorine ate up the nylons!

I didn't think there was a product out there that would prevent it, merely slow it down. I had read on another website that someone was offering it, and was curious if any of you all knew, or heard of it. Guess not. It's just like offering mildew resistant paint-no such thing, merely words to get a sale!

Things will only HELP, but not stop, algae from growing, here in Florida.

Tell me more of what you are trying to do

Wasn't really trying to do anything except find out the truth on this 'so called' product being offered. I had never heard of such a product and being that you all have a wealth of information, you may have heard of it. Too good to be true!

I think they may be selling a maintainence agreement.

Maintenance agreement which really means that they are cleaning the roof once a year to keep the dredded algae, mold and mildew at bay, right?! lol

My sentiments exactly. Especially down here in sunny Florida! I have seen roofs sitting closer to the lakes that just get black as all black.

Guest A to Z Roof Cleaning

Zinc or copper strips don't work well either, I have cleaned many roofs with them and they are just ad algae covered as the roof! In fact I have almost been tripped by them since they blend in from the algae.

These "Never Clean Your Roof Again" Claims, are usually made by Roof-A-Cide franchisers.

They come and pressure clean your roof and then you pay for them to spray their copper sulfate on the roof, but you have to sign a maintenance agreement for them to re-spray it every 2 years. If that fails to satisfy the customer *THE IDEA IS* they will clean it for free and continue the every 2 year maintenance.

As to copper or zinc strips, that was a big thing here in my area back 20 years ago. If a roof were 100% even and the leached out copper / zinc could spread 100% evenly, I MIGHT work. Roofs are not. What happened here was this: Low areas on the roofs would accumulate the copper / zinc leached out and stay clean, high spots would load up with algae as always. They put lots of them on and I have cleaned lots of roofs with them right there-not functioning. I haven't run into any in years.

These "Never Clean Your Roof Again" Claims, are usually made by Roof-A-Cide franchisers.

They come and pressure clean your roof and then you pay for them to spray their copper sulfate on the roof, but you have to sign a maintenance agreement for them to re-spray it every 2 years. If that fails to satisfy the customer *THE IDEA IS* they will clean it for free and continue the every 2 year maintenance.

As to copper or zinc strips, that was a big thing here in my area back 20 years ago. If a roof were 100% even and the leached out copper / zinc could spread 100% evenly, I MIGHT work. Roofs are not. What happened here was this: Low areas on the roofs would accumulate the copper / zinc leached out and stay clean, high spots would load up with algae as always. They put lots of them on and I have cleaned lots of roofs with them right there-not functioning. I haven't run into any in years.

I have seen the same thing on the cedar roofs up here.

If copper strips work, why not line the ridge with pennies? Sounds dumb, but it might just work. Call it pennies from heaven and upsell it lol