Roof Cleaning Virginia

New roof pump variant!!

There's a new variety of the 5850 12v pump on the market.  Bob at PressureTek.com is carrying them, and although they wholesale for more than the regular Delevan 5850, Bob has not increased his retail prices on them.  I'm told that the motor has been substantially upgraded and that the motor housing size has had to be increased to accommodate the improved motor.

I've just ordered 4 of them (along with a whole bunch of other things)  and will provide unbiased feedback once we've field tested them.   For anyone that's been on the RCIA for a while, you know that American-ProTech goes through LOTS of pumps.  Fingers crossed that this upgrade reduces our pump consumption.

Dead_pumps.jpg

Your feedback is highly valued, as always Ted. My friend Jeff Worth, who was the old operations manager for Mallard Systems out of Orlando, back in the heyday , swears by Shurflo Pumps. He is not a member here, but you could find him in my friends list from Facebook, and see what model number of Shurflo it is ?  They only make about a Zillion models, and Jeff says you have to get the right one ?

Jeff cleans a ton of roofs daily, mostly tile, and gets about a year or more on the pumps he says ?  I did try a few Shurflo pumps years ago, and never got that kind of life out of them. 

Thanks Chris - I'll reach out to him and see what I can find out.  Maybe we'll have a 12v pump shootout / torture test to see which one is better suited for the long haul.  We're blowing the motors on ours 9 times out of 10 or more.

As an aside, I'm setting up a pump experiment in my garage now.  If the idea works, we'll make sure it's known here (RCIA Premium Section)  first......

If it is MOTORS burning up Ted, and not pressure switches, maybe you can try one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578545_200578545

This one is 3 gpm, but they make big boys too, up to 7 GPM.

The big difference between these and other 12 volt pumps is, these motors are rated for Continuous Duty :) 

For the purpose of this thread only, and Ted you already know this, one of THE biggest mistakes in buying any 12 volt pump, is buying one that is too BIG :( 

If you place a smaller nozzle on the hose end of a larger then you need 12 volt pump, the pump cycles on and off rapidly, and that burns up pressure switches.  Actually, when it comes to 12 volt pumps, they are like high performance Camshafts for a street car, better too small, then too big.

For the purpose of this thread only, and Ted you already know this, one of THE biggest mistakes in buying any 12 volt pump, is buying one that is too BIG :( 

If you place a smaller nozzle on the hose end of a larger then you need 12 volt pump, the pump cycles on and off rapidly, and that burns up pressure switches.  Actually, when it comes to 12 volt pumps, they are like high performance Camshafts for a street car, better too small, then too big.

That is great piece of information!  

Did anyone ever find out which shurflo jeff uses?  I am air now, but just curious. I used to use the shurflo and also thought they were the best. But in my attempt to find better ones I tried every one out there. And don't remember which shurflo I like the most.

I will ask Jeff, we are friends

As is typical with the lightnin' fast shipping from Bob, my new spare pumps have already arrived.  I was doing an experiment with a standard 5850, and just placed a new model beside it for comparison.  The motor housing is about 1" long to accommodate the improved motor that Bob spoke of.    Specs of the pump (GPM/AMPs etc) remain the same. I'm cautiously optimistic.

20160225_124112.jpg

As is typical with the lightnin' fast shipping from Bob, my new spare pumps have already arrived.  I was doing an experiment with a standard 5850, and just placed a new model beside it for comparison.  The motor housing is about 1" long to accommodate the improved motor that Bob spoke of.    Specs of the pump (GPM/AMPs etc) remain the same. I'm cautiously optimistic.

20160225_124112.jpg

Bob is awesomely fast, when it comes to shipping, or standing behind what he sells.  The new motor housing does seem longer, but a little smaller in diameter, though it is hard to tell by the pictures.  I wonder what the weight difference is, if any ?

I have been using the pump from Northern this year. Only a couple months on it, but it is working good. A little more flow than the 5850, not as much as the fatboy. NO cycling of the pump. It does have a slow start, so you have to get used to that. Works good with tips that are used for the 5850, even throttling the valve on the wand down to get a very small spray works good with the pump.

I have been using the pump from Northern this year. Only a couple months on it, but it is working good. A little more flow than the 5850, not as much as the fatboy. NO cycling of the pump. It does have a slow start, so you have to get used to that. Works good with tips that are used for the 5850, even throttling the valve on the wand down to get a very small spray works good with the pump.

Good Information! 

Update - we have yet to kill the pump with the new motor variant...  And we typically burn through 12v pumps very quickly.  So far so good!

Glad to hear the new 5850s are holding up. I am going with the same pump simply because that's what your using Ted, and that's the truth.  I really feed off your posts on here and keep the premium member nuggets coming. Even being new to the scene I have learned a ton on this forum that will put me ahead of the curve.  I look forward to soaking up more and more info in the days ahead.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Ted and all the others too.  One day I will be able to pay it forward, and help a new "info crazed" start up out.  

The new variant of the 5850 from Bob FINALLY bought the farm.  But it wasn't the motor, it was the 'head gasket' for lack of better words.  We got over 3 months of HEAVY use out of that bad boy!  With the prior versions, we'd sometimes go through them in just a few weeks.  Very pleased.

On 6/4/2016 at 6:59 PM, Roof Cleaning Virginia said:

The new variant of the 5850 from Bob FINALLY bought the farm.  But it wasn't the motor, it was the 'head gasket' for lack of better words.  We got over 3 months of HEAVY use out of that bad boy!  With the prior versions, we'd sometimes go through them in just a few weeks.  Very pleased.

You still using the 12v 5850 ?? Or did you find another pump u like?? I just got the fat boy from bob, maybe I will buy the 5850 for a back up

Still using the 'new' variant of the 5850 Justin.  (I typically buy 6 or 8 at  time, so we're committed for a while.)  We've used the Fatboys with much success in the past, but have stayed with the 5850s for a number of years now.  This is due largely to cost (5850s are cheaper of course) and our application method.

You'll definitely want a back up/replacement on hand.  Our line of work tortures these 12v pumps and they WILL fail on you.