DomHPD

Single tank for now mix.......

All, 

For now I will be using a single 50g tank, until I find a 100 or I get more jobs.

My question is: whats the order of mixing? Water, Sh, surfactant?

Thanks

I use 55 gallon drums and usually add water thru one of the bungs and pump sh in thru the other and as I get close to full, add surfactant. I keep the water hose deep in the mix so I don't make a ton of suds. Once full, I pull the water hose out, stick the suction tube into the drum and since I still have my transfer hose in the drum I just open the valve for a minute or two to mix it all up. Then I flip my 3 way ball valve over to spray hose. If I am just starting for the day, I will then remove the transfer hose and pump the solution thru my spray hose to get any air out. Once I have a solid stream thru the spray hose it's time to treat the roof.

IMO, as long as you don't make a ton of suds by not submerging the hose into the mix and as long as you mix the finished solution with your pump, it doesn't make any difference what order you add the ingredients. 

Thank u all for your responses. Now, if I decide to use a 55g drum, how do I fill it with necessary SH at the chemical company? Do I transfer from their tanks or so they have a hose to fill my tank? Also do they have some sort of gallon counter that will let me know how much I have?

Wow, the sound of all that makes me love my setup. I pump from one 55 gal. chem tank to another 55 gal mix tank with one of my 5gpm pumps. I have it plumbed so I switch a couple valves, I can run water or SH or mix through either pump at any time. Turn three valves, flush the pumps at will, it's awesome once setup right. I used to have to disconnect a bunch of things, and go through a whole process to fill tanks, make mixes, flush pumps, hoses, etc. 

For picking up SH I would maybe use a 5 gal bucket and measure things out, then put graduated marks on the tank so you know what you're getting. You'll also be able to gauge how much you use as well. They may or may not have a way to meter what they give you.

Thank u all for your responses. Now, if I decide to use a 55g drum, how do I fill it with necessary SH at the chemical company? Do I transfer from their tanks or so they have a hose to fill my tank? Also do they have some sort of gallon counter that will let me know how much I have?

I don't know anything about getting it pumped in by the chemical company. Neither supplier in my area does that nor due they offer "mini bulk" service where they send a tanker to your shop to pump it into your tank. My suppliers only offer SH in carboys(15 gallon drums that cost almost double per gallon), 55 gallon drums, 220 gallon totes and 270 gallon totes. The only options for me are to have them forklift a 55 gallon drum into my trailer or to pay them to deliver to me. Unless you have the proper CDL license you can only transport one drum at a time as two drums exceed the weight limit you can carry. Next year I plan on having them deliver 4 drums at a time, but this year I just picked one up as I needed it. Totes are cheaper but they can't deliver to my shop because they can't get the big rig in and out of my lot. 

Wow, the sound of all that makes me love my setup. I pump from one 55 gal. chem tank to another 55 gal mix tank with one of my 5gpm pumps. I have it plumbed so I switch a couple valves, I can run water or SH or mix through either pump at any time. Turn three valves, flush the pumps at will, it's awesome once setup right. I used to have to disconnect a bunch of things, and go through a whole process to fill tanks, make mixes, flush pumps, hoses, etc. 

For picking up SH I would maybe use a 5 gal bucket and measure things out, then put graduated marks on the tank so you know what you're getting. You'll also be able to gauge how much you use as well. They may or may not have a way to meter what they give you.

That sounds like a nice setup but for me it probably wouldn't work since I am constantly switching out empty drums for full ones at my supplier. Still, I would love to see a video of your setup to see if I can incorporate some of your ideas. How about sharing a YouTube video of your rig? 

Good idea, I thought about making marks at certain gallons. Thanks all for the feedback

All, 

For now I will be using a single 50g tank, until I find a 100 or I get more jobs.

My question is: whats the order of mixing? Water, Sh, surfactant?

Thanks

ALWAYS ADD CHEMICAL TO WATER, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. 
When diluting chemicals, put the water in the container first, then add SH, then surfactant.

When I mix a new batch I short the water by about 5 gallons then add SH, then surfactant, then mix in the other 5 gallons to help incorporate the surfactant. 

ALWAYS ADD CHEMICAL TO WATER, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. 
When diluting chemicals, put the water in the container first, then add SH, then surfactant

Why? I see no reason it will make the slightest difference but I am sure you have a logical reason.  

Why? I see no reason it will make the slightest difference but I am sure you have a logical reason.  

I think hes saying it so it will mix better.. I am not saying it wont mix if you do it the other way but by adding water first you dont have all your SH at the bottom ( if you don't mix) mixing it then it most likely would not matter. I am no expert but when I mix I plan on doing water, SH, then surfacant because the soap or roof snot or whatever will sink.. Can you imagine if you put like 16oz of dish soap then SH then water you would prob get a bunch of soap stuck to the bottom, it would be harder to mix, and you would prob have a crazy amount of bubbles lol.. Just my 2 cents.

It obviously makes no difference. Its not muriatic acid.  I have a 200 gal chemical tank mounted slightly above my 100 gal mix tank with a bottom bulkhead drain. I just open the valve and gravity feed 40 gals. then add 600 H20 with a hose.  So I have to put the SH in first or the level will be to high to gravity feed the SH in after. 

It all has to deal with OSHA. We mix chemicals at my other job and it is always safer to add a chemical to water, if the mix splashes it will be at a less concentration if you pour the chemical into water. With that being said, the mixture will mix quicker if you add water second.  

You want to prank somebody...add surfactant to their empty buffer tank and watch the hilarity ensue. Otherwise, surfactant always last. Then SH and Water...doesn't really matter. We add SH first so we get full dilution.

That sounds like a nice setup but for me it probably wouldn't work since I am constantly switching out empty drums for full ones at my supplier. Still, I would love to see a video of your setup to see if I can incorporate some of your ideas. How about sharing a YouTube video of your rig? 

I can make a short video one day this week. My setup is pretty simple. Since I have graduated tanks, I fill with chem first so I know how much I have. I don't make too many partial batches, usually a full tank every time. I add as much SH as I need, then put the water in.

If you can get away with it, adding water THEN the SH will help it mix easier. SH is heavier than water. I had this problem a lot adding water to the top of the tank. If I didn't cycle it through a few minutes with the pump, the bottom of the tank would be a strong mix, and the top would be weak, because water doesn't sink into SH. It floats on top. 

The nice thing for me is that my tanks don't have bulkheads. They have a stick that is plumbed from the top into the bottom of the tank. I pull chem out through this, but also have water go in here so it goes into the bottom of the tank and mixes while it fills. I'll put a video up so you can see when I get some time this week.

I can make a short video one day this week. My setup is pretty simple. Since I have graduated tanks, I fill with chem first so I know how much I have. I don't make too many partial batches, usually a full tank every time. I add as much SH as I need, then put the water in.

If you can get away with it, adding water THEN the SH will help it mix easier. SH is heavier than water. I had this problem a lot adding water to the top of the tank. If I didn't cycle it through a few minutes with the pump, the bottom of the tank would be a strong mix, and the top would be weak, because water doesn't sink into SH. It floats on top. 

The nice thing for me is that my tanks don't have bulkheads. They have a stick that is plumbed from the top into the bottom of the tank. I pull chem out through this, but also have water go in here so it goes into the bottom of the tank and mixes while it fills. I'll put a video up so you can see when I get some time this week.

I have a simple system. 200 gal chem tank  100 gal mix tank. I open a 2 inch ball valve bottom bulk head feed on my slighly elevated tank. Fill to 40 with graduated marks and top off with customers water hose to whatever.  I use drop sticks to suck out with pump.  Simple solution for mixing the two. I use a plastic toy boat paddle, like would be used on a kids canoe. Not sure but I probably got it at walmart or toys r us. 

It obviously makes no difference. Its not muriatic acid.  I have a 200 gal chemical tank mounted slightly above my 100 gal mix tank with a bottom bulkhead drain. I just open the valve and gravity feed 40 gals. then add 600 H20 with a hose.  So I have to put the SH in first or the level will be to high to gravity feed the SH in after. 

We have 2 separate 250 gallon tanks on our Flatbed Truck, one is tile roof mix, and one is for shingle, with a valve to switch between tanks. The dual tank method you describe with a gravity fed mix tank is a good system. 

We have 2 separate 250 gallon tanks on our Flatbed Truck, one is tile roof mix, and one is for shingle, with a valve to switch between tanks. The dual tank method you describe with a gravity fed mix tank is a good system. 

Yes it is.  Works well enough for 18 years to never feel the need to change it. And belive you me I have made multiple other modifications thru the years. Mostly to eliminate as many fittings (all potential leaks) as I could.  The original design that me and my fabricator came up with was too elaborate. I realized it was mostly for his benefit. Thier is a lot of profit in fittings. LOL! And he put a gazillion on it in his effort to build an everything machine. The basic concept is still in operation minus about 30 less fittings though. White fittings do not hold up. And the type and size black ones I like are hard to find in Orlando.  Any ideas Chris.. OHH and BTW you have no idea how good it feels to see you back on here buddy.  Welcome back.  But dont do cartwheels just yet.  I highly reccomend you stick to the regiment the doctors and nurses ordered.  Chillax my freind.

Yes it is.  Works well enough for 18 years to never feel the need to change it. And belive you me I have made multiple other modifications thru the years. Mostly to eliminate as many fittings (all potential leaks) as I could.  The original design that me and my fabricator came up with was too elaborate. I realized it was mostly for his benefit. Thier is a lot of profit in fittings. LOL! And he put a gazillion on it in his effort to build an everything machine. The basic concept is still in operation minus about 30 less fittings though. White fittings do not hold up. And the type and size black ones I like are hard to find in Orlando.  Any ideas Chris.. OHH and BTW you have no idea how good it feels to see you back on here buddy.  Welcome back.  But dont do cartwheels just yet.  I highly reccomend you stick to the regiment the doctors and nurses ordered.  Chillax my freind.

I have ordered fittings from these guys before Glenn. The gravity fed tank system was used years ago by Mallard Systems, and works great. 

Did You forgot to insert something.  What guys?  Aha  Mallard and thier special duck sauce. I I assumed that was the inspiration for naming your apple sauce.  Are any of those guys (founders) on here or friends. I don't want to say anything inappropriate

I have a simple system. 200 gal chem tank  100 gal mix tank. I open a 2 inch ball valve bottom bulk head feed on my slighly elevated tank. Fill to 40 with graduated marks and top off with customers water hose to whatever.  I use drop sticks to suck out with pump.  Simple solution for mixing the two. I use a plastic toy boat paddle, like would be used on a kids canoe. Not sure but I probably got it at walmart or toys r us. 

I love the boat paddle idea.