Curb Appeal Pros LLC

new rig?new guy? need help plz

Hey Everyone I am new to this forum but Ive been reading EVERY post damn near and all 25 pages for the past 2 weeks and all I can say is MAN DID I LEARN A LOT. Me and my best friend are starting a low pressure business over the winter so when Spring hits we are ready to rock and roll. Everyone on this forum is so smart that its making it hard to decided what the hell we are doing or how to start. I have a few questions that I hope I can get some answers on.

So we just bought a 6x12 enclosed trailer and now we are looking on what to buy for our business as far as rig setup. Ive read books from john white Ive read most the post on this website and it seems that air diaphragm pumps and compressor setups are the way to go. Our budget is about 2500 to start. I know a lot of the 1in pumps like Kynar range from 800-1000 ( unless I am googling the wrong part) and a 20 CFM compressor is like 3000 so I am so far past my budget and thats not including hoses or anything else.

I know another option is a 12V pump but I keep reading on here that they burn out or they cant shoot 2 stories all that well and that rinsing a roof sucks really really bad with a garden house or a 12V pump.

What we are looking for is advice on what to buy and where to buy it. I know we need poly tanks 2-3  from anywhere from 65 gallons up to 125.

For now we are only interested in roof cleaning and siding however as you know as we grow the business will grow but I dont want to buy a bunch of equipment that I cant grow into. So id like to get it right the 1st time.

If you had 2500 bucks to spend filling your 6X12 trailer with a rig how and what would you do?

Any help would be wonderful because i keep reading and reading and confusing my self I just don't want to spend all this money and get all the wrong things..

Thanks guys for the help and support

Don

USMC

OOOORAH

PS ( we are becoming premium members this week we are still working on a company name and logo)

Edited by dmush21

What type of research have you done for your area? What I mean is what type of homes are in your area? If you are able to walk on the first story and only need to shoot 10 feet to get the second story why not start with electric? Pressure Tek sells good kits for around $500, only thing else you need are a tank and battery. With regards to rinsing, in MO most homes have gutters so rinsing is not as crucial as some other parts of the country. What I do is rinse up 2-3 feet from the gutter line and leave the rest for mother nature if I am worried about runoff. As for a tank I would buy a 250-275 gal tote. Look at craigslist search "tote" look around because I have seen them from $50-100.

Hey guys.  I can tell you, I'm going through the exact same process you are, except I'm going through it a lot slower since I'm still at my full time career.  I'll be putting up a Youtube video going through literally every single expense I incurred getting my rig together for the premium guys, but the biggest thing I can tell you is that there are a lot of little expenses that add up.  What I mean is, obviously you'll need your compressor, pump, hose, fittings, rinse system etc, but consider some additional stuff like safety equipment (masks, goggles, gloves, harness etc), ladders, tools, chemicals, hardware (I think I've probably spent about $50 just in hardware alone, nuts, bolts, washers, etc), some prep work for the inside of the enclosed trailer so the fumes don't destroy everything etc.  If you want to get out there cleaning, Gary's advice is very good, there's nothing wrong with one of those pre-made electric systems.  Many people will tell you it's not perfect, but it gets you out there getting experience, and plenty of folks have had great success with electric systems.  Also consider some budget for marketing if you haven't already.  I was set on roughly $2500 for my setup as well, but I put aside another $2500 just for potential marketing materials.

Hey Mid-mode there are a lot of different types of roofs there are a lot of single story ranch homes and there are a lot of 2 stories that on the back side are 30-40 high on steep pitches. Its not crazy thick nasty but its on these roofs and it makes the homes look terrible.  We though about electric and the price for a system seems a lot cheaper than an air pump but i feel like I would outgrow or replace it sooner than later due to growth and having way to much motivation :) And thanks Matt it does sound like your going thru the same things we are. As far as the budget  this was 2500 just for the rig not including trailer or safety equipment,insurance, flyers, ect... We have priced out everything and really we can spend  4000 on a rig but I like creative thinking and with some bargain hunting and good advice such as you guys we just feel we can lower our expenses due to making less errors buying the wrong stuff.. We can spend prob no more than 4000 on just a rig but would like something mid range to get the job done quick and safe and be able to offer other service such as cleaning siding.

Thanks guys

Ah, if you've got $2500 just for the pump, tank, hose, etc, then you've got plenty for a modest set up.  I say modest because if you go big, you can eat up that $2500 extremely fast.  I've been working on small engines for years, so I picked up a 16.2 CFM air compressor on Craigslist for $400.  I put about $100 into it and it's a champ.  If you're handy with machines and you know what to look for, there's plenty of decent air compressors on Craigslist.  If you go new though, you can spend a lot in a hurry.  The HF beast can set you back around $1100 plus tax.  A beefy full stainless steel reel is another $350-550 depending on the model.  Consider $200-300 for some chemical hose and $100-200 for some 3/4" mean green rinse hose and you've eaten through more money.  A modest set up would be the $500 HF beast's little brother, a 1/2" Kynar pump, some 5/8" chemical hose, the 3/4" mean green, and your choice of how you want to set up your hoses, tanks etc.  Even if you grow out of it and start venturing into 1" territory, you've still got an excellent back-up setup with those components.

Matt my man that's pretty much in a nut shell what we we were looking for or thinking of. I just started thinking around those  lines. . Do you think 2 100 gallon tanks would do? 1 for roof mix and 1 for siding  and maybe 1 35 gallon mix tank?

who ever said you can't do 2 story homes with a fatboy or similar higher flow 12v pumps are wrong...  My company has been around a long time as far as the roof cleaning world goes.. We have done 4 stories no problem with them... We have the skid from pressure tek, the skid from powerwash store, and had an air setup which we no longer use... The 12v's burn out when you don't rinse them at the end of the day.. We rinse them between jobs... They run every day and last a season no problem. Have one pump that is just over 3 years, and a transfer that pumps pure SH that is now 4 years old, but its always rinsed..

You can't carry more than 119 gallons of SH/ SH mix for DOT reasons. Unless you just want to chance it...

who ever said you can't do 2 story homes with a fatboy or similar higher flow 12v pumps are wrong...  My company has been around a long time as far as the roof cleaning world goes.. We have done 4 stories no problem with them... We have the skid from pressure tek, the skid from powerwash store, and had an air setup which we no longer use... The 12v's burn out when you don't rinse them at the end of the day.. We rinse them between jobs... They run every day and last a season no problem. Have one pump that is just over 3 years, and a transfer that pumps pure SH that is now 4 years old, but its always rinsed..

You can't carry more than 119 gallons of SH/ SH mix for DOT reasons. Unless you just want to chance it...

How often do your guys get on the roof?

Can I ask why you ditched your air set up?...

Although I don't use 12V for roofs,  I've seen many posts over the years by many established companies that use only 12V,..so don't let the negative opinions of 12V  totally influence your choice.  

12V pumps make alot of money for a small investment,..I agree with Lee above,..most of the time it is user negligence that shortens the life of a 12V. Like not rinsing, or bad connections to the battery,..like too small wire. 

If you were walking roofs, you could use a small 2 GPM and make money, and lessen the runoff until you got a handle on the flow and how this whole roof cleaning  "thing" works.

But,..more GPM will give you the ability to shoot from the top of a ladder at the roof edge. 

Don't let all the reading over complicate what is basically a simple process. 

Jeff

Hey Jeff thanks for the input.. We do like the 12V system but for the target market we are going for rising the roof is going to need to happen and from what Ive been reading rising takes the most time so I guess we are just concerned with how to rinse it in a timely manner with a 12V system and a garden hose. We were prob going to run 200 Ft of hose and I did see you can buy the "master nozzle" with the garden hose to rinse off a little better so we are un sure of what to do. Below is a picture of my house from the back side and if you look the back of the house is so high (35-40 ft) that I think no matter what you have you would need to use a ladder or get on the roof from the front side just because I think it would be hard to get good coverage from the ground.  Most of the houses out here are built like this where they are steep pitched and tall 2 stories.But by looking at the picture I guess both air and 12v systems would work.. However if we could get a good air system for under 3000 that would be great if we have to get all the cheap crap stuff for air and its around our max then the 12V would be the way to go.

Thanks guys for the help we sure do need it.

house.jpg

I have been around the roof cleaning only service for sometime now and all I have used is 12v pump system. That is not to say other systems are not good also. Personally I like the no noise with a 12v pump system.

I don't own a pressure washer so don't have to deal with such on that end either. If I was going to purchased a roof cleaning or no pressure system I'd go with the fatboy bandit from Bob @ Pressure Tek.

That's not to say other systems are not good but, in my opinion, it is the best bang for the buck.

I can shoot three stories from the ground with my pump. If you know how you can set the pressure higher and shoot even further.

The only issue that you may have with a 12v pump or Fatboy pump is the relay switch overheating but that is an easy fix by using a solenoid to replace the bypass switch.

98% of our work is cleaning wood/cedar shake roofs which requires a lot of pump time because of how the cleaning process works.

We clean on average 75 cedar shake roofs a season, only because we do this part time, and I have cleaned about 150 with my present pump and still going.

With your budget you should be able to set up a nice system. Though make sure to save some for marketing purposes. Starting out that will be a big cost.

Tank_System_1.thumb.jpg.8f4fff205e17d2a6

I just want to add my opinion to shooting from the ground method. I never shoot a roof from the ground,..too much mist floating through the air for my liking,..especially when trying to shoot 2-3 stories.  So much easier to just put up a ladder with a stabilizer.  You will use less mix and also get better coverage because you can wee what the heck you're doing.  

Yes,.air is actually simpler and is what I prefer.  So if the funds are there and the space isn't a factor,..it's a good choice.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff and Iowa roof cleaning.. You rig looks great I have a feeling starting off we are going to most likely use a 12V just so we know what we are doing and learn and then maybe next season grow into a air system it seems like thats the main feedback we are getting. With running a 12V system I guess you would run 5/8 hose line with 2 tanks and a mean green hose and call it a day then? It seems like it would be enough to do siding and roofs we just want to be able to get in do a good job and get out without wasting hours and hours on a roof due to system limitations.

Thanks

Do lots of research on house washing,..way different than roof cleaning. The Pressure Washing Institute forum has alot more info on house washing and things like decks and concrete cleaning. This is a nice forum,..but mostly pertains to roof cleaning,..which is what Chris intended.

Jeff

I run the 12 volt pumps. If you rinse them, and have good batteries and wiring, they will last. I have two seasons now on my pumps. If you are going to rinse roofs, get a booster pump. You can rinse roofs with the homeowners water, it they have really good pressure, but a booster pump will really help. Plus you can adjust the pressure to what you need.

Thanks Jeff and thanks Kleen, yes our main focus is roof cleaning and thats what we are he for I was just saying we will be adding more services as we grow and expand. Kleen is there any booster pumps you would recommend? Ive heard of people using them but I cant say Ive honestly done a lot of research on them.. I guess I know what ill be doing today..

I started with 12v, but after numerous dis-appointments, i switched to air. Probably the first on here to build a 1" set-up, Several years ago I spent the entire winter checking out "auction" sites all over the country, looking for the equipment I wanted. I managed to build my system for less than $2K. (http://roofcleaninginstitute.org/topic/345-latest-pics-of-my-rig/ ) I am totally happy with the performance and no longer "fear" any job.

Your timing is perfect to do the same thing over the winter. HF has a great booster pump for around $100.00. You only need 1 tank. (KISS)

Thanks Garyw we have read a lot of your post your the man. I think we could do a air pump or 12V for under a few grand each it seems like the air pump is the long term way to go and the 12v is cheap and gets the job done. Since we are leaning we are still researching stuff like what side hose to use 5/8 for 12v and 3/4 for 1 in air pump ect. Whats the best products to run the SH thru the pump or to inject it after the pump. So its easy to say we are still in the learning phase but the setup and link you sent was amazing I cant believe you found that much stuff for so cheap. Ive been checking Craigslist pretty hard but other than that I am not sure where to look. In the area I am in not to many people are doing this so its hard to find local places that are selling there old stuff or even places to find new stuff.  I was looking at a diagram for a pump system and I think we are making it to difficult by reading to much into it. I was looking for a diagram for a 12V system from start to finish and I still cannot seem to find one that has the a,b,c. We are signing up for the premium membership tomorrow so I am hoping we may find the answers we are looking for.

Thanks again Garyw

This is incredible information, guys! Thank you so much! I am so torn on what to go with as well after all of this, I am definitely thinking too much into it. I had, in my own head, decided that the 12v would have been the best bet to start out with for the first season and then make a bigger upgrade from there if need be or if that burns out for some reason (we would definitely take care of rinsing, maintenance, etc). But now I am wondering if it is just worth spending the extra coin now and not having to worry about the rig for a while and know it is an ample setup for the multitude of job types here that we may encounter.

We are definitely signing up for the premium membership tomorrow, so that will open up a wealth of information as well. Thanks so much for the input thus far. Keep it coming (please)!

I started with 12v, but after numerous dis-appointments, i switched to air. Probably the first on here to build a 1" set-up, Several years ago I spent the entire winter checking out "auction" sites all over the country, looking for the equipment I wanted. I managed to build my system for less than $2K. (http://roofcleaninginstitute.org/topic/345-latest-pics-of-my-rig/ ) I am totally happy with the performance and no longer "fear" any job.

Your timing is perfect to do the same thing over the winter. HF has a great booster pump for around $100.00. You only need 1 tank. (KISS)

Hoo dang, that's nice.

Don't limit yourself to Craig's list only. Research gov't auctions, ebay,richie bros, and a lot more auctions that sell off surplus equipment. Call me if you need help on decisions.

Thanks Gary we will take you up on that once we dial in a little bit more on what we are looking for. I am buying a premium membership as week speak as soon as I locate where to buy it at :) and then once we look thru some forums we shall be in touch. Like I said we have all winter and we have a trailer waiting to be decked out with out rig I just want to make sure we don't buy the wrong things. So far my for sure buying list is a mean green 100 ft 3/4 hose, a master water nozzle, and some type of kuritec 5/8 or 3/4 hose and 2 100 gallon tanks.. Other than that we really don't know if 12V  system or a  big bad 1in air pump with compressor set up is for us.. Thanks again for all of the support. Also me and Julio ( business partner) have 2 accounts on here but we are starting the same company do we both need to purchase a premium membership or just work off 1 account?

Thanks guys your the best

Here is another. Auctions worldwide. Get on their email list. Open an online bidding account. https://www.rbauction.com/?utm_expid=331893-19._z7rwT5GRGi9_BzjrFTH9w.0&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rbauction.com%2F