I was on Angie's List reading customer reviews of roof cleaning companies. I came across this customer review which once again illustrates the wrong way to clean a roof. Out of respect I will not mention the company name. I am not so interested in speaking out against a company but do want to speak out against a bad practice.

Customer quote:

"I wasn’t too pleased with the service. They cleaned the roof. Instead of spraying something onto it to clean they used a power washer and left a mess behind on the back of the house. They knocked off the pebbles that were on the roofing squares and they are still coming down the gutters.  I have had to clean off my patio deck and the furniture from the pebbles."

This customer is concerned about the mess due to the dislodged granules "pebbles" from the asphalt shingles caused by the damaging water pressure of the power washer. Unfortunately this customer now has much bigger concerns which include a shortened life span of the shingles, a shingle warranty that is now void and increased utility bills since the shingles ability to reflect the suns energy has been compromised. All caused by power washing.

All this damage could have easily been prevented if the contractor used a soft wash process. The need to educate homeowners cannot be stressed enough about the importance of selecting only roof cleaning professionals trained and certified by the Roof Cleaning Institute of America in the art of low-pressure soft wash cleaning and restoration.

Guest A to Z Roof Cleaning

Another customer has learned the hard way. Thats too bad.

at the home show this weekend I had a lady tell me that she just had her roof powerwashed and it was all clean.. I felt bad that she got swindled into it, so rather than tell her she was wrong, I just handed her a brochure and said read about our method and keep us in mind for next time!

at the home show this weekend I had a lady tell me that she just had her roof powerwashed and it was all clean.. I felt bad that she got swindled into it, so rather than tell her she was wrong, I just handed her a brochure and said read about our method and keep us in mind for next time!

ksroofs,

You mentioned a "home show". I assume that is an event or exhibit you attend to promote your business? Do you get many leads? Is it something you would recommend?

ksroofs,

You mentioned a "home show". I assume that is an event or exhibit you attend to promote your business? Do you get many leads? Is it something you would recommend?

Around here they are called either "home and garden shows" or "home and condo shows".. Most areas have them at the local Civic Centers.. Yeah so far they have been great, Since roof cleaning is our main service, there are no competitors, or pressure-washers either..So it is great exposure and getting the word out to the public.. Most booths are builders,lawncare,porch awnings, gutter gaurds,insurance agents, realestate, maybe some kitchen booths, stuff along those lines.. They do all the advertising and promoting for the events to draw a crowd.. Leads are great! Actually we even get leads from alot of the other vendors that are interested! The last show only brought in maybe 2500 people... Got 10 from that and will end up with around 15 leads from all the info we handed out.. The next show we are expecting 12,000 people so im reallll excited about it! So far they are def. worth the money!

Guest A to Z Roof Cleaning

You can get 6'x3 banners from vista print for like $20. You just need to spend some time on the design yourself.

These are fairly thick too.

We love doing home and garden show its our 2nd one this year. we are doing one this weekend.

Eric,

I like the set up. As usual you share so much info we will all learn from.

Hank

my problem is pictures, or the  lack  of, starting out suck! new businesses take time to get marketing material together.  Home show are big lead producers for my spray foam insulation business.

Go here www.roof-cleaning-tampa.com and look for some non pressure roof cleaning pictures to use. Help Yourself My Friend!

Chris

I was on Angie's List reading customer reviews of roof cleaning companies. I came across this customer review which once again illustrates the wrong way to clean a roof. Out of respect I will not mention the company name. I am not so interested in speaking out against a company but do want to speak out against a bad practice.

Customer quote:

"I wasn’t too pleased with the service. They cleaned the roof. Instead of spraying something onto it to clean they used a power washer and left a mess behind on the back of the house. They knocked off the pebbles that were on the roofing squares and they are still coming down the gutters.  I have had to clean off my patio deck and the furniture from the pebbles."

This customer is concerned about the mess due to the dislodged granules "pebbles" from the asphalt shingles caused by the damaging water pressure of the power washer. Unfortunately this customer now has much bigger concerns which include a shortened life span of the shingles, a shingle warranty that is now void and increased utility bills since the shingles ability to reflect the suns energy has been compromised. All caused by power washing.

All this damage could have easily been prevented if the contractor used a soft wash process. The need to educate homeowners cannot be stressed enough about the importance of selecting only roof cleaning professionals trained and certified by the Roof Cleaning Institute of America in the art of low-pressure soft wash cleaning and restoration.

Excellent post! If only we could put this in front of every prospective customer!

I plan to print it and do just that! May use it in a Craigslist post locally too!

THANKS!!!

I wish customers would use a little common sense and do a little bit of research before letting these people with pressure washers blast their roof away. I mean seriously, is it that hard to figure out that maybe blasting a shingle roof with high pressure water might damage it? Its not hard to type roof cleaning on google and the first thing you will see is the video "The truth about roof cleaning and roof algae" from Barry of Midwest Pro Wash. My opinion is that there are two reasons a homeowner chooses to pressure wash their roof... 1. they are don't know about our methods or 2. they are price shopping for the cheapest way to clean their roof. If they really dont know about softwashing and non-pressure washing then I feel bad for them when their roof destroyed. Hopefully they will learn a lesson and call any of the experts from the RCIA next time. But if they are price shopping for the cheapest service then I hope they get whats coming to them. I had a guy just yesterday tell me he was going to pressure wash his shingle roof instead of hiring me because the other guy was $100 cheaper. I asked him if saving $100 was worth having a $10,000 roof replaced because the other guy destroyed the shingles. He proceeded to tell me that pressure washing wouldn't hurt the roof. I gave up at that point and told him to call me in a year when his roof is black again, if he still had a roof left and wanted it done the right way. Needless to say I'm frustrated with stupid people and "the other guy" taking jobs from under me. Another customer told me he had his 4000sq ft tile roof done last year by two mexicans that used surface cleaners for $100. I did manage to get that job because he understood that was the wrong way and I cleaned his driveway for free after the roof cleaning. I know every market has the "lowballer" that takes jobs away from us but when I get call after call and give quote after quote and don't get the business its irritating. I guess I just needed to vent and get it out of my system and this thread got me going lol