Jeff

Chemical Applicator and 50' of 3/8" hose?

Hey Chris, I know you have great knowledge of  hose diameter and lengths for use with 12v pumps,.. So,..I'd figure I'd ask you some advice on the build of a chemical applicator. 

I want to make a portable chemical applicator mounted on a hand truck. With 12v pump and battery, 50' of 3/8" hose on a reel  and of course the 5 gallon bucket.  

Will a 12v pump push through 50' of 3/8" hose through a small orifice like a basic garden sprayer wand, like a mist if needed?    And if so, which pump would you recommend for this?  Although I wouldn't be spraying roof mix through it I'd like it to handle aggressive chemicals if the need arises.   And I'm good about rinsing.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey Chris, I know you have great knowledge of  hose diameter and lengths for use with 12v pumps,.. So,..I'd figure I'd ask you some advice on the build of a chemical applicator. 

I want to make a portable chemical applicator mounted on a hand truck. With 12v pump and battery, 50' of 3/8" hose on a reel  and of course the 5 gallon bucket.  

Will a 12v pump push through 50' of 3/8" hose through a small orifice like a basic garden sprayer wand, like a mist if needed?    And if so, which pump would you recommend for this?  Although I wouldn't be spraying roof mix through it I'd like it to handle aggressive chemicals if the need arises.   And I'm good about rinsing.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, yes, a 12 volt pump will push chemicals through 3/8 hose just fine, for what you want to do. Tell me what you want to do with this set up

Thanks Chris, mostly I want to apply my gutter cleaner, Purple Power.  I've been using my roof rig as a test for this idea and I really like it over pump sprayers.  Just wasn't sure I'd like the extra hose getting tangled in the wash hose.  But I find it's working good. But, I'd rather have a smaller hose to apply Purple Power, 1/2" is just overkill. Plus, having a carted rig would be more tidy I believe. I also like dedicated tools, with the All-Flo roof pump I have to run PP back out of 200' of hose to then run roof mix through it, kind of a pain.

With that said, I still want a pump that will handle something more aggressive if need be,..but mostly would be used for Purple Power. 

This is gonna be a Winter project, so I'm in no hurry to throw something together.  Appreciate your knowledge and feedback!

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks Chris, mostly I want to apply my gutter cleaner, Purple Power.  I've been using my roof rig as a test for this idea and I really like it over pump sprayers.  Just wasn't sure I'd like the extra hose getting tangled in the wash hose.  But I find it's working good. But, I'd rather have a smaller hose to apply Purple Power, 1/2" is just overkill. Plus, having a carted rig would be more tidy I believe. I also like dedicated tools, with the All-Flo roof pump I have to run PP back out of 200' of hose to then run roof mix through it, kind of a pain.

With that said, I still want a pump that will handle something more aggressive if need be,..but mostly would be used for Purple Power. 

This is gonna be a Winter project, so I'm in no hurry to throw something together.  Appreciate your knowledge and feedback!

Thanks,

Jeff

I am strongly leaning to the 1.4 gpm at 100 PSI Little 12 volt Shurflo Jeff.  One can be had for under 100 dollars. I just need to know what is IN Purple Power, to check for chemical compatibility. 

Hey Tom nice to see you!!,..... I just prefer to spray gutter cleaner,..always seems to work better when sprayed,..at least for me.

Hey Chris,..PP is Butyl based and also has a kiss of NAOH.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey Tom nice to see you!!,..... I just prefer to spray gutter cleaner,..always seems to work better when sprayed,..at least for me.

Thanks,

Jeff

EDPM will have a good resistance to BOTH Butyl and NAOH :)  LOL, check these out http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Solid-100PSI-DC-12V-1GAL-Min-Diaphragm-Water-Self-Priming-Pump-High-Pressure-/131556382165?hash=item1ea15f15d5  under 20 bucks SHIPPED 

I wonder if they will work

Edited by Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777

Thanks Chris, Although they may be worth a gamble,..I think I will stick with a proven name. Anything you recommend in particular?  I was actually looking at this pump. 

SHurflo 8000-543-238                                                                                                                                

Viton isn't very good for any Sodium Hydroxide, this is a better choice http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shurflo-pump-12-volt-100-psi-1-4-gpm-NEW-8000-946-138-/220755673396

Go here http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance whenever you have chemical compatibility questions. If you select Viton, and then select Sodium Hydroxide, you will see it is only a C Rating (not good).

We want no lower rating then a B

This is why EDPM is a better choice, in this particular application. 

Edited by Apple Roof Cleaning (813) 655-8777

Thanks Chris,..I knew I asked the right guy!

Thanks Again,

Jeff

I see me and you were also on the same page, regarding pressure and flow. Some people underestimate a true gallon per minute of flow. That will be more then enough for gutters, and the 100 PSI will not only make sure we have a true 1 GPM at the end of the hose, but it will also help the pump to shoot well, when we need it. I seriously doubt you will need to use the full 100 PSI of the pump, but it is nice to know it is there, if needed. LOL, that's what pressure adjustment screws are for :) 

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'm going to have to try spraying it and see how it does.

Yea Chris I agree, I 'd rather be able to dial the pressure down than to not be able to dial it up!

Hey Tom,..I spray alot more than just the gutters with PP,..I also spray window seals, trim and fascia to brighten,..way better than house wash mix will get them. I also use it on white vinyl railing and fencing, PP just does a superior job compared to SH and soap.

I want to make it so a 5 gallon bucket can be taken on and off. Not gonna be strapped in permanent. Hoping to get by with charging the battery once a week,..not sure how much these pumps draw, but really not alot of spray time in reality when just doing gutters and trim. We shall see.  

As far as spraying gutter cleaner, it does a couple things,..I think it wakens up the cleaning agents  and lets the product work better,..and spraying makes an easy way to apply and let sit for a minute on the tough ones. The little bubbles created gives it cling to the gutter surface as well. Just my preference. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Yes, that's the stuff.  Best bought through Advance Auto website.  Free Shipping on orders over $75.00 and with code TRT30 you get 30% off.  So,..5 buckets to the door is $96.00.

There is a $50.00 cap on the savings, so ordering 5 per order suits best. 

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,  I bought my 5 5's of purple power and usually mix it with your S.L.S. to give it some cling.  I normally brush it on, let it sit and then scrub it.  I'm definitely going to try it your way. 

Chris, I bought 2 if the cheaper pumps.  I'll let you know how they do.  How do you think they would do with 18 volts instead of 12 volts?  I have a bunch of the Ryobi 18 volt batteries and it would be nice to use them.

Thanks Jeff,  I bought my 5 5's of purple power and usually mix it with your S.L.S. to give it some cling.  I normally brush it on, let it sit and then scrub it.  I'm definitely going to try it your way. 

Chris, I bought 2 if the cheaper pumps.  I'll let you know how they do.  How do you think they would do with 18 volts instead of 12 volts?  I have a bunch of the Ryobi 18 volt batteries and it would be nice to use them.

I say pit the fire in the wire, and lets see if they will shoot higher ?  

With weight of a battery in mind, I may try and use a wheel chair battery for a portable sprayer?   There won't be a constant spray,.more like spot spraying,..usually 1-2 minutes continuous at most I'd say. 

Anyone ever try this with a wheelchair type battery?  

Thanks,

Jeff

With weight of a battery in mind, I may try and use a wheel chair battery for a portable sprayer?   There won't be a constant spray,.more like spot spraying,..usually 1-2 minutes continuous at most I'd say. 

Anyone ever try this with a wheelchair type battery?  

Thanks,

Jeff

Here ya go Jeff, the answer to all your prayers http://www.ipspro.us/

Watch this video Jeff, after about a minute and 21 seconds 

Yea, Chris,.I could see me showing up on a job with that,Ha,Ha,..I like the concrete cleaning he was demonstrating. May be ok if you were getting paid by the hour,Ha,Ha,..

Thanks Tom,..that's good information.  I have an almost new tractor battery that is fairly new,..I may try it and see how long it lasts. But it also tells me that a smaller deep cycle battery would also work.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Jeff, my first set-up was for acid washing and I used a lawn mower battery.  It worked fine.  I made the new set-up, mounted everything on a 5 gallon bucket lid.  I'll try and post some pictures when I get back in town.

Yes, do that Tom, post some pictures, then maybe I will "forgive you" for the total ass whipping that the Cleveland Browns put on my Tampa Bay Buccaneers last week :(  Cleveland really looked good.

Yea, Chris,.I could see me showing up on a job with that,Ha,Ha,..I like the concrete cleaning he was demonstrating. May be ok if you were getting paid by the hour,Ha,Ha,..

Thanks Tom,..that's good information.  I have an almost new tractor battery that is fairly new,..I may try it and see how long it lasts. But it also tells me that a smaller deep cycle battery would also work.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Honest to God Jeff, I can see some cheap asses down here buying one of these to clean their tile roof with. I am quite sure it will not last very long, with that brass wand, lol. 

Ok, I went to TSC and bought the Delavan 2 GPM 60 PSI 12V. Santoprene Diaphragm and Viton valves.  I didn't disregard Chris Tuckers recommendation,..the Delavan was bought because I had some ideas and didn't want to wait,Ha,Ha,..So,.it's kinda' experimental so no big deal. I had an Idea to make it hand held,..but also wanted to make it waterproof. So my prototype came together quickly. This pump puts out 2 GPM and REALLY sprays for the purpose I intend.

Chris,..Question for you,.....I was experimenting with the flow rate to tone down the flow and the pressure,....Turning the pressure switch down just causes cycling,..but to have it up causes too much flow,..along with the PSI.    So,..what I did was make the pickup line very small,..went from 3/8" to 1/4" first,..still too much,...then I went to a size smaller than 1/4" not sure the exact size, just had it laying around,..it makes the flow and pressure perfect for what I want.  By restricting the intake it restricts the PSI and the flow.  And the motor doesn't sound like it's working as hard with the smaller hose,..so my question is,...is this restriction on the intake in any way gonna hurt anything?  I figured as long as it's pumping liquid it's ok,..and with the pump not working as hard,..I can't see what it's gonna hurt,..BUT,..that is why I'm asking.   I can switch intake hoses easy enough for times I may want more flow and PSI.

I like the bucket because with the lid it is now waterproof,..this pump is used sparingly for short spray times so heat won't be an issue,..probably around a total of 10-15 minutes per job,..  May go to the original idea of a hand truck,.but I am OUT of room,Ha,Ha,..

*Gonna use a prettier bucket next time,..this was just a prototype.  

**Pump is mounted to an oak board and lays between the battery terminals. Gonna insulate the posts and also run charging posts to the outside of the bucket.

***May try to cut down a hand truck to the size of two buckets stacked,..with something on there to keep the hose on. And also add bigger tires so it will roll easier. Not sure I even have room for that.

Jeff

Delavan.jpg

0902151120.jpg

Edited by Jeff