We got a call for a cabin to wash. The home owner had already attempted to clean it with a pressure washer and it didnt do anything but scar the wood up in random places. Now before you look at the pictures the customer wanted us to soft wash the house only and its what we did and we exceded his expectations he actualy said he figured it would only look half this good when we got done. We could of done a better job if we would of pressure washed it it would of blended his marks in better. Im curious how yall would of done this we washed it with our sh house wash mix then we washed it with oxalyic afterwards. We did good enough that he wanted us to stain it afterwards and we bid that but we are higher than a lot of people around here I want stain a deck for less than 1500 its not worth the head ache to me so I bid staining it for $4,000.00 with him providing the stain. Whats yalls thoughts on the job could yall done something else to done a better job with low pressure only. Also we used the sh mix at his request usualy on log cabins I use that log cabin wash from log jam I think this done a good job though. Rember I got only one feeling left be kind.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks really good to me.  I'm sure there are some wood cleaning experts on here that will chime in.  I know I will get asked to clean wood decks, fences and etc, but I just don't have the time right now to read through 10,000 more posts at PWI or similar forum to learn all the in's and out's of proper wood restoration.  I know it can't be that hard.  May save for some late night reading or possible over the winter. 

Given the limitations that he gave you, it looks good Doug.  To stain it now though, is going to leave it dark, without much of the wood grain (if any) showing afterwards, much like if you stain a deck year after year without stripping it.  If it were my cabin, I'd probably 3-step it before staining, but I'm very particular.

Then again maybe he wants a solid surface stain, in which case it won't matter.  (More like paint.)

Sometimes home owners truly are penny wise and dollar foolish. 

Let us know how it turns out!

We stain a lot of decks i just only get half the ones I bid on due to im high we do a good job and have had no complaints on any of them but ive never stained a cabin before but if hes willing to pay I will jump in

Ive seen that I do about 10 a year washing them I have watched videos of them being blasted looks easy but thats more equipment I would have to get and I dont do that enough to buy the equipment

Ive seen that I do about 10 a year washing them I have watched videos of them being blasted looks easy but thats more equipment I would have to get and I dont do that enough to buy the equipment

Which is why you can rent it! Most decent rental yards have 185 CFM Tow behinds and pressure pots. I own my blasting equipment because we use it in our mold remediation business, but compared to what you can charge, the rental fees and fuel are minor costs. 

Sodium Hydroxide and a bit of pressure would have been ideal, but hell it looks good and the customers happy.

I think next time though stick to your guns. Your the Pro and educating the homeowner on your professional opinion only makes you look more professional in the customers eyes.

This customer scared the wood(like most do) because he's not a professional.

IIt wasnt really sticking to my guns we messed it up with his pressure washer and was worried said only way we would be hired is if we use low pressure and heavy bleach then acid wash after. he was really happy hope we can stain it

I have a crew that follows me and stains decks and when they dont have decks they float between me and my land scape bussiness where needed. weve installed ready seal, deck scapes restore, and deck over little bit of sickens but ive never done a cabin i assume it just be a big up right deck but if i get it and your willing to help I will deffinetly call for some advice