What is the difference between a 1/4" #30 and a #40 meg nozzle?

The orifice in the #30 is smaller than the #40.          #30 represents a smaller GPM rating than a #40. 

I guess that's what you were asking?

*The output of your pump and hose size will determine which works best for any given setup.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff

Nozzle size selection will vary by pump type. The advantages to being able to run smaller nozzles are material savings,  control and flexibility to spray into spaces when there are plants or surfaces that could be negatively effected by your mix. A good example would be a roof where you have awnings right underneath and no gutters, or a roof where the siding running right up against the roof is unfinished Cedar and you don't want to bleach it out. The finer the control you have over your rate of flow, the better job you can do as a cleaner. 

Electric, you are pretty much limited in how small you can go...030 is about the smallest with 040 being safer if you run one of the bigger electrics like a FB2. Too small and you short cycle the pump and burn out the pressure switches or relay, and eventually the pump. You can run as big as you want' just watch your pump temps running extended times. If is okay to throttle your electric pump back for a short time but any extended period will lead to bad things. If you hear it short cycling a lot, breakage is imminent. Using a fresh accumulator helps a bit. If you find yourself needing a smaller or more limited flow on electric a lot, either buy a smaller pump as a secondary, or switch to air. 

Air, you can run as small as you want or as big as you want with one caveat....you need to have enough air CFM to still push fluid through the hose and overcome the line pressure running small. Running 010 mist nozzles is normally possible as long as your compressor is adequate. Remember, the smaller the nozzle, the higher the pressure. It takes force to run the fluid against that pressure. Again, you can run as big as you want.

Gas AG pump. You will need to play around with how small you can go...it all comes down to the sensitivity of your particular bypass valve until it shuts. You can run as big as you want. 

Edited by PeakOfPerfection
spellification

I use air but have been using the Pressure Tek Jrod nozzle set paired with the 5850 (#1530 nozzle)which is what I initially bought to clean roofs with. I like the flexibility of the different degree nozzles. Because of a rusty holder, I just bought a Jrod setup made for the 7850 (#40 nozzles) for a little more flow and I plan on using both 15 degree nozzles on the same holder for a little more flexibility. I do have the Master nozzle which is awesome but I use that for rinsing the roof with my water booster and mean green hose (Great hose love the set up).

Now that Im using a water booster. There is no need in my neck of the woods to purchase a large compressor for my Hastelloy 1" pump. Its for sale.

Edited by ReNew Roof & Exterior cleaning

Nozzle size selection will vary by pump type. The advantages to being able to run smaller nozzles are material savings,  control and flexibility to spray into spaces when there are plants or surfaces that could be negatively effected by your mix. A good example would be a roof where you have awnings right underneath and no gutters, or a roof where the siding running right up against the roof is unfinished Cedar and you don't want to bleach it out. The finer the control you have over your rate of flow, the better job you can do as a cleaner. 

Electric, you are pretty much limited in how small you can go...030 is about the smallest with 040 being safer if you run one of the bigger electrics like a FB2. Too small and you short cycle the pump and burn out the pressure switches or relay, and eventually the pump. You can run as big as you want' just watch your pump temps running extended times. If is okay to throttle your electric pump back for a short time but any extended period will lead to bad things. If you hear it short cycling a lot, breakage is imminent. Using a fresh accumulator helps a bit. If you find yourself needing a smaller or more limited flow on electric a lot, either buy a smaller pump as a secondary, or switch to air. 

Air, you can run as small as you want or as big as you want with one caveat....you need to have enough air CFM to still push fluid through the hose and overcome the line pressure running small. Running 010 mist nozzles is normally possible as long as your compressor is adequate. Remember, the smaller the nozzle, the higher the pressure. It takes force to run the fluid against that pressure. Again, you can run as big as you want.

Gas AG pump. You will need to play around with how small you can go...it all comes down to the sensitivity of your particular bypass valve until it shuts. You can run as big as you want. 

Great Post Kevin, and it is true, with an air pump, you can run as small a nozzle as you want. Honestly, I shake my head at why anyone would want to run any thing but an air pump ?

Before we started using air pumps, breakdowns were a common thing for us. Now, pump breakdowns are nearly unknown :) 

Gene, I'd do it in a second..If I had a 3/4" pump. They are rare as hens teeth, especially in Kynar. Besides which, I thought Jim was buying it from you? 

Edited by PeakOfPerfection