woody70

Walkable Roofs

Just curious as to what pitch ya'll consider walkable?  What pitch are you OK at and at what pitch is sketchy?  I use a pitch app on my iphone and its says the pitch on my roof is 8.  I can get on it, but the feet can easily start sliding out from under me.  Does anyone have any war stories of getting on a roof and then realizing it was a little too steep?  Maybe started sliding down said roof?  Look forward to the stories.

Just curious as to what pitch ya'll consider walkable?  What pitch are you OK at and at what pitch is sketchy?  I use a pitch app on my iphone and its says the pitch on my roof is 8.  I can get on it, but the feet can easily start sliding out from under me.  Does anyone have any war stories of getting on a roof and then realizing it was a little too steep?  Maybe started sliding down said roof?  Look forward to the stories.

LOL, I wish I had a dollar, for every roof I slid off. 6/12 is generally safe, and 8/12 is always questionable, depending on granule loss, etc, etc.  Good shoes with grip make a difference.

I was thinking of investing in some cougar paws.  Everyone has there opinion on them being overpriced.  Some swear by them, others love skaters shoes (Vanns and such).  I do have granule loss on my roof which was why I was hesitant to get on it.  I'd be fine on the valleys or walking peak, but just being out on the open part of the roof with granule loss was to much of a concern for me.  

I was thinking of investing in some cougar paws.  Everyone has there opinion on them being overpriced.  Some swear by them, others love skaters shoes (Vanns and such).  I do have granule loss on my roof which was why I was hesitant to get on it.  I'd be fine on the valleys or walking peak, but just being out on the open part of the roof with granule loss was to much of a concern for me.  

Here in Tampa, 90% of roofs are not steep, but many roof cleaners like the Cougar Paws. I used to like deck shoes for boats, with very soft soles

I had one I thought I could walk a small section to get another piece without having to move my ladder. Got one step, the granule loss was so bad I had to splay out like a cat. Be very careful. Some roofs can be deceiving. I wear cheapo tread safe shoes on the roof, and they work pretty good, but loose granules can be like walking on marbles. 

Thankfully like Chris said, most roofs here in Florida aren't too steep and I don't have a problem walking them. 

If you ask me, $150 - $170 is a small price to pay for the additional traction and safety afforded by Cougar Paws for composite shingles..  You won't catch me on a roof (don't like heights), but any member of my team that walks them, gets a pair.  And they get replacement pads often, and unfortunately, even new boots fairly often.  The SH is very hard on them - the male side of the Velcro gets weak and brittle like other plastics exposed to SH for extended periods of time, and they begin to break off after a couple of months of use.  Once that happens, in to the garbage they go.

Think about it this way - if someone is laid up in the ER, the expense of those boots will seem like mouse nuts in the grand scheme of things.

Get a pair Woody, and I can just about betcha, you won't walk a roof again without them.  Oh yeah, 8/12 is about the max pitch.

I will be investing in some cougar paws.  I'd rather have the peace of mind of better traction.  I saw some roofers using foam tacos.  They had wrapped the foam cushion they using to kneel on around there shoes and wrapped it with a bungee cord and were walking all around a steep roof.  I know it doesn't look professional, but hey, you could always use that in a pinch.  Every roof in my subdivision is an 8 or higher.  And a lot have granule loss from defective shingles.  Looks like I will be using a ladder for most of these, but I'm going to hop on my roof later today with some foam and see how it is.  

I had one I thought I could walk a small section to get another piece without having to move my ladder. Got one step, the granule loss was so bad I had to splay out like a cat. Be very careful. Some roofs can be deceiving. I wear cheapo tread safe shoes on the roof, and they work pretty good, but loose granules can be like walking on marbles. 

Thankfully like Chris said, most roofs here in Florida aren't too steep and I don't have a problem walking them. 

LOL, I can see myself splaying out like a cat if that happens.  we can chuckle about it when you're safely back on the ground, but when it is happening to you it is no fun!  

What Ted says. Cougar Paws are a must. Your well being is worth it. 8:12 is the max pitch I will walk on.

I think that is going to be the max I'm going to walk on too.  I've seen guys on youtube walking what seemed like cliffs, but the shingles were in excellent shape and they were experienced.  I looked at one today where I'm doing some landscaping and they have serious granule loss.  Won't be walking on that one either.  I am going to try the shoe taco on my roof though.  Once the cougar paws come in I'll switch over.  I missed one little tiny spot on my roof at the very peak.  I have to look hard but I can see it and it'll drive me crazy.  

BE SURE TO INSPECT THE COUGAR PAW PADS BEFORE HEADING OUT FOR THE DAY. I was once on a roof with an 8:12 pitch. Just as I finished the job and while still on the roof one of the pads fell off! The burrs that hold the pad on were all wore off. I could have slipped and fallen as I would have had zero traction. So be warned, safety first!!!

Anything that good is worth the money. I may be looking into a pair myself. One thing I never try to scrimp or save on is my equipment. Even if you can't afford the biggest baddest thing there is, you certainly can't afford not to buy quality. You also can't afford to not buy something that makes your job easier. 

Like Chris said, most of the roofs we walk on here have a pretty low pitch. Shingle roofs are one thing but on some tile roofs, even without much of a pitch they can be slippery and very dangerous. 

Especially a glazed tile roof. Even it it had zero pitch I would not walk on it. It would be like walking on a marble floor covered with dish soap!