Howie Scarboro

Fall protection tip, rafter tie off and hip anchor

I was doing some research today for my main job and came across this video.  He shows how easy it is to install an anchor and then seal the holes.  The other tip is a new one, simply remove a roof vents and tie off to a rafter. 

Nice! Im trying to decide whether to do permanent anchors, OR a temporary anchor every time like he did. 

Also deciding between under the cap OR just on top of everything the way he did in the video. 

I was doing some research today for my main job and came across this video.  He shows how easy it is to install an anchor and then seal the holes.  The other tip is a new one, simply remove a roof vents and tie off to a rafter. 

Nice! Im trying to decide whether to do permanent anchors, OR a temporary anchor every time like he did. 

Also deciding between under the cap OR just on top of everything the way he did in the video. 

Still can't figure why anyone would go to so much effort to spray a steep roof.  Why not just spray them from the roof edge at the top of the ladder. SOOOO much easier.  

*Notice I didn't use question marks,.because I asked it in a rhetorical fashion,...this has been done to death over the years and I've heard all the reasons why,..and I'm sure they haven't changed,..along with my astonishment every time I see it come up.

Jeff

Still can't figure why anyone would go to so much effort to spray a steep roof.  Why not just spray them from the roof edge at the top of the ladder. SOOOO much easier.  

*Notice I didn't use question marks,.because I asked it in a rhetorical fashion,...this has been done to death over the years and I've heard all the reasons why,..and I'm sure they haven't changed,..along with my astonishment every time I see it come up.

Jeff

So you never have a problem doing most everything from the ladder?

Im just getting a feel for things and trying to find out what works best for me. I just thought being on the roof minimizes run off, minimizes the amount of mix you use, makes things easier, etc. it's not that I want to ever get up there haha..... I'm just trying to figure it all out. 

Hey Troy,..no issues at all with spraying from the roof edge (Top of ladder)  NONE!!   Controlling runoff is accomplished by the guy spraying,..not the pitch of the roof,...Spray it slow,..and you'll get a feel for how fast  you can go,..learn how to apply and you'll never need to get on the roof. Troy I used to use a pump sprayer about 17 years ago,..with all the knowledge and pumps available to us now,..there is NO reason at all to be getting on a roof,...wait,..there is one reason,...ONLY if the roof is so FLAT that  the mix won't readily roll down the roof. Getting on these steep roofs is NOT needed.  With the right pump,.a few simple extensions for odd angles sometimes,..but there is always a way to do residential without getting on the roof.  AND ,.even if there is the odd roof that can't be done,..just pass it up,.not worth the risk.

Jeff

Hey Troy,..no issues at all with spraying from the roof edge (Top of ladder)  NONE!!   Controlling runoff is accomplished by the guy spraying,..not the pitch of the roof,...Spray it slow,..and you'll get a feel for how fast  you can go,..learn how to apply and you'll never need to get on the roof. Troy I used to use a pump sprayer about 17 years ago,..with all the knowledge and pumps available to us now,..there is NO reason at all to be getting on a roof,...wait,..there is one reason,...ONLY if the roof is so FLAT that  the mix won't readily roll down the roof. Getting on these steep roofs is NOT needed.  With the right pump,.a few simple extensions for odd angles sometimes,..but there is always a way to do residential without getting on the roof.  AND ,.even if there is the odd roof that can't be done,..just pass it up,.not worth the risk.

Jeff

I like where you're coming from Jeff. 

I'm glad I have more than a pump up sprayer though haha.

I've always felt the way you're saying but the more thinking and reading I do, the more my thoughts tend to change. 

I think I'm going with what you say for now, which is what I had intended on until recently. Hopefully my ladder with stabilizers and standoff will do the trick for most all residential. 

And like you said I'll learn and improve as I go for sure.     

Troy,..you'll be much happier doing it this way,..you also don't have hose dragging around through roof mix and then getting onto the grass when you come down. I can be rinsed off sure,..but that's just another step that's not needed.  Go to the top of the ladder, and spray,..so much simpler.  This whole climbing around on roofs has been done and is done by many guys to this day,..and I can't figure it out. I really can't.,..especially when they get into rigging ropes and tie off points and everything,..if the roof is that steep, simply let the pitch spread the "Love"  cover the roof for you. 

*Love is a term coined by Chris Tucker years ago by the way.

Jeff

I didn't even think about dragging the hose through the mix. I was up on my ladder today messing around at my 2 story house and I actually like the roof edge from the ladder, it was sturdy and feels like I will have no problem doing it that way most of the time

It'd be nice to not have to get on a roof.  But cleaning solely from the edge just isn't going to happen in the Pacific Northwest.  The roofs can be covered with all kinds of growth and fallen debris, pitch of roof can help preventing massive build-ups, but it still requires on-the-roof to remove.  Doug Fir needles are difficult to blow off from the top down, I wouldn't want to try and remove them standing only at the gutter line—I'd still be at the first job years ago.  Moss is so much easier rinsing off from top down as well.

I can't speak for others, but these are some of the reasons we harness up and get in the roof.

Hey Jim,..yea there are different circumstances,..and it sounds like getting on the roof may be needed for the work you mentioned. Kinda like doing roof repair,..couldn't do that from the roof edge neither.  There are always exceptions to the "rule".  So I guess I am talking about guys spraying basic roofs,..like many of us here on the East Coast see. Also,.I know some rinse moss and some don't. I prefer to let it fall off on it's own,..but again,..different mindsets among contractors in any service.

Jeff

Here is my experience. I find that the work goes fast and is easier if spraying from the roof assuming the slope is not steep. Simply walking on the roof versus moving the ladder around and climbing up and down is much easier. Especially when dealing with an extension ladder for a 2-story house. However with that said, I am hiring a spray technician this year to replace me. My policy will be to spray from the ladder where feasible and climb on the roof only when absolutely necessary. This will be to mitigate safety, insurance and legal issues.

Here is my experience. I find that the work goes fast and is easier if spraying from the roof assuming the slope is not steep. Simply walking on the roof versus moving the ladder around and climbing up and down is much easier. Especially when dealing with an extension ladder for a 2-story house. However with that said, I am hiring a spray technician this year to replace me. My policy will be to spray from the ladder where feasible and climb on the roof only when absolutely necessary. This will be to mitigate safety, insurance and legal issues.

I'm the one right now on the roof with helpers on the ground, but I too want to get off the roof.  I'm seriously thinking of sending my guys to Reality Rope Access for training/certification.  I ordered their manual a few years back and it is very thorough.

This business has risks, chemicals-power-heights-driving, and managing risk is so important!  But, avoiding any risk is profit avoidance.