newguyroofer

How long does a SH/Gain Ultra Mix Last?

How long would a SH mix last with Gain Ultra in it?  I want to create a large batch to test out on my own roof and my cousins roof, but my cousin isn't ready for a month and a half.  If I mixed this today would it stay stable for 1.5 months?

I've had other SH mixes with surfactents such as laundry detergent and they decay within a week or so, creating gases, white chunks floating on top and sinking to the bottom.  Also when left in 5 gallon jugs they expand quite a bit (also turning clear).

Thanks for helping a new guy trying to learn some things!!

Also, how long would a mix with Ammonyx LO last in the shop already mixed with SH?  I'm starting out and it's much easier to mix this stuff up in bulk ahead of time.  Just don't wanna waste an entire batch :/

Laundry detergents are not compatible with SH and kill the mix rather quickly. a lot of things need to be considered in the answer. Color of storage container, temp of storage location, totally sealed container, strength of SH when bought, etc.  If it weakens you can always add more SH to boost it back up.

Laundry detergents are not compatible with SH and kill the mix rather quickly. a lot of things need to be considered in the answer. Color of storage container, temp of storage location, totally sealed container, strength of SH when bought, etc.  If it weakens you can always add more SH to boost it back up.

They are stored in 5 gallon jugs that are sealed until we take them out to the job site.  I've had jugs ballon up with laundry detergent and SH mix, and they also produce a white chunky substance on the top of the mix after a couple weeks. 

I realized quickly how dumb of an idea it was to use detergent once I realized you can't find any detergents with common bleach already in them, DOH!

I'm just worried about that white crap happening from the use of ammonyx LO or gain :)

Also how do you pronounce Ammonyx LO?

The roof cleaning mix should always be mixed, with the idea of using it very soon. Even water mixed in the SH will weaken it, because the water dilutes the sodium hydroxide that stabilizes the SH.

Always add any soap/surfactant the day you plan to use your mix. This is always the best strategy.

Ammonyx is pronounced Ah Mon IX 

The roof cleaning mix should always be mixed, with the idea of using it very soon. Even water mixed in the SH will weaken it, because the water dilutes the sodium hydroxide that stabilizes the SH.

Always add any soap/surfactant the day you plan to use your mix. This is always the best strategy.

Ammonyx is pronounced Ah Mon IX 

Could adding sodium hydroxide to the mix extend the shelf life?  I have a small amount of experince with basic chemestry, but nothing like you have, sir!  I do know the dangers of sodium hydroxide though :)!  Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, just trying to learn :)

Also compared to Gain Ultra, how much of a concentration of Ammonyx LO is in Hang Tite?

Could adding sodium hydroxide to the mix extend the shelf life?  I have a small amount of experince with basic chemestry, but nothing like you have, sir!  I do know the dangers of sodium hydroxide though :)!  Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, just trying to learn :)

Also compared to Gain Ultra, how much of a concentration of Ammonyx LO is in Hang Tite?

Hang Tite does have a higher percentage of Ammonyx LO then what is in Gain, and it costs more too. 

Yes, a little added extra S Hydroxide will extend shelf life of of the SH a little, but not what you are asking for.

I try to keep everything as fresh as possible and mix just a little more than what I need for the day. If I do have any unused mix sitting for a week or so I simply boost it by adding a little more SH to it.

A great Plan, but if the mix is very very old and weak, sometimes it is best to shit can it, and start fresh.

The Chlorine evaporates/weakens, the salt does not. Adding say 30 gallons of fresh SH, to a 60 gallon mix of old roof cleaning chemical, will clean roofs, but it will also kill plants faster then you will believe.

A great Plan, but if the mix is very very old and weak, sometimes it is best to shit can it, and start fresh.

The Chlorine evaporates/weakens, the salt does not. Adding say 30 gallons of fresh SH, to a 60 gallon mix of old roof cleaning chemical, will clean roofs, but it will also kill plants faster then you will believe.

Agreed. I'm talking only one to two weeks old. 

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

I went ahead and setup 8 sample containers to run a 3 month test on checking weekly PH/Available levels.  I'm always curious, and love testing things out!  I'll post the results here :)

I won't say what chemicals I'm adding to the test mixes just yet, but each one has a stabilizing agent and different amounts/types of surfactant in it.  Should be a fun test :)

I went ahead and setup 8 sample containers to run a 3 month test on checking weekly PH/Available levels.  I'm always curious, and love testing things out!  I'll post the results here :)

I won't say what chemicals I'm adding to the test mixes just yet, but each one has a stabilizing agent and different amounts/types of surfactant in it.  Should be a fun test :)

Good Job! No one has done this before, and it will be very useful information for all roof cleaners.

NewGuyRoofer, you're sounding like Chris Tucker now...LOL. What will you use to measure the PH?

I read above that you shouldn't mix laundry detergent with SH, but I read in my other places that it's the standard mix.

I know the SH kills the enzymes, but I just want to make sure this is what you mean.

I use Biozet http://www.biozet.com.au/laundry_powder.php with SH and baking soda to boost the SH.

The Biozet has surfactants already in it, it also clings well.

I know you guys always talk about gain, should I try to find an Aussie alternative to that instead?

Thanks

Gain is chlorine compatable an will not harm the mix. It is dishwashing liquid, not laundry soap. Look at dish liquids and see if ny say its OK to mix with bleach.if Gain is not available over there.

I read above that you shouldn't mix laundry detergent with SH, but I read in my other places that it's the standard mix.

I know the SH kills the enzymes, but I just want to make sure this is what you mean.

I use Biozet http://www.biozet.com.au/laundry_powder.php with SH and baking soda to boost the SH.

The Biozet has surfactants already in it, it also clings well.

I know you guys always talk about gain, should I try to find an Aussie alternative to that instead?

Thanks

Please do not overthink this roof cleaning stuff. Plenty of roofs are cleaned with ONLY water and sodium hypochlorite, and no soap of any kind at all! 

Thanks, I haven't cleaned any roofs so far, but pressure washed plenty of e.g brick paving in my time.

I use straight 12.5% SH mixed with baking soda and laundry powder and DOWNSTREAM it.

Honestly the results are often painfully slow and require a lot of pressure. I spray over the same pavers up to 5 times and let it soak for 20 mins, but many spots are stubborn and some leave mold spot stains that I just can't remove. So I spray straight algaecide on and leave it for a few weeks to lift.

This is why I want a 12volt soft washing kit. For roofs, soft washing and to apply chems to paving and driveways where I just can't seem to get the strength.

My Pressure washer uses a venturi injector and is 4GPM. By the time it downstreams I think the SH is about 0.2%!