Rj Mac

SH or CH what is the difference?

Chris, I found a recipe for applesauce on PWI , it included TSP and Borax. It was a old post when some guys were going to make a cookbook. I am having trouble finding a source for 12.5% sh, the Leslie's pool supply here doesn't carry any liquid sh, just granular CH which I have seen some post over there about using that, but I have seen others say that it leaves white streaks on black roofs. Back to the TSP and Borax would that boost my weak SH 8.25% is easy to get a sam's club but cleaning the roof as fast as possible i am sure would make more MONEY. Could I use the CH instead or am I asking for trouble?  

Check and see if there is a Univar Chemical close by. Ch will leave a white film on everything it touches. Doug Rucker can tell you about the nitemare he experienced usuing  a powered bleach solution he purchased from AC.. Worst mistake he ever made. 

Borax and/or TSP will help your solution, but hard to dissolve unless you use hot water to mix with.

I have read about what happened to Doug, we have a Harcos chemical distributor but those guys are hard to deal with and the required purchase amount is out of the question. There is a pool supply in Concord near Charlotte that has liquid SH, that is a 125 mile round trip for me. If the TSP and Borax will give me a boost, I could mix that at the shop before heading out and then add SH on site.

What does the local water Co. use?  Any large laundry Co. close by? Ask around and see if you can buy from them. Harcros won't let you buy 1 or 2.  53 gal drums at a time. Explain that might go up as your business grows.  Good Luck.

Get with both of the certified members in the directory and see where they buy from. Maybe you 3 could combine an order?

Actually was purchased from powerwashstore.com. and believe me that was far from the worst mistake I ever made. Actually not even on the radar for me as far as mistakes are concerned...lol

But...I agree on the white scale.  I strongly recommend against the use of powdered CH.  I have never seen it used yet where it did not leave the white scale. Don

't make things harder than they have to be, use liquid SH.

If you want to "boost" your SH to clean faster use less water when diluting it. You can also add some Fresh and Clear from Leslies pool supply.  We use it in the winter time to boost our mix.

Also see if you can find a Pool Supply store and see if they carry 10% liquid pool shock.  Leslies here also does not carry SH, but there are manny other's that do.

Actually was purchased from powerwashstore.com. and believe me that was far from the worst mistake I ever made. Actually not even on the radar for me as far as mistakes are concerned...lol

But...I agree on the white scale.  I strongly recommend against the use of powdered CH.  I have never seen it used yet where it did not leave the white scale. Don

't make things harder than they have to be, use liquid SH.

If you want to "boost" your SH to clean faster use less water when diluting it. You can also add some Fresh and Clear from Leslies pool supply.  We use it in the winter time to boost our mix.

Also see if you can find a Pool Supply store and see if they carry 10% liquid pool shock.  Leslies here also does not carry SH, but there are manny other's that do.

I have a Leslie's close by and very convenient to most of my service area. Can you post an example of a mix that would be using 8% SH and the Leslie's fresh and clear? I appreciate your help with this.

You can find 12.5% at The Great Escape which I believe is a national chain.

Dave, looks like those guys are just a chain store in your neck of the woods. Thanks for the effort I appreciate any and all help.

I have a Leslie's close by and very convenient to most of my service area. Can you post an example of a mix that would be using 8% SH and the Leslie's fresh and clear? I appreciate your help with this.

Whatever your mix you are using just add a 1/2 a bag and see if that works for you.  If needed add more till you get to where you like it.  We only use it in cold weather here, high 30's and 40's, 

Thanks Doug, I will give it a try. I did find one pool supplier that can get me 12.5% SH...15 gallon drum...$65 dollars....by the time I pick up running about $4.67 a gallon. I'm thinking OUCH!

Try adding baking soda. It boosts bleach. I use it in my mix and find the bleach is far more effective.

When using the SH, be sure and have your PH at PH 12 or above, for maximum formation of the Hypochlorite ION.

Baking Soda, Sodium Hydroxide, and TSP are all things that can be used to raise PH, and so can Sodium Metasilicate.

SH has 2 components, one is the Hyperchlorus acid, it forms at lower PH's, and is a disinfectant, one reason why we add acid to our swimming pools, to bring down the PH.

However, for roof cleaning, we want the Hypochlorite ION to form, and it wants to be at PH 12 or higher.

Brian, I may have a research project for you Mate !

That's fantastic info Chris.I haven't found a simple outline of sh additive info like that anywhere.

Whilst I know tsp can make a Gray single roof shine,I just find baking soda more universal and safer around paint and windows.

Are there any draw backs to sodium hydroxide in a roof or house cleaning mix?

Oh yeah research project. Fine I'll go find out. Lol :)

OK, there IS a sodium hypochlorite "activator" I found once. I can't seem to find it now. I should have marked it as a favorite, but forgot to, and plus, it is from India.

It is made to increase the ability of Sodium Hypochlorite to remove dye from clothing, and so because it increases the oxidation potential (cleaning power) of Sodium Hypochlorite, it will also increase the roof cleaning abilities.

That's fantastic info Chris.I haven't found a simple outline of sh additive info like that anywhere.

Whilst I know tsp can make a Gray single roof shine,I just find baking soda more universal and safer around paint and windows.

Are there any draw backs to sodium hydroxide in a roof or house cleaning mix?

No drawbacks to using more Sodium Hydroxide, as long as you don't exceed 5% of the total solution. 

ALL Sodium Hypochlorite contains some Sodium Hydroxide, that is left over from the manufacturing process, and is intentionally left in it, to help increase shelf life.

Is there any point at which sh can be boosted/activated so well that it could cause damage? I.e start turning shingles lighter in color

Well, it all depends on what way you go on the PH. If you go for high ph, then you are activating the Hypochlorite ION, and it is pretty safe. But, if you drop the PH, down to PH 7 let's say, you wind up with an oxidizer that can be nearly 100 times stronger.

The problem with dropping the PH of Sodium Hypochlorite below PH 8 is this YOU CAN BE KILLED !!!!!

This is how Mustard Gas was made back in WW1, and it will flat KILL YOU !

I had a friend who cleaned river rock on swimming pool decks by first spraying the deck with an acid solution, and then he hit it with a sodium hypochlorite solution. The acid turbocharged the sodium hypochlorite, and it cleaned like all get out. But it was always done outside, with a gas mask! 

DO NOT< I REPEAT< DO NOT ADD ACID TO SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE< UNLESS YOU WANT TO DIE

Check and see if there is a Univar Chemical close by. Ch will leave a white film on everything it touches. Doug Rucker can tell you about the nitemare he experienced usuing  a powered bleach solution he purchased from AC.. Worst mistake he ever made. 

Borax and/or TSP will help your solution, but hard to dissolve unless you use hot water to mix with.