OEFBlACK2010

12% Pool store Chlorine or 65-70% Calcium hypochlorite pool shock?

So essentially the softwash process is achieved through a process of oxidation and microbial breakdown...So does it matter whether the oxidation process is achieved through a solution of SH,Cl, or Calcium Hypochlorite.

Calcium Hypochlorite having a higher available level of chlorine seems to be the most efficient base component in a softwash solution (if diluted correctly) and especially in a High Test Hypochlorite form (like that of pool shock products). 

All of these products will be rendered inert when exposed to harsh temperatures so there is no extended cleaning life, however, they will leave behind there sodium chloride (salt) base compound, and with the Calcium Hypochlorite having larger amounts of available chlorine it will in turn have higher levels of salt biproduct. Other then a little more time spent on a rinse down of the Calcium Hypochlorite to avoid rain runoff concentrations killing plants, i am failing to figure out why this is not the base component for a softwash dilution, when it is stronger and can be diluted down to safe levels for vinyl and paint, it is more cost effective, and it is more resistant to temperature and UV eposure.

HTH or High Test Hypochlorite typically has 65-70% available Chlorine

Generic Calcium Hypochlorite contains approx 25-30% available Chlorine

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/emergencies/fs2_19.pdf

So essentially the softwash process is achieved through a process of oxidation and microbial breakdown...So does it matter whether the oxidation process is achieved through a solution of SH,Cl, or Calcium Hypochlorite.

Calcium Hypochlorite having a higher available level of chlorine seems to be the most efficient base component in a softwash solution (if diluted correctly) and especially in a High Test Hypochlorite form (like that of pool shock products). 

All of these products will be rendered inert when exposed to harsh temperatures so there is no extended cleaning life, however, they will leave behind there sodium chloride (salt) base compound, and with the Calcium Hypochlorite having larger amounts of available chlorine it will in turn have higher levels of salt biproduct. Other then a little more time spent on a rinse down of the Calcium Hypochlorite to avoid rain runoff concentrations killing plants, i am failing to figure out why this is not the base component for a softwash dilution, when it is stronger and can be diluted down to safe levels for vinyl and paint, it is more cost effective, and it is more resistant to temperature and UV eposure.

HTH or High Test Hypochlorite typically has 65-70% available Chlorine

Generic Calcium Hypochlorite contains approx 25-30% available Chlorine

http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygiene/emergencies/fs2_19.pdf

There are 2 components in Chlorine, one that does the cleaning, and one that does the disinfecting.

Trust us, and forget all about any granular chlorine, and use ONLY the 12 to 15% liquid sodium hypochlorite.

The granular calcium hypochlorite will do this to a roof! post-1-0-25036000-1389367906_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-27422100-1389367907_thumb.jpg

There are 2 components in Chlorine, one that does the cleaning, and one that does the disinfecting.

Trust us, and forget all about any granular chlorine, and use ONLY the 12 to 15% liquid sodium hypochlorite.

The granular calcium hypochlorite will do this to a roof! attachicon.gifclyde.jpgattachicon.gifClydes%252520seal%252520of%252520Approval.jpg

I talked to him for about an hour last night....I think he understands now. He's in that same spot we were all in at one time...the honeymoon phase.

I remember kicking around all kinds of ideas when I had time to dream. He sounds like a pretty smart cookie and I'm sure he'll understand all the advice after he get's rolling.

Barry was a huge help, and a wealth of knowledge on the importance of SEO, and Networking. I plan on implementing much of his knowledge to my website, and id suggest anyone who would like to further their business, to talk to Barry about his SEO strategies.

On the note of Calicum Hypochlorite, my partner and i have decided to give it one try in an experimental phase, and in this attempt we are going to decrease the amount of Calcium and inert PPM biproduct, by letting the mix settle and floating our inlet hose at the top of the tank. Since the Chlorine gas will rise to the top of the solution leaving the heavier more dense particles at the bottom of the tank, we are thinking that this may fix the white residue hazing, that is caused by excessive PPM.

I will post a detailed narrative on the solution ratio and pictures if we succeed. Hopefully we can help.

Wish us luck, and thank you for the commendations!

You didn't fail Barry, we're just excepting the challenge while we can afford the chits an giggles.

We still plan on being more time efficient as opposed to being cost effective per your advice last night

and we are 100% tracking everything, and there were no communication errors.

Wish us luck Barry ;-)

You didn't fail Barry, we're just excepting the challenge while we can afford the chits an giggles.

We still plan on being more time efficient as opposed to being cost effective per your advice last night

and we are 100% tracking everything, and there were no communication errors.

Wish us luck Barry ;-)

As I told you on the phone...there are hundreds of people/companies that have gone off in search of a shippable roof cleaning powder...or as I call it, the roof cleaning "Holy Grail". I'm not going to name companies (since I don't like to give them and mentions) that currently sell hydroxide or oxy bleach. These people have more money, more people, more time and more motive to find the Holy Grail than you have.....and they still haven't! That's why they sell fear and talk about SH like it's nuclear waste.

Let's look at it from another perspective. In response to another post you made about "ladderless roof cleaning", I said I had made ladders obsolete (for me) by paying Ryan to assist me. Ryan is an expense just like SH. For arguments sake, lets say Ryan and SH cost me the same per Roof cleaning....let's use $40.

Let's first look at the value of the two:

• Ryan is very good at what he does. He knows what to do and when to do it. I don't have to manage him, I just bring him. Ryan makes my time per job shorter.
  • SH is very good at what it does. I don't have to worry about success because its chemistry. SH makes my time per job shorter.

Cost of the two:

• Assume a revenue of $400 per roof...my cost for SH and Ryan is 10% each.

Net earnings:

• Before other cost factors, I net $320 per job. Because of the value of time of SH and Ryan, I can clean 5 roofs per day. $320 X 5 = $1600.

Lets say I can hire a different helper for 5%. My net is now $340. However, because I lost the value of Ryan I can now only do 4 roof cleanings per day. $340 X 4 = $1360.

I've saved $80 in labor per day but lost $240 in earning.

Would you rather have a 2 GPM pressure washer or a 5GPM pressure washer? The 2GPM is cheaper....using your reasoning, it's the better purchase. Weed wacker vs riding mower? S10 vs 1 ton?

Cutting costs is one thing....cutting costs at the expense of productivity is another.

Are you developing another "gimmick cleaner" or are you a roof cleaner?

I talked to him for about an hour last night....I think he understands now. He's in that same spot we were all in at one time...the honeymoon phase.

I remember kicking around all kinds of ideas when I had time to dream. He sounds like a pretty smart cookie and I'm sure he'll understand all the advice after he get's rolling.

I like this guy Barry! 

He will learn! 

Barry was a huge help, and a wealth of knowledge on the importance of SEO, and Networking. I plan on implementing much of his knowledge to my website, and id suggest anyone who would like to further their business, to talk to Barry about his SEO strategies.

On the note of Calicum Hypochlorite, my partner and i have decided to give it one try in an experimental phase, and in this attempt we are going to decrease the amount of Calcium and inert PPM biproduct, by letting the mix settle and floating our inlet hose at the top of the tank. Since the Chlorine gas will rise to the top of the solution leaving the heavier more dense particles at the bottom of the tank, we are thinking that this may fix the white residue hazing, that is caused by excessive PPM.

I will post a detailed narrative on the solution ratio and pictures if we succeed. Hopefully we can help.

Wish us luck, and thank you for the commendations!

The PROBLEM with Calcium Hypochlorite for roof cleaning is this. The Chlorine is attached to Calcium, and when Calcium precipitates, it leaves a nasty ass scale that will be near impossible to remove from roof shingles, w/o using acid and pressure! 

Softened water can reduce this scale formation a little, but never eliminate it.

Even when the calcium hypochlorite does work for roof cleaning, it sucks, compared to Sodium Hypochlorite.

This is because the formation of the hypochlorite Ion is much less in calcium hypochlorite, then it is in sodium hypochlorite!

Like him, you like to tinker with new ideas....I'm quite happy using what works, what is highly predictable and repeatable. A 10% material cost is acceptable IMHO.

It is always good to tinker, just not on customers roofs! 

Calcium Hypochlorite leaves a white scale behind. If there were some way to eliminate it, it might have some use, since it is so easy to get.

It is always good to tinker, just not on customers roofs! 

Calcium Hypochlorite leaves a white scale behind. If there were some way to eliminate it, it might have some use, since it is so easy to get.

Some things cannot be improved or simplified. The best roof cleaning process is locked to the chemistry (and the EPA). Because SH enjoys a general exemption, I don't need to worry about the EPA crawling up my ass.

Some things cannot be improved or simplified. The best roof cleaning process is locked to the chemistry (and the EPA). Because SH enjoys a general exemption, I don't need to worry about the EPA crawling up my ass.

Calcium Hypochlorite is some reactive sfuff, and will explode if some break fluid gets on it!

Calcium Hypochlorite is some reactive sfuff, and will explode if some break fluid gets on it!

I wonder what the odds are that someone would have break fluid on a truck or in their shop/garage....

I did catch a trailer on fire once, not really a fire but a lot of smoke. I turned a PW'er around 180 degrees and wasn't thinking about the exhaust. It was pointing right at the side wall (enclosed trailer).

Thats some Reactive stuff.

It sure as hell is!

You can google scale formation with calcium hypochlorite, and see what we mean about it.

Seriously my friend, if there was something better then the SH to clean roofs with, we would be using it.

But you are to be commended for being inquisitive.

And by all means, experiment, but always be careful mixing shit ?

You only get one face, one set of eyes! 

I've never experimented with Calcium Hypochlorite/Powder.

I read a lot of negative things about it when I was a member in the

old forum.

I wish it worked well though!!!  Because S.H. is not as easy to get in Erie, PA.

I have to buy it in 5 gallon jugs from a pool supplier.

I agree with not experimenting on other peoples roofs.  This goes with all roofing products.

I tend to stay away from the "New" products until they prove themselves.