FPCS

can't you smell that smell....

Did a 3000 sqft shingle roof friday . Customer loved the results but made a comment about a smell today. I told them it was the cleaner and dead algae. That it would go away in a couple days.

Never seen any threads on this, not a big deal just curious of what others have answered with and if anyone has been asked about a smell??

You did the right thing by telling the customer that it would go away in a couple days. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. Just keep pointing out to them how clean there roof is. Take there attention away from the smell.

Good point. I will remember that advice on moving the attention to how clean the roof is. I will get some before and afters up soon. Need to go by there and take some good afters. The sun was a factor in the after photos the day of.

Maybe this should be something we present to the customer before the work is done. While explaining the cleaning process.

Did a 3000 sqft shingle roof friday . Customer loved the results but made a comment about a smell today. I told them it was the cleaner and dead algae. That it would go away in a couple days.

Never seen any threads on this, not a big deal just curious of what others have answered with and if anyone has been asked about a smell??

Another reason to  use a good amount of Liquid Gain Ultra Dishsoap in your roof cleaning mix! It helps with the awful smell, and when it rains especially.

Also we get 10.5 % bleach . Do you think we should bump our percentage ratio to maybe 30 to 35% bleach in our mix. We are having to touch up a lot when the roof isn't even that dirty . Just a thought.

Ok we have another big shingle roof job monday. Im going to bump the ratio to 35% and add more gain. This house on monday should produce some great before and after pictures.

Ok we have another big shingle roof job monday. Im going to bump the ratio to 35% and add more gain. This house on monday should produce some great before and after pictures.

Pinch A Penny has the best SH for roof cleaning in in Central Florida, usually. 

We use pinch a penny on occasion. Our main SH supplier is on the southside and sometimes pinch a penny is more convienent. But we get our SH from our main supplier for 1$ a gallon. Pinch a penny doesn't do that. Lol

A buck a gallon?? Wow we're paying $2.10 for 12.5% in the Washington DC area and we're getting 300 gal. a pop.. Competition between your suppliers must be fierce down there in the sunshine state..

We use pinch a penny on occasion. Our main SH supplier is on the southside and sometimes pinch a penny is more convienent. But we get our SH from our main supplier for 1$ a gallon. Pinch a penny doesn't do that. Lol

No, Pinch A Penny flat LOST our business, because they tried to jack our price way up on the roof cleaning chemical! 

I told them to get funked, and now all the SH we used to buy from them is turning into salt water, LOL

I do not like the SH from Leslie's Pool Supply.

Always remember this about SH.

The more Yellow it is, the better, for our purposes.

The more Yellow it is, the less refined it is, and the more Sodium Hydroxide it contains.

The more Sodium Hydroxide left in the SH, the longer the shelf life, and the better it cleans.

This is because Sodium Hydroxide is very Alkaline (High PH)

The cleaning action of SH is always best at HIGH PH (over PH 10)

The Disinfection action of SH is always better at LOW PH, and that is why we add Acid to our swimming pool water.

So, if you have a choice between different brands of SH, always get the Yellow Stuff !

Chris;

Quick question. Could a person add some sodium hydroxide to a drum of SH to make it stronger and last longer?

Yeah Richard. We have a lot of pools in the sunshine state. There is SH distributors on every corner and like every business down here they are cutting each others throats for business.

Thanks Chris for that advice. I will definitely keep that in mind. However we did ask our SH provider how often they fill their tanks with fresh SH. They saod they get them filled twice a week. But like mentioned before its only 10.5% .

Dido on the Gain. I started using it last year and love it. Also it saves me $$ on surfactant. When a HO mentions that it smells like a pool, I respond by telling them yes it smells like a clean disinfected pool. I also mention one of the ingredients is also used to kill the algae in pools.

Dido on the Gain. I started using it last year and love it. Also it saves me $$ on surfactant. When a HO mentions that it smells like a pool, I respond by telling them yes it smells like a clean disinfected pool. I also mention one of the ingredients is also used to kill the algae in pools.

LOL, and a large bottle of Gain is less money then Dawn, and better for cleaning roofs.

Some days we clean 4 to 6 roofs, and we would go broke buying shipped in surfactants.

Liquid Gain is as close as the nearest store, always ready to dump in the tanks, and go clean some roofs.

Some are unaware that Gain actually contains Ammonyx LO !

Ammonyx LO was discovered for roof cleaning, right here at the RCIA Forum.