RHQ

How do you guys handle solar water heaters?

Cleaned a few gutters around here in FL. and three or four of the houses had those rubber solar water heaters on the roof. Well of course one of my customers asked me today when I going to clean her roof. Apparently, when I was cleaning her gutters, I told her the roof needed to be cleaned. I was there today to help her prep for a tent fumigation, and I was reminded of the solar heater. How do you clean the roof when they have one of these rubber heaters covering a big section?

Cleaned a few gutters around here in FL. and three or four of the houses had those rubber solar water heaters on the roof. Well of course one of my customers asked me today when I going to clean her roof. Apparently, when I was cleaning her gutters, I told her the roof needed to be cleaned. I was there today to help her prep for a tent fumigation, and I was reminded of the solar heater. How do you clean the roof when they have one of these rubber heaters covering a big section?

The solar heaters are made out of chemical proof rubbers and plastics. Spray the roof as usual, and be sure to allow some of the chemicals to run under the solar panel, to kill any algae growth. Otherwise, the algae from under the solar panel can quickly grow out onto the roof. Do NOT step on the solar panels, trust me, they will break! 

Great question & answer! As an upgrade we sell an additional solar panel cleaning, we use a product called Solar Gleam. It's easy to use, scrub it on with a regular window pad and pole, then rinse. We charge an extra $5.00 per panel if we're already doing the roof, house or deck, I'd be curious to know what everyone else is getting and how your cleaning solar panels. Their everywhere now, even on my house!   :) 

Great question & answer! As an upgrade we sell an additional solar panel cleaning, we use a product called Solar Gleam. It's easy to use, scrub it on with a regular window pad and pole, then rinse. We charge an extra $5.00 per panel if we're already doing the roof, house or deck, I'd be curious to know what everyone else is getting and how your cleaning solar panels. Their everywhere now, even on my house!   :)

I had a ground man who would clean them on the weekends for our customers, to make him a little extra money. He used to detail Cars, and had gallons of generic Armorall that shined em right up, at least long enough to get paid! 

I listened to your first reply about not stepping on them because they will break. I was cleaning out gutters the other day and I Yanked on my hose and separated a section of pipe on the top of the heater. I told the home owner, and she said they just pull apart! I think I will stay away from them!